Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

JuiceBox 40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep. @jcanoe gave the technical explanation, but I'll fill in the history, because it's kind of interesting.

Actually...it's an older version.

The original UMC (Universal Mobile Connector) 1st generation that used to be included with all of the cars was built with changeable adapters and did 40A. At that time, they did also sell the Corded Mobile Connector version with the permanent plug. This was long before the Model 3 or the 2nd generation UMC.

So when Tesla finally got the Model 3 out, they also introduced the 2nd generation UMC that was reworked some. It had the temperature sensor in the plugs, and was built smaller, with thinner wire, and had a maximum of only 32A. But they continued selling the Corded Mobile Connector that was based on the older 1st Gen that did 40A.
Also, there were some incidents with the original 1st generation UMC overheating and starting electrical fires when charging at 40A. So 32A is now the limit for the Gen2 Mobile Connector

Also, there were some incidents with the original 1st generation UMC overheating and starting electrical fires when charging at 40A. So 32A is now the limit for the Gen2 Mobile Connector
That is probably a big one, and I think another reason of equal weight is that there are legally allowed to be 50A outlet types like 14-50 or 6-50 on 40A rated circuits. If people don't know that's what something is and plug into it, the old one could be drawing the full 40A on that 40A rated thinner wire for many hours, and if the breaker doesn't detect that soon enough, it could be a dangerous heat problem. So Tesla may have wanted to just not allow the possibility of that situation anymore, so whatever outlet the user plugs into will have the safer 80% usage.

That is probably a big one, and I think another reason of equal weight is that there are legally allowed to be 50A outlet types like 14-50 or 6-50 on 40A rated circuits. If people don't know that's what something is and plug into it, the old one could be drawing the full 40A on that 40A rated thinner wire for many hours, and if the breaker doesn't detect that soon enough, it could be a dangerous heat problem. So Tesla may have wanted to just not allow the possibility of that situation anymore, so whatever outlet the user plugs into will have the safer 80% usage.
The 40A breaker issue also exists when using the Corded Mobile Connector, right? You have to know the limitations.

Yep. @jcanoe gave the technical explanation, but I'll fill in the history, because it's kind of interesting.

Actually...it's an older version.

The original UMC (Universal Mobile Connector) 1st generation that used to be included with all of the cars was built with changeable adapters and did 40A. At that time, they did also sell the Corded Mobile Connector version with the permanent plug. This was long before the Model 3 or the 2nd generation UMC.

So when Tesla finally got the Model 3 out, they also introduced the 2nd generation UMC that was reworked some. It had the temperature sensor in the plugs, and was built smaller, with thinner wire, and had a maximum of only 32A. But they continued selling the Corded Mobile Connector that was based on the older 1st Gen that did 40A.
Interesting, I hadn’t noticed it for sale before. Thanks!