Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Juicebox Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The JuiceBox includes a built-in computer and WiFi hardware, which consumes a tiny amount of power 24/7. Tesla's Wall Connector includes no such hardware. Thus, I would expect that a JuiceBox will consume slightly more power than a Wall Connector; however, it's conceivable that some other difference I don't know about (say, if Tesla is secretly using Wall Connectors to mine Bitcoin, or more plausibly some subtle difference in how their electronics work) would counteract this effect. Of course, this effect is about the power use by the EVSEs themselves, not the charging efficiencies of the devices; but either way, it amounts to the JuiceBox using a tiny bit more power -- or at least, that's what I'd expect. I haven't actually measured this draw, so I don't know if it's real, or how much power it uses. I'd expect the difference to be pretty small -- probably akin to running a Raspberry Pi. AFAIK, other posters are correct about actual charging efficiencies -- if the EVSEs provide the same 32A at the same ~240v, then the charging efficiency should be identical.