Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Juicebox Pro Charging Problems w V10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

New owner here. Took delivery Wednesday. Have been driving an i3 for last two years, so had a juicebox pro already installed at home.

Charged the m3 without issue Wednesday night. Didn’t charge Thursday or Friday night. Upgraded to v10 this morning. Tried to charge this afternoon. My juicebox (which I have always had set at a 40a limit) flipped my 60a breaker. Repeated a few times. Figured it was a load issue at my house, so reduced the amperage limit on my juicebox to 24 and then 16. Same result — m3 would begin charging but then breaker would trip within 5 minutes, sometimes after as little as 15 seconds.

I still have my i3, and confirmed that it charges as usual! It is charging without issue at my usual 40a limit as I type.

Thoughts? I did some searching for v10 related home charging issues, but don’t see any reports.

Thanks!

Is your 60a breaker a GFI? It's possible that the GFI is what's tripping. That could explain why a software update might make a difference and why lowering the amperage doesn't help. If that's the case, you might have to swap the breaker out for a new one that isn't as sensitive.

Have you tried lowering the amps on the Model 3 charging screen?

Maybe the Jukebox is not respecting the limit you are setting it too for some reason.

The i3 only charges at a max of a 32Amps, so even if the Jukebox was not listening to your limit, it would not get to 40 Amps on the i3.

The Model 3 max is 48Amps, so in any case the 60 amp breaker should not be tripping. I'd have it checked. It could be some faulty wiring or a loose connection in the outlet.

Have a JB Pro 40 on a 50 amp dedicated circuit with my M3 on V10 (36.2.1) and do not have any breaker tripping issue. As @davewill mentioned - is your breaker a GFCI one? If so - it should not be. The JB has built in GFCI circuitry (albeit overly sensitive - but thats a discussion for another time) and so having two GFCI detection mechanisms on a circuit will cause problems.

Also make sure both your charging handle and Teslas adapter are clean and in good shape. I did not have breaker issues but a couple of times my 3 would not charge or will charge at a reduced rate and both times, it was due to, of all things, a spider that lodged itself in the charging holes in the Teslas adapter...