Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Juicy tidbits on Autopilot, deep learning, Tesla's advantage from Nov 3 Mobileye Call

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's amazing how the leading-edge car I bought eight months ago, which has had a transformational software upgrade and will soon have two substantial hardware upgrades (LTE and ludicrous) will be completely obsolete six months from now after the new sensor suite comes out.

"completely obsolete" == "in the top 99th percentile of all vehicles on the road"

How long until we see a thread that someone bought a car that was advertised with "Full Auto Pilot" and now they find out that the system is only "Lane Keeping Assist" and they are now either demanding compensation for their horrendous loss or a free retrofit with a full 8 camera autopilot system? :rolleyes:

Surely I jest, but let's hope!

This is why I will very likely push my production build out to May and move it forward (hopefully) when all this goodness is announced.

Totally agree. If I was rolling in it I'd leap in and enjoy the existing capabilities but since autonomous driving is a priority for me, I won't get the MX until I know it has the required hardware.

I'm willing to wait for the full implementation with the new hardware just like those who waited for the MS autopilot roll out.

Mobileye can't possibly know if their next hardware suite is good enough for autonomous driving. Straubel recently said nine years, which means he doesn't know how or when autonomous driving will happen. In three years the newest Tesla may go from home to work without human intervention, but not safely or legally without the driver providing oversight in the drivers seat.

Full autonomous driving is the option of choosing to get in the front seat or back seat.

It's amazing how the leading-edge car I bought eight months ago, which has had a transformational software upgrade and will soon have two substantial hardware upgrades (LTE and ludicrous) will be completely obsolete six months from now after the new sensor suite comes out.

Heck, mine's obsolete and it hasn't even been delivered yet! Based on what I'm reading around here, it's par for the course of being a Tesla owner.

Heck, mine's obsolete and it hasn't even been delivered yet! Based on what I'm reading around here, it's par for the course of being a Tesla owner.

Pretty much. I think obsolete is a strong term though. Your system will stop get better and better over time as system improves but just won't have any of fancy new features a new system might have.

... curves, barriers, [indiscernible] drills, ...
Curbs and I think guard rails.

- - - Updated - - -

Mobileye can't possibly know if their next hardware suite is good enough for autonomous driving.
Know is a tricky word. Some would say we never "know" anything. Digression aside...

I think Mobileye is in a pretty strong hardware, data, and market position to make statements about what hardware they believe they will need for the next few generations of their technology. Further, I suspect that the exec speaking at the conference call believes that they just need time and data to reach their desired autonomous functionality. Much like Tesla with batteries, they don't need a silver bullet or revolution or technology jump ... just evolution and continuity along their current path.

I still use an iPad 3 (first retina display, old connector), and it works great! Apparently, iPads have twice the lifecycle of Teslas.

I still use my "classic" MS and it works great, too. I suspect it will continue to do so for a very long time, and much longer than your iPad.

It's possible you're conflating a view of your car's obsolescence with your desire for new shiny things. Your Tesla isn't remotely obsolete so long as it can drive on the road with other vehicles. If your concern is that Tesla's moving the bar so quickly that autonomous driving will be the only way to get around, then every car is becoming obsolete. As I mentioned upthread, your Tesla is still a better car than almost every one other one you pass on the road. That will continue to be the case for a very long time.

You're welcome to want new things, and the latest version of a Tesla. But to say the lifecycle of a Tesla is short, or that your car is becoming obsolete, is completely erroneous.

the leading-edge car I bought eight months ago, which has had a transformational software upgrade and will soon have two substantial hardware upgrades (LTE and ludicrous) will be completely obsolete six months from now after the new sensor suite comes out.
Yes, and the same thing happened with your smartphone, TV set, tablet, etc.
I don't think has ever been true for a television I've purchased.

Thanks for the summary on this. I've added MBLY to my portfolio - it really seems like this company is at the forefront of Autonomous driving, and the growth of Tesla is going to have some major impacts on the profitability of Mobileye as a company.

"completely obsolete" == "in the top 99th percentile of all vehicles on the road"

I still use my "classic" MS and it works great, too. I suspect it will continue to do so for a very long time, and much longer than your iPad.

It's possible you're conflating a view of your car's obsolescence with your desire for new shiny things. Your Tesla isn't remotely obsolete so long as it can drive on the road with other vehicles. If your concern is that Tesla's moving the bar so quickly that autonomous driving will be the only way to get around, then every car is becoming obsolete. As I mentioned upthread, your Tesla is still a better car than almost every one other one you pass on the road. That will continue to be the case for a very long time.

You're welcome to want new things, and the latest version of a Tesla. But to say the lifecycle of a Tesla is short, or that your car is becoming obsolete, is completely erroneous.

I genuinely appreciate your trying to help me put things in perspective so I recognize that the MS is an enduringly great car, but my original comment was completely facetious, flip, frivolous, tongue-in-cheek, comical and lighthearted. Why do you think my handle is sillydriver? Of course it's an enduringly great car!

I should add my motivation was to praise, backhandedly through irony, the great pace of innovation that Tesla is bringing to market.

Last edited:
This is called "Ensemble Learning" and yes, it's a thing. You basically average out the predictions from one model with one or multiple other models, using custom weighting to vary the output. I would like some clarity on this, because if they're not building a model from their data, there's a lot less value added in the data they're consuming. It's very difficult to tweak models without having access to the data used in the model, since you use some of it for cross-validation testing. That said, if they're doing an ensemble method, they could be weighting their own model more and more as they phase out the Mobileye deep learning model.

Possibly Tesla could use their model as either a starting point, or a fall back. If your busy collecting data, and updating the models as you gather more data, you want to make sure you understand all aspects. If one of the elements is a black box, how do you validate? Also, some of the basic data that the MobileEye generates, could be used as input. If they are very capable to detect curbs, different formats of traffic signs, etc, that can provide a good start for Tesla's model. Would love to learn more abou it :)

When's the last time you purchased a TV?

The interface of smart TV's is changing all the time with additional processors, display type, 3D (though outdated now), 4k, etc.

Yes, that's what I was talking about. We looked at TVs at Best Buy this last weekend - holy cats, there are a lot of new features availale just since I bought my last one maybe 3 years ago...

Yes, I'm dying to learn more about it. I mentioned this in another thread, but I'm going to NIPS (2015 Conference) in December, and expect that at least one Tesla AP engineer should be there. Certainly a crew from Mobileye as well. I will be hunting for information and plan to report back what I can!

ohmman... You'd be my personal hero of you could get the Tesla or Mobileye folks to say if they were going to have production Model S with multiple EyeQ3s and the 8 cameras in the first half of 2016. :)

From the post that started this thread: "We will take the same infrastructure up to fully autonomous vehicle. Well, the hardware will not going to be changed. There is going to be only updates of software, once they introduce the full set of eight cameras around the vehicle."

Last edited: