Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just a Place Keeper to See if I Am Right About the Future of AP1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just experienced the autosteer speed limit today. Thank you Joshua Brown -not- and RIP. Actually it does make sense but I was overtaken by a car whos driver probably thought: Why is he going 3 kmph below the speed limit when everyone else is 3 kmph above ?. The speed measurement is not accurate but rather optimistic in any car you buy. My opinion is that Tesla should allow for at least a 5% deviation from the speed limit signs.

• Helpful
Reactions: SMSMD
... At the D launch, Tesla demo'd cars that were automatically adjusting their speed based on speed limit signs. That functionality does not yet exist ...
I have wondered about this. The street sign functionality depends on the Mobileye chip to recognise them I have to wonder whether that functionalty was not sufficiently reliable enough to recognise all signs all the time, and so never made it to the production code.

I'm on your side in this! I was just pointing out that no court or judge has yet ruled against Tesla on this issue.
Understood, no worries :)

I wish something like that could happen here, if for no other reason than to show Tesla that they can't keep doing this stuff. People are noticing and getting upset. I bought a P85 in 2013. What if in 2014 Tesla realized that the torque was too high for the suspension to handle? Is it okay for Tesla to send me a software update to reduce my acceleration because they didn't properly engineer the suspension to handle the car's G-forces? NO. Just like it's not okay for Toyota or any other car manufacturer to instruct its dealers to limit your car's performance the next time you bring it in because they, the manufacturer, didn't do their homework when they designed the car.

This isn't my fight, but I sympathize with those who feel cheated.

Elon said in a tweet that the limit was set but they would be adding functionality that if there is a lead car it'll exceed so you are not overtaken. Or at least that's how I interpreted it. If true then much of the speculation in this thread is incorrect as the current changes are temporary until they can implement more sophisticated algorithms.

Of course fully autonomous cars will not allow drivers to exceed the speed limits. The purpose of autonomy is to reduce traffic accidents and injuries, regulators absolutely will require all autonomous vehicles to strictly follow speed limits. Those who don't think so are burying their heads in the sand. However, when the majority of vehicles on the road are autonomous and have proven a high safety record, I believe there will be a willingness to increase the legal speed limits.

It's the time between 'now' and 'when the majority of vehicles on the road are autonomous' that is scary. There are many, many places where a car going the speed limit is a huge roadblock. High speed by itself rarely causes accidents, but a variation in speed between vehicles increases the odds significantly. I can hear the traffic reporters now - 'another Tesla is clogging up the interstate again today'.

A situation like this is where I have a problem with AP. It's digital. A human behind the wheel easily recognizes traffic flow and adjusts. An AP car going the speed limit isn't necessarily a better alternative (unless the driver is skill challenged to begin with, and then there's a separate issue). As an AP user - would you say screw it - I'm using the AP no matter what the consequences behind me, or would you disengage and drive the car yourself? I think there are both kinds of AP users...

I sure hope you're right about the legal speed limits increasing.

To keep my post on topic - I don't think the AP1 features will be 'updated until it's disabled' as suggested by the OP, but will instead plateau close to where it is today. I'm a CPO candidate (not new), and I also don't think AP1 in it's current state will be a big deterrant when purchasing (for folks like me). If possible, I will avoid any AP when purchasing - AP1, AP2 or AP37. I like to drive.

Reactions: Cyclone
I have wondered about this. The street sign functionality depends on the Mobileye chip to recognise them I have to wonder whether that functionalty was not sufficiently reliable enough to recognise all signs all the time, and so never made it to the production code.
I have -- with some frequency -- seen it read "65" as "105" and "55" as "5" as well as other less dramatic idiocies like "75" as "15". It's definitely not reliable enough for constant use.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18
--
At the D launch, Tesla demo'd cars that were automatically adjusting their speed based on speed limit signs. That functionality does not yet exist, as demonstrated. (It exists now as speed reduction when autosteer is engaged on undivided highways, but that is not at all what was demonstrated.)

OK, they may have modified the ability, but it can read signs and adjust the AP speed. Mine does. Some folk get so wrought up because they interpreted something said as "You Promised", and I just don't get it. Life's not that way. Tesla is able to say things and then change their minds. If people don't like it, please, please, buy a Hyundai and be satisfied and quit grouching about how Tesla does business.

Some of us are very happy with what Tesla has done, and continues to do, which is more than any other company.

Tesla promised the features, I paid for promised features. If those features are rolled back, I will not hesitate to sue them.

Oh, please sue. And report back here so we all know how it went. I hope you have your promises in writing, signed and dated and notarized, and I also hope you sell your disappointing Tesla to someone who will appreciate what it does.

Reactions: heems
Unless Tesla has removed the beta badge off AP I don't think legal action will stick.
You're all part of a paid experiment (YOU are paying) and you all know it or should know it. Tesla will change the variables as they feel fit/safe. The road to autonomous driving is a long and sometimes dangerous one. I understand that Tesla feels the need to limit AP capabilities to match the hardware and software limit as they see them.
If you don't like what I am saying, please tell me what you think beta means.
(Ducks and runs)

Unless Tesla has removed the beta badge off AP I don't think legal action will stick.
You're all part of a paid experiment (YOU are paying) and you all know it or should know it. Tesla will change the variables as they feel fit/safe. The road to autonomous driving is a long and sometimes dangerous one. I understand that Tesla feels the need to limit AP capabilities to match the hardware and software limit as they see them.
(Ducks and runs)
Calling something "beta" is not a free pass to ignore your promises. If it was, every single product you ever bought would be called "beta" forever.

Tesla can call it anything they want. But they can't take money for a specific feature set, and then not bother to deliver it.

(Ducks and runs)

Please point out where on Tesla's order site it states that Enhanced Autopilot is in beta...I do not see this mentioned "beta badge".

Order a Tesla Model S | Tesla