Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just been told my P90DL is not eligible for P100D Upgrade!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

After months of being told I was able to upgrade my P90DL to a P100D, I have just been told it's not possible!!

I ordered my car just before the P100D was announced, and didn't receive my car till after the announcement.

I waited a year for the upgrade and now am told can't do it due to the battery or something along those lines.

To say I am disappointed is putting it mildly. Can anyone help?

Unfortunately Tesla is completely against battery upgrades. Only one person, several years ago, was able to upgrade. Since then they have continuously denied every request to upgrade a battery. They don't want to sell batteries but they want you to buy a new car.

The battery is designed to be swapped and the connector is compatible among all cars, both Model S and X. Technically it is no problem at all to put a 100 battery on any older car. The weight is different so the suspension would have to be adjusted. That's a trivial task as well, though.

It really is just a policy of Tesla. They want to sell new cars, not let people upgrade.

I waited a year for the upgrade and now am told can't do it due to the battery or something along those lines.
To say I am disappointed is putting it mildly. Can anyone help?

I guess the rumors are true. Tesla is about to start using the 2170 batteries. I guess that would make the new battery packs somewhat incompatible with the older cars... ;-) Why else would they not want you to upgrade.

• Disagree
Reactions: croman
This is what Tesla wrote originally:

Tesla announced that:

"Tesla customers who have ordered a P90D Ludicrous, but not taken delivery, can upgrade to the 100 kWh pack for $10,000. Existing P90D Ludicrous owners can also upgrade to a 100 kWh pack, but for $20,000, as their used 90 kWh pack will have to be recycled."

Now they are going back on their promise. Argh!:mad:

I wouldn’t take it as gospel just yet. Definitely not the first time an employee provided misinformation.

A SC employee told me every dual motor 75 would be uncorked—we see how that turned out.

he can try the legal route only if he has that promise in writing, basing a case on the word of a salesperson will never fly in a court.
Salesperson? What about blog post

New Tesla Model S Now the Quickest Production Car in the World

Tesla customers who have ordered a P90D Ludicrous, but not taken delivery, can upgrade to the 100 kWh pack for $10,000. Existing P90D Ludicrous owners can also upgrade to a 100 kWh pack, but for $20,000, as their used 90 kWh pack will have to be recycled.

great idea, where will you be getting your battery packs from?
The Tesla aftermarket will come if Tesla sells enough to make it useful and the vehicles are around long enough. I would expect lots of products just like we have in the ICE world. Especially if Tesla fails to listen to their customers.

When the current crop of vehicles have batteries expiring and the cars are out of warranty; I am sure there will be an aftermarket for batteries, just like in the laptop market. You can get a third party battery for almost any model to include Apple.