Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just been told my P90DL is not eligible for P100D Upgrade!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla did want you to take delivery immediately, reserve the $10,000 update (which @badboy1980 says they did) and get the upgrade later once Tesla can deliver. That was how it was offered at the time.
That's not what the offer stated. The offer clearly stated:

Tesla customers who have ordered a P90D Ludicrous, but not taken delivery, can upgrade to the 100 kWh pack for $10,000. Existing P90D Ludicrous owners can also upgrade to a 100 kWh pack, but for $20,000, as their used 90 kWh pack will have to be recycled.

As I said, unless he has it in writing that states he can pay $10,000 after accepting delivery of the P90D, he doesn't have a case.

Can YOU show where Tesla stated that? Is there a link? Let's see it before you conclude that I am wrong. I'd gladly admit I'm wrong if it says that in writing. Besides, it's not what I say. It's what Tesla says. And, based on what I see, the OP does not have a case...Period!

That's not what the offer stated. The offer clearly stated:

Tesla customers who have ordered a P90D Ludicrous, but not taken delivery, can upgrade to the 100 kWh pack for $10,000. Existing P90D Ludicrous owners can also upgrade to a 100 kWh pack, but for $20,000, as their used 90 kWh pack will have to be recycled.

As I said, unless he has it in writing that states he can pay $10,000 after accepting delivery of the P90D, he doesn't have a case.

Can YOU show where Tesla stated that? Is there a link? Let's see it before you conclude that I am wrong. I'd gladly admit I'm wrong if it says that in writing. Besides, it's not what I say. It's what Tesla says. And, based on what I see, the OP does not have a case...Period!

You are simply wrong here. Nobody was getting the upgrade before delivery, they were all delayed to 2017+. I think this is a case where you really should just take my word for it. This is as clear as day, 100% solid actual fact. If you don't know the history and weren't involved, then maybe you missed it.

Tesla did not want people delaying taking the delivery - the whole reason of this policy was to get people to take delivery then and there, instead of cancelling. Delaying the delivery of 90 kWh cars would not have been in Tesla's interest.

And yes, their original announcement was misleading as it made it sound like the battery swap would be done pre-delivery (so that the 90 kWh could be recycled), but Tesla was unable to deliver and changed course at the time. They communicated the updated timeline to customers who wanted the upgrade at the time and people committed to taking deliveries with this promise attached.

One had to commit to the upgrade pre-delivery to get the $10,000 price, but Tesla said they would be able to deliver the upgrade only in 2017 (originally starting in early 2017, then delayed, then silence).

Reactions: Rocky_H
You are simply wrong here. Nobody was getting the upgrade before delivery, they were all delayed to 2017+. I think this is a case where you really should just take my word for it. This is as clear as day, 100% solid actual fact. If you don't know the history and weren't involved, then maybe you missed it.
That may be true. All I'm saying is the OP would have to PROVE this. What part of that don't you understand? You say to take your word for it? Try saying that to the judge or jury! They would want to see it in writing.

Tesla clearly has stated in writing that the $10K offer was only good before accepting delivery. If the original poster can show in writing that Tesla agreed to upgrade his battery at a later date for $10,000, then that'll work. Otherwise, he has no case.

Besides, who would make a gentlemen agreement of $10,000? You have to have that in writing.

That may be true. All I'm saying is the OP would have to PROVE this. What part of that don't you understand? You say to take your word for it? Try saying that to the judge or jury! They would want to see it in writing.

I thought you were asking me to prove it to you? I agree OP certainly may have a burden of proof towards Tesla or a local legislature, but certainly not towards us here.

Tesla clearly has stated in writing that the $10K offer was only good before accepting delivery. If the original poster can show in writing that Tesla agreed to upgrade his battery at a later date for $10,000, then that'll work. Otherwise, he has no case.

Yes, obviously the $10,000 offer was only good before accepting delivery. Many people took Tesla up on that offer, it seems to me OP included (he said he had agreed to it), and Tesla told them basically "good, parts will be reserved by factory and we'll contact in early next year to schedule the upgrade".

Nobody - nobody - that we know here on TMC, got that upgrade before accepting delivery. Tesla just wasn't ready. Nobody got it in early 2017 AFAIK either... There are a few cases where someone may have gotten the upgrade recently.

Besides, who would make a gentlemen agreement of $10,000? You have to have that in writing.

I hope OP does have it in writing. Many people certainly do.

I hope OP does have it in writing. Many people certainly do.
I'm thinking he doesn't. Otherwise, he wouldn't have started this thread. Anyone who has this in writing should have no concern, unless the agreement does'nt have terms.

I would've only accepted delivery of the P90D if the terms of the upgrade were acceptable and in writing, including end date for which Tesla must comply and consequence if they don't. This would be the buyer's only leverage. Never accept an agreement with just a handshake and a smile. At least not one worth $10,000+

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
I'm thinking he doesn't. Otherwise, he wouldn't have started this thread. Anyone who has this in writing should have no concern, unless the agreement does'nt have terms.

I'm not so sure, because this has happened before...

I would've only accepted delivery of the P90D if the terms of the upgrade were acceptable and in writing, including end date for which Tesla must comply and consequence if they don't. This would be the buyer's only leverage. Never accept an agreement with just a handshake and a smile. At least not one worth $10,000+

Sure, in hindsight not trusting Tesla's word on this would have been wiser - based on the delay alone. I think people will be a bit wiser in the future.

I have emails from Tesla confirming my agreement to paying for the upgrade and them stating that they will advise when the upgrade is available.

that's good. I was assuming, what you clarified, that you did accept the 10k offer prior to taking delivery of the car (that is @babyJockos point I think). but they couldnt/didn't give you a 100 battery prior to delivery, so they would have agreed to do it later. again seems pretty clear to me. let us know how they respond in writing. maybe @JonMc can clarify.

Hi guys,

After months of being told I was able to upgrade my P90DL to a P100D, I have just been told it's not possible!!

I ordered my car just before the P100D was announced, and didn't receive my car till after the announcement.

I waited a year for the upgrade and now am told can't do it due to the battery or something along those lines.

To say I am disappointed is putting it mildly. Can anyone help?
@badboy1980 , the upgrade was performed on my P90DL, I also know of one other MX owner who had his upgraded after delivery but in “late 2016” December! There is a verification process, I’m not certain what that is or who does it, but I was also told early on that I was not eligible as well. Took some time to clear it up. So make sure you are communicating with the right people at Tesla. There is going to be a bit of a backlog of 100KW batteries since Tesla would probably prefer to put it in a new car for a new buyer. Patience and an open line of communication through the right channels is key. Good luck!

IMO, the whole “lawyer up” attitude seems too sensational or emotional. Granted, it is difficult to gain a clear answer quickly from Tesla, this can be frustrating if you speaking to the wrong person. From my own experience, a little patience and speaking to the right people make all the difference.

Last edited:
@badboy1980 , the upgrade was performed on my P90DL, I also know of one other MX owner who had his upgraded after delivery but in “late 2016” December! There is a verification process, I’m not certain what that is or who does it, but I was also told early on that I was not eligible as well. Took some time to clear it up. So make sure you are communicating with the right people at Tesla. There is going to be a bit of a backlog of 100KW batteries since Tesla would probably prefer to put it in a new car for a new buyer. Patience and an open line of communication through the right channels is key. Good luck!

IMO, the whole “lawyer up” attitude seems too sensational or emotional. Granted, it is difficult to gain a clear answer quickly from Tesla, this can be frustrating if you speaking to the wrong person. From my own experience, a little patience and speaking to the right people make all the difference.

Hi, I have just been advised by Tesla that it appears to be an error on their behalf and I will be getting the upgraded battery and seats. I am just waiting for a written confirmation in addition to the verbal one I have just had. So hopefully, happy days!

:):):)

He started the thread to ask for the forum's advice on how to deal with Tesla. Engaging lawyers should be a last resort as it only enriches lawyers. It's possible that raising the issue here helped Tesla figure out the "error on their behalf" and the OP is now on a path to getting what he is due. Go TMC!

Reactions: AmpedRealtor
Thanks all for helping. I have got it in writing now. Tesla have stated the upgrade may take 2-3 months from now. I'm not particularly fussed when as long as I know it is happening!
Good for you! I wish I had that opportunity. My P90D was delivered less than 2 weeks before Tesla announced the P100D. I wrote to Tesla asking them to include me in the $10,000 deal. Of course, I never even got a reply.

This is the absolute WORST thing about Tesla -- they don't have regular model years like other car companies. They make changes at any time without even a clue as to what's in the pipeline. All other car makers generally make changes only in the new model year. And, most often, consumers are clued in to what new features will be available weeks or months ahead of time. But, not Tesla. The first we ever hear of something new is when it already is in production. This really p'ed me off bigtime. I missed out on the P100D and ventilated seats (shortlived) all within just a few weeks.

• Disagree
Reactions: bhzmark
Good for you! I wish I had that opportunity. My P90D was delivered less than 2 weeks before Tesla announced the P100D. I wrote to Tesla asking them to include me in the $10,000 deal. Of course, I never even got a reply.
tesla has historically been very strict with their deadlines, I know you feel screwed but that's just how things sometimes work in elon's world

This is a good thing about Tesla -- they don't have regular model years like other car companies. They make changes at any time without any concern to delay current buyers the benefit of new technology that they can roll out now. All other car makers generally delay changes and only roll them out in the new model year. And, most often, consumers are forced to wait for those changes for months . But, not Tesla. The first we ever hear of something new is when it already is in production. I love this bigtime. I got the latest and great tech available at the time when I bought my car.

This is a good thing about Tesla -- they don't have regular model years like other car companies. They make changes at any time without any concern to delay current buyers the benefit of new technology that they can roll out now. All other car makers generally delay changes and only roll them out in the new model year. And, most often, consumers are forced to wait for those changes for months . But, not Tesla. The first we ever hear of something new is when it already is in production. I love this bigtime. I got the latest and great tech available at the time when I bought my car.

But it also takes away two things:

1) The ability to plan purchase timing for maximum effect (so the car may well be outdated even before it is delivered, indeed this whole thread is about a case like that P90DL vs. P100D deliveries)
2) Sometimes the changes are to the worse (even very momentarily, say a negative change that only lasts a month or few), so it is not a progression of always better

Thanks all for helping. I have got it in writing now. Tesla have stated the upgrade may take 2-3 months from now. I'm not particularly fussed when as long as I know it is happening!

Also looking forward to the softer premium seats.

How were you finally able to get through to them? I'm trying to get them to add Ludicrous back onto my P100D and I'm not getting anywhere with them!