Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got 20" performance wheels installed on my Model 3!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@deezevoltz,

I think that’s about what @Kenriko was getting as well but he’ll have to chime in here. He can give you some good gouge or check out his thread.

Ski

I get 275wh/mi flooring it from every light. I'm not kidding, the pedal goes to the floor every light (that I don't have cars in front of me) and does not come up until I hit the speed limit. :-D A better set of tires (Michelin 4s or Nitto NT555) makes the car much more fun to drive.

Reactions: commasign
I agree with this however, I don't think a lot of the really "nice" tires come in 18in.

How do you figure? That's the size I've been running Michelins top performance tire in for 10 years now (PS2s originally, then PSS- and now the PS4s comes in 18 as well)- hell they come in 17s for that matter.

Here's the PS4s in Tesla 18" size-
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?message=singleSize&tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+4S&cameFrom=selectOE&width=235/&ratio=45&diameter=18&autoMake=Tesla&autoYear=2018&autoModel=Model+3&autoModClar=&minLoadRating=XL&minSpeedRating=V&partnum=345YR8PS4SXL&cameFrom=selectOE

Not everybody hates the look of the aeros either -- I'm probably alone, but aesthetically I like the aeros with cover the best, then the aeros without, then the 19/20s the least. (We have an LR with 18 aeros, and I'm waiting for the ability to order a P.)

When I get the P, I'm considering getting it with 20s, and then swapping someone for 18s plus a little cash, and mounting the PS4s on the 18.

(Southern CA; no need for two sets.)

Reactions: Zoomit
Not everybody hates the look of the aeros either -- I'm probably alone, but aesthetically I like the aeros with cover the best, then the aeros without, then the 19/20s the least. (We have an LR with 18 aeros, and I'm waiting for the ability to order a P.)

When I get the P, I'm considering getting it with 20s, and then swapping someone for 18s plus a little cash, and mounting the PS4s on the 18.

(Southern CA; no need for two sets.)
Aeros on the P could be a cool look with lower suspension and wheel spacers to give a more aggressive and sporty stance. The stock ride height and wheel offsets don’t look aggressive enough for a P model though IMO.

Jx2qeGm.jpg

20" on the car avatar from the iOS app. I'm not sure where to find a 19" avatar for a side-by-side.

This may be the wrong group to post in so I'm sorry if so. I called and inquired about just buying the wheels (no tires or install, etc.) for the 20 and 19 inch variants. The 20s were A LOT more expensive. One thing they shared is that there are two different types of wheels offered in 19s. There are the stiletto wheels and the sport wheels both offered in 19 inch. I thought those were one in the same. Does anyone know the difference? There's about a $200 difference for the set.

20 inch wheels are too big, and don't look good to me. How much rougher is the ride?
Hi, this is my first post.

I have a Model 3 Performance with 20x8.5 wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S tires, 235/35/20 at all four corners. I also have disc problems in my neck. I commute on the Los Angeles freeway system about seventy-five minutes each way. I can't quantify the ride as compared to any other tire/wheel combination - this is the factory configuration - but in my opinion the ride is absolutely fine. I'd been using larger, heavier cars for my commute and I wasn't one hundred percent convinced the T3P with 35 aspect ratio tires would be refined enough to work as a daily driver for me, but to my surprise the ride is smooth and comfortable. Just my thoughts, for whatever they're worth.

I'm very excited that I just got my 20" performance wheels installed at the Tesla Service Center yesterday. The driving is much heavier than the 18" aeros, and now I can confidently whiz around corners at 50-60 mph. :)

Just got my 20" wheels installed!

I tried to share this on Reddit, but I'm not allowed to comment or post. I understand reddit mods need to filter out the shorters and trolls, but it's really lazy of them to muzzle users like myself who just wanted a new username. My old username was random letters and numbers, so even my dumb username "deezevoltz" is an upgrade.
Looks great! Baby got new shoes!

Really contemplating on swapping my 19's out for the 20's. You've had these for a while now. How has your efficiency and wheels held up?

I think my final efficiency with LR RWD with very spirited driving was between 270 and 290 Wh/mi. Sorry I did not keep good track, but I’d guess probably 290 is more likely. I swapped the wheels back to Aeros in early September. Aeros got about 230 Whi/mi. Sold the RWD. Then I used the 20s from RWD as my winter rims with my P3D. I’m getting about 330 Whi/mi with P3D with extremely spirited driving all the time during the winter. My driving style is always floor it and drive 65ish on highway.

It was very strange going back to Aeros. I didn’t notice anything in terms of ride quality. My tush I guess is less sensitive than everyone else’s. I did very much notice a difference in traction. I felt a lot less safe with my erratic driving in rain and noticed tons of slipping around. But that efficiency was sweet.

Having had 20s for a long time now, I greatly prefer the look to 19s and can immediately identify 19s vs 20s in the wild. The looks are worth it to me. Plus I like having the best handling and traction in every condition for safety. So the difference in rubber is part of the story, not just wheel size. I think I could be happy too with ultra-light after market rims. Those would improve your 0-60 slightly. But the costs involved aren’t worth the 0.1-0.2 second improvements to me.

I was able to find a set of 20s with tires and TPMS for $1900 on Craigslist for my dad’s winter rims on his P3D. I hope you can get as lucky. The set was from a guy who got the ultra-light rims and didn’t know about or think about benefits of keeping an extra set of wheels for the winter. I wasn’t going to preach to him when I was trying to buy his wheels. I shipped the wheels half way across the country to my dad for about $260 including shipping materials (200 ship with business discount + 60 in foam and plastic wrap). Now we both have two sets of 20s for our matching cars.

You would be fine sticking with 19s and just upgrading your rubber. After that you could work on getting another set of 19s or 20s with proper rubber as well. For example, if you’re in a winter state, just order some winter tires from tire rack or wherever today. If not, get summers and tell yourself that the efficiency hit is for safety. Then check Ebay or jump on the Tesla fulfillment queue after paying the big bucks for 20s from Tesla. The slight suspension tweak with the 20s from Tesla was not noticeable to me for what it’s worth. Unplugged Performance and Mountain Pass Performance have different suspension products if you go aftermarket and want suspension changes, but then you’ve gotta spend big bucks and take a hit on your resale due to hardcore mods.
12D5A61F-8018-4FED-8C26-94AA296B5FFA.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: kjyam98
Would the Michelin Pilot 4S be more efficient and less noisy than the tires that come with the 18" aeros?

I have an M3 Performance with the 20 inchers, and an M3 Dual motor with 18’s. I think the 18’s with aero covers are more efficient, but who is to say if the hreater electrical efficiency is caused by the uncorked (read: “software allowance”) energy being applied to the motors in the Performance version? That said, I think the 20’s are ever slightly less noisy than the 18’s. I do feel a difference in the suspensions, and prefer the Performance suspension, although the 18’s suspension isn’t bad, especially when compared to my 16-year old Ford Escape with after-market Old Man Emu (Australian outback) springs and struts, lol!

I think my final efficiency with LR RWD with very spirited driving was between 270 and 290 Wh/mi. Sorry I did not keep good track, but I’d guess probably 290 is more likely. I swapped the wheels back to Aeros in early September. Aeros got about 230 Whi/mi. Sold the RWD. Then I used the 20s from RWD as my winter rims with my P3D. I’m getting about 330 Whi/mi with P3D with extremely spirited driving all the time during the winter. My driving style is always floor it and drive 65ish on highway.

It was very strange going back to Aeros. I didn’t notice anything in terms of ride quality. My tush I guess is less sensitive than everyone else’s. I did very much notice a difference in traction. I felt a lot less safe with my erratic driving in rain and noticed tons of slipping around. But that efficiency was sweet.

Having had 20s for a long time now, I greatly prefer the look to 19s and can immediately identify 19s vs 20s in the wild. The looks are worth it to me. Plus I like having the best handling and traction in every condition for safety. So the difference in rubber is part of the story, not just wheel size. I think I could be happy too with ultra-light after market rims. Those would improve your 0-60 slightly. But the costs involved aren’t worth the 0.1-0.2 second improvements to me.

I was able to find a set of 20s with tires and TPMS for $1900 on Craigslist for my dad’s winter rims on his P3D. I hope you can get as lucky. The set was from a guy who got the ultra-light rims and didn’t know about or think about benefits of keeping an extra set of wheels for the winter. I wasn’t going to preach to him when I was trying to buy his wheels. I shipped the wheels half way across the country to my dad for about $260 including shipping materials (200 ship with business discount + 60 in foam and plastic wrap). Now we both have two sets of 20s for our matching cars.

You would be fine sticking with 19s and just upgrading your rubber. After that you could work on getting another set of 19s or 20s with proper rubber as well. For example, if you’re in a winter state, just order some winter tires from tire rack or wherever today. If not, get summers and tell yourself that the efficiency hit is for safety. Then check Ebay or jump on the Tesla fulfillment queue after paying the big bucks for 20s from Tesla. The slight suspension tweak with the 20s from Tesla was not noticeable to me for what it’s worth. Unplugged Performance and Mountain Pass Performance have different suspension products if you go aftermarket and want suspension changes, but then you’ve gotta spend big bucks and take a hit on your resale due to hardcore mods.
View attachment 361436

I think the gap difference above your tires have been reduced with the bigger wheel and upgraded suspension.

I currently have the 19'' OEM wheels and all season tires looking to upgrade suspension to TSPort/Mild UP but after reading your comments and looking at the pic of your P3D, I think it would be best to upgrade my wheels to OEM 20'' and have Tesla upgrade my suspension so less worry about issues and warranty.

Also, since I live in SoCal, I think summer tires would be way better than my current all season.

After that, I think I can get some money back by selling my 18'' wheel tires and/or 19'' wheel tires.

Reactions: Jaywlker
I'm very excited that I just got my 20" performance wheels installed at the Tesla Service Center yesterday. The driving is much heavier than the 18" aeros, and now I can confidently whiz around corners at 50-60 mph. :)

Just got my 20" wheels installed!

I tried to share this on Reddit, but I'm not allowed to comment or post. I understand reddit mods need to filter out the shorters and trolls, but it's really lazy of them to muzzle users like myself who just wanted a new username. My old username was random letters and numbers, so even my dumb username "deezevoltz" is an upgrade.
lol i don't even go around corners at 50-60. wheel size < wheel width.