Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got 2019.24.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been lucky enough not to have needed to contact them in the past. Do you mean via the app or calling? The app asks me to make an appointment which is weeks away...
I actually did both, I have 2 cars and an update failed on both within the past month or so.

For the first one, I made an appointment though the app and clicked the Software Update option for what was wrong. I got a text the next day from Mobile Service saying that they resent the update, and that they cancelled the appointment.

For the one that happened with 2019.24.4, it was a little odd. I called my Service Center, went through the options for questions about vehicle functions, and then got to speak to an agent. He said he would resend the update, and said I would get it within 24 hours. I waited and it didn't come. So I called back and they escalated it. She confirmed that they attempted to resend it but it never came. They asked if I was on WiFi currently and sent it while I was on the phone with them. I got the update notification and installed it successfully.

The odd thing is that when they resent the update the second time, the car never actually downloaded anything. I checked my network traffic and nothing downloaded, but I still got the update prompt. The Software tab in settings also showed that there wasn't an update available and that my car was up to date. It didn't show the update downloading either, it just magically appeared as if the car had the update files the whole time... o_O

Last edited:
Yes, the car stores the completed update file and all Tesla does is send the command to make the car perform the update.

Which begs the question, what is the failsafe if the stored update file is corrupt? :confused:
Interesting, I always assumed updates failed because of corrupt files. I wonder why Tesla doesn't allow you to manually re-install failed updates if it indeed stored on the vehicle. Maybe it could verify the signatures of the downloaded files and either re-download the update automatically or re-prompt the user to schedule another installation.

Last edited:
This software update failed on my 3. Now the car says Software Update Required - Contact Tesla Service, Service Required - Car may not restart, and 12v Power Reduced - Car may stop unexpectedly error messages. I cannot shift the car out of Park. This update has bricked my car. I am on the phone with Tesla Roadside Assistance now and they are saying the car needs to be brought into the Service Center to have the update manually pushed. I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry, I realize we are all early adopters of new technology but there is seriously no failsafe, no backup firmware, to fall back to if an update fails?

I no longer keep a backup ICE car, my 3 is my only car at this point. So I'm trying to figure out how I'm supposed to get to work tomorrow.

It's not uncommon for software updates failing, but, as many others pointed out, Tesla just pushes out the update again to download (and usually doesn't affect your ability to drive the car while waiting for the new update). Yours sounds like it may be a hardware issue more than a software problem. I had a similar issue last year and Tesla had to replace a module - the software update was just the catalyst that uncovered the failure.

Hope it is just a software issue, but if it is hardware, Tesla designed the car to make replacing parts quick and painless (for the SC). My car was out of service only a few days while they replaced the part.

Reactions: Sparky4life
This software update failed on my 3. Now the car says Software Update Required - Contact Tesla Service, Service Required - Car may not restart, and 12v Power Reduced - Car may stop unexpectedly error messages. I cannot shift the car out of Park. This update has bricked my car. I am on the phone with Tesla Roadside Assistance now and they are saying the car needs to be brought into the Service Center to have the update manually pushed. I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry, I realize we are all early adopters of new technology but there is seriously no failsafe, no backup firmware, to fall back to if an update fails?

I no longer keep a backup ICE car, my 3 is my only car at this point. So I'm trying to figure out how I'm supposed to get to work tomorrow.
This has happened to me if the car is at home don’t worry, just call Tesla and speak with tech support they will push another update to your with 1 hour or so. That’s what they did, however they had to push mine again as it would drive but autopilot and phone key were disable after the second push it was fine and literally that night it updated again to the latest firmware

2D11141D-9151-4C97-AA97-A354780D00AA.jpeg
Well here is something else that’s new, it now tells you when you’re usb stick is full as opposed to just the grey X on the camera icon.

Well here is something else that’s new, it now tells you when you’re usb stick is full as opposed to just the grey X on the camera icon.
Well, it's progress, but I have to wonder why they didn't also add an option to delete the SavedClips folder at that point (or, if they want to be more fancy, only older clips from before a certain date). Should be trivial to implement.

View attachment 434044 Well here is something else that’s new, it now tells you when you’re usb stick is full as opposed to just the grey X on the camera icon.
Would be nice if they added a message to tell you that your usb is almost full. Would hate to get your usb is full right when I park somewhere and then the car gets broken into.

I haven’t received anything since then. I put in a service request asking for the beach buggy update for the kid... nothing yet. I have a WiFi repeater within 10ft and line of sight to the car since day 1. It’s pretty annoying but then I think I could’ve bought a Porsche Cayman that would never receive updates to do different things.

I was told that there is an update ready for my car and I just need to be on WiFi and it will download. It's super annoying not knowing when it will download.

It's HW3 and I'm still on 2019.15.10.104.1

Am I behind on the updates?

Thanks

I was told that there is an update ready for my car and I just need to be on WiFi and it will download. It's super annoying not knowing when it will download.

It's HW3 and I'm still on 2019.15.10.104.1

Am I behind on the updates?

Thanks
It will start to download as soon as you connect to WiFi. You can see the progress on the bar. Depending on strength/signal/bandwidth it will take about 15 to 30 minutes to download.

IMG_0945.jpeg