Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got a call out of the blue from Tesla to try a Model S for a day.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a March 31st 2016 in line Model 3 reservation holder in Florida. I just got a call from the new showroom in Naples Florida offering to allow me to use a Model S for a day. That's it, they didn't mention anything about the model 3, just that they wanted to give me a chance to try the model S. Of course I jumped on it and said "sign me up". They just verified my name and contact info and said show up with ID and Insurance card. Boom.!!!

Makes sense, especially to target people taking Model 3 deliveries later. Each month that passes is an opportunity for another maker to convince people not to buy a Tesla product. Even though that might be an uphill battle given the following Tesla has, it's still a risk. If they can convert potential, distant future purchasers into immediate buyers, why not try? I have a pretty early delivery window (Dec-Feb), so if they were trying to convince me I'd be a bit worried that they're not confident in their delivery times . . .

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
I'm a March 31st 2016 in line Model 3 reservation holder in Florida. I just got a call from the new showroom in Naples Florida offering to allow me to use a Model S for a day. That's it, they didn't mention anything about the model 3, just that they wanted to give me a chance to try the model S. Of course I jumped on it and said "sign me up". They just verified my name and contact info and said show up with ID and Insurance card. Boom.!!!

Get your financial accounts in order, because you WILL want to buy one after test driving it for a day :) Same thing happened to me! Couldn't get the car out of my mind and everything else felt like a dinosaur after that darn test drive...

Seems like a smart move by Tesla. Best case, up-sell to a Model S. Worst case, keep the customer focused and waiting on the Model 3 without potentially being enticed by another option (limited as they may be) in the interim. Win-win all around.

Worst case, keep the customer focused and waiting on the Model 3 without potentially being enticed by another option (limited as they may be) in the interim
"Limited"? When it comes to long-range EVs with a nationwide high speed DC charging network, there are no other options. :cool:

But I take your point. The Bolt is a long range EV that will work for many people. Other than that, there really aren't any options...

Hmmm. I got the same phone call.

They wanted to congratulate me on my Model 3 reservation, and they would like to celebrate by giving me a test drive in a Model S or Model X to experience the Autopilot feature.

Their evil scheme may be to entice me to embrace instant gratification and pick up a new (or maybe a CPO) Tesla now, rather than wait approximately a year before my Model 3 reservation supposedly comes due. It isn't such a bad idea.

There are nearly half a million of us (!) Model 3 reservation holders counting the days when we expect to get a message to Configure Your Model 3, even though that we will have to wait perhaps a year. We know (and Tesla knows) that there are a number of us who won't wait that long. So rather than play "catch and release" with, say, a quarter million reservation holders, Tesla is willing to play "a bird in the hand" with those rezzie holders, offering to sell them a Model S/X now, and qualify for that $7,500 Federal Tax Rebate now before it goes away.

Many of us reservation holders will hang on 'til the very end. Many will drop out. And at least Tesla is reminding us of a third option --- ending the game early and walking, er, driving away with something instead of nothing.

-- Ardie
"Maybe I'll just go down there for a look. What harm could it do?"

Just curious for the people getting the phone calls. Have you gone to your myTesla page and put yourself down for first run, 35k base, or the later for the AWD? I could see them going after the first run and AWD waiters since both of those groups are essentially signalling to Tesla they are willing to pay more money for upgrades (not that you couldn't put PUP in the base model 3). I think it would be easier to get those who are going to put more coin down to put just a bit more down to get a model S, similar to when they had the 60 and 60D for a bit get some people to upgrade.

Makes sense, especially to target people taking Model 3 deliveries later. Each month that passes is an opportunity for another maker to convince people not to buy a Tesla product. Even though that might be an uphill battle given the following Tesla has, it's still a risk. If they can convert potential, distant future purchasers into immediate buyers, why not try? I have a pretty early delivery window (Dec-Feb), so if they were trying to convince me I'd be a bit worried that they're not confident in their delivery times . . .

Honestly, I don't see it that way at all. I think it's purely to try and cherry pick off as many M3 lineholders as they can and upsell to those people solely to get the M3 numbers down. I don't think they're worried about people going to other luxury brands at all.

If they bothered to put down a deposit, especially on the first day, Tesla knows these people are knowledgeable enough about EVs to be totally in. They're not in any hurry to get a car, so they'll be patient. That's not the type of person to wander off to, say, Mercedes. They want a Tesla.

The question is how they choose these people for the test drives. If they've somehow found out their income level, then maybe they're targeting ones they know can afford to jump up to a S/X and then the whole test drive thing actually has a chance to convert into a sale.

The question is how they choose these people for the test drives. If they've somehow found out their income level, then maybe they're targeting ones they know can afford to jump up to a S/X and then the whole test drive thing actually has a chance to convert into a sale.
More than likely they have a list of local reservation holders and the sales reps just go down the list when they have time. I'm not sure if they would have the time (or if its legal) to do the research as you stated.

I just got a call from the new showroom in Naples Florida offering to allow me to use a Model S for a day. Tthey just that they wanted to give me a chance to try the model S. Of course I jumped on it and said "sign me up".
How dare they do that? Oh my goodness. You don't have to put up with someone trying to put you in the safest, most fun car in the world. Show them that you don't need that. Drive it for 2 days, before you buy it.