Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got Model S as a loaner while my MY is in service for factory defects. MY is a better car!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still prefer an instrument cluster display. Or, if Tesla would add a HUD to the 3/Y that would be ideal too.

Do you own a 3 or a Y? I felt exactly the same way until I drove a Y as a daily for a few weeks. Now going back to S I feel like the info on the cluster display would have been better positioned on the center display. Wheel/hands gets in the way.

Do you own a 3 or a Y? I felt exactly the same way until I drove a Y as a daily for a few weeks. Now going back to S I feel like the info on the cluster display would have been better positioned on the center display. Wheel/hands gets in the way.
Don't have my MY yet (refusing to take delivery until I feel more confident I will get my white MY with matching color doors).

I've driven a 3. Actually, I've also driven an early Prius that had the center cluster. I've been driving for almost 40 years so I'm used to having my gauges in front of me so that's where my eyes naturally want to fall to check my speed or tach(most frequently needed "check" plus I've had a manual car my entire driving life).

I bought a new SUV in March that has a HUD, and I immediately loved it! The HUD took no time getting use to and it's so natural to see all the provided information right in front without ever taking eyes off road. My HUD displays the posted speed limit, blind spot warning, speed of course, and navigation turn by turn. Even before taking delivery of my MY I am more than convinced it could benefit from HUD. Heck, all cars can benefit from a Heads Up Display!

But, I know it will be a short learning curve to get used to the center display MY too. Again, just having information in front of my eyes is something I'm used to, but the lack of having an IC in front of the wheel did not deter me from ordering the MY.

Don't have my MY yet (refusing to take delivery until I feel more confident I will get my white MY with matching color doors).

I've driven a 3. Actually, I've also driven an early Prius that had the center cluster. I've been driving for almost 40 years so I'm used to having my gauges in front of me so that's where my eyes naturally want to fall to check my speed or tach(most frequently needed "check" plus I've had a manual car my entire driving life).

I bought a new SUV in March that has a HUD, and I immediately loved it! The HUD took no time getting use to and it's so natural to see all the provided information right in front without ever taking eyes off road. My HUD displays the posted speed limit, blind spot warning, speed of course, and navigation turn by turn. Even before taking delivery of my MY I am more than convinced it could benefit from HUD. Heck, all cars can benefit from a Heads Up Display!

But, I know it will be a short learning curve to get used to the center display MY too. Again, just having information in front of my eyes is something I'm used to, but the lack of having an IC in front of the wheel did not deter me from ordering the MY.

believe me, I know exactly what you mean. Ive been driving a bit over 20 years (not anywhere close to your 40), but i felt exactly the same way, and driving the Y for a few days was a bit weird. But driving only Y for a few weeks and nothing else, you are right, you will totally get used to it and it will feel like its always been that way.

The only thing that is a tiny bit weird still is when I drive at night, and its pitch black in front of my hands (there is no glow from a speedometer etc).

From all the models Tesla offers, IMO M3/MY is the complete package.
What's so luxurious about MS? In my case 2016 MS AP2 which btw was touted as the car with full self driving and NOT the watered down FSD. Headlights that needed 4 replacements due to dimming, center screen that yellowed, front control arms that broke within 50k miles, no loaner even though CEO claims everyone gets top of the line loaner (I would love to see what happens when Roadster 2.0 owner comes in for service), I personally never experienced it but months to get parts if in body shop, chargegate/battery gate (max I get is 90 kWh), software that worked (v8) when bought the car but not anymore.
These cars will never become robotaxis just like AP1 never saw "meet me at the curb" or AP2 will never see the real true advertised FSD. I do not think current hardware is even sufficient for FSD but that's a whole new discussion. NOA does not even have basic situational awareness. I am not familiar with most recent MS interior updates but 2016 AP2 MS feels as cheap as M3/MY except M3/MY is more practical with door pockets, behind seat pockets, charges way faster.
Like I said, no Tesla is a complete package and Tesla isn’t a luxury brand.

I didn’t say anything about the MS is so luxurious. It’s a statement of relativity. The MS is inherently closer to being a complete car than the more spartan/cheap 3/Y. They’ve done a good job of getting the herd to view much of the cost-cutting as appealing. It’s telling we’re comparing used, older MS to a new Y. Yes, the latest design by a nascent car company will have some advantages over the first release. The S still has better range, performance, and looks with an IC, more functional HMI interfaces (seriously, putting vent adjustments behind a screen isn’t luxury, it’s cheap cost cutting). All with crossover size and functionality due to the hatch.

If you’re looking for the complete package EV, you’re still looking. The Taycan Turbo S is the closest, although that level of range is approaching being an issue to me. I’m hopeful the new S will be the most complete EV.

These actual cars coming off the production line may not be robotaxis, but it’s in the ethos and future of the M3 line. It’s arguably in the ethos of all Tesla’s, hence not having the complete package. This dichotomy will need some correction now that they have competition for upmarket buyers.

• Disagree
Reactions: sherlockw
When I got my Model S loaner while Model 3 (performance) was being repaired. I loved it so much I traded the 3 for Model X (I could only justify trading if the new Tesla could replace towing duties of my Jeep).

Night and day better feeling than the 3. Dual screens are awesome. Main Portrait screen is also larger. Much better to have Nav on a portrait screen. On Model 3 you end up with like 10” screen for Nav. On S/X you can use the whole freaken 17” (ends up 2-3x more area for Nav). Also running rear camera with Nav is nice.

The newer Raven suspension is so nice. Probably one of the biggest reasons for the switch. Model 3 gets exhausting (between road noise and stiff suspension). on long trips. I’ve read enough reports that Y is closer to a 3 than an X. I hear it’s better but then see lots of posts of how to improve it. Just like the 3. You don’t see posts like that on S and X.

Couple things I miss from the 3, but the list is very short. Like the phone as key was nice. Oh and you can close the Vented windows from phone app. Can’t close them on X. You can’t open them on the S. Not thrilled tires are staggered on Model X. Oh the Model 3 was a joke in the snow (with snows). I’m sure Y will be the same. The Model X is a beast in the snow.

When I got my Model S loaner while Model 3 (performance) was being repaired. I loved it so much I traded the 3 for Model X (I could only justify trading if the new Tesla could replace towing duties of my Jeep).

Night and day better feeling than the 3. Dual screens are awesome. Main Portrait screen is also larger. Much better to have Nav on a portrait screen. On Model 3 you end up with like 10” screen for Nav. On S/X you can use the whole freaken 17” (ends up 2-3x more area for Nav). Also running rear camera with Nav is nice.

The newer Raven suspension is so nice. Probably one of the biggest reasons for the switch. Model 3 gets exhausting (between road noise and stiff suspension). on long trips. I’ve read enough reports that Y is closer to a 3 than an X. I hear it’s better but then see lots of posts of how to improve it. Just like the 3. You don’t see posts like that on S and X.

Couple things I miss from the 3, but the list is very short. Like the phone as key was nice. Oh and you can close the Vented windows from phone app. Can’t close them on X. You can’t open them on the S. Not thrilled tires are staggered on Model X. Oh the Model 3 was a joke in the snow (with snows). I’m sure Y will be the same. The Model X is a beast in the snow.

I have to disagree. Unless they improved the screen quality in S since 2018 the Y has a better screen tech wise (pixel density etc). And the huge screen of the S doesn’t show any extra info, in fact it shows less info as it’s split between two screens, so your eyes are darting all over the place instead of info being in one place. Increasing size of things when you are so close is not a good thing in this case in my opinion. They should have kept things same size as 3/Y and fit more info onto the screen. You can buy a 60 inch tv from 2010 and 60 inch tv today, they are same size but today’s screen is much much better.

I agree M3 ride feels rough. I’d say my MY feels about the same as this loaner 75D. I haven’t ridden in P100D so can’t comment there.

I guess it’s just a personal preference. But something like lack of door pockets, terrible storage layout in the center, and the circa 1980’s manual fans in the S are huge turnoff for me. I do like the leather dash though. S used to be what? 3X the price of a MY? Yeah no thanks. If they were the same price i could see arguments for both. Y does a lot of things better than S.

regarding the looks. I think headlights and tail lights on S are way outdated. S does have a nice body shape though. As long as you don’t open the trunk. With trunk open it looks terrible from the side. Not a huge fan of S sitting lower than 99% of cars on the road, makes it seem minuscule. Even an Accord towers over it.

Last edited:
Like I said, no Tesla is a complete package and Tesla isn’t a luxury brand.

I didn’t say anything about the MS is so luxurious. It’s a statement of relativity. The MS is inherently closer to being a complete car than the more spartan/cheap 3/Y. They’ve done a good job of getting the herd to view much of the cost-cutting as appealing. It’s telling we’re comparing used, older MS to a new Y. Yes, the latest design by a nascent car company will have some advantages over the first release. The S still has better range, performance, and looks with an IC, more functional HMI interfaces (seriously, putting vent adjustments behind a screen isn’t luxury, it’s cheap cost cutting). All with crossover size and functionality due to the hatch.

If you’re looking for the complete package EV, you’re still looking. The Taycan Turbo S is the closest, although that level of range is approaching being an issue to me. I’m hopeful the new S will be the most complete EV.

These actual cars coming off the production line may not be robotaxis, but it’s in the ethos and future of the M3 line. It’s arguably in the ethos of all Tesla’s, hence not having the complete package. This dichotomy will need some correction now that they have competition for upmarket buyers.

I don’t think anyone is fooled by cost cutting design. This is why they are cheaper cars. But they did it well, like apple does with their products. Minimalism should not be always looked as a bad thing. Slick is often synonyms with minimalist, and people like slick things, outside of Tesla. Vents on the S are terrible. It’s like I am sitting in 1980’s car. Some people prefer that. Not me.

i was super anti how Tesla made the 3 compared to S when 3 first came out. Until I actually drove one as daily for a few weeks. Once you use it you don’t feel like anything is missing.

our phones used to have full keyboards, tons of buttons. We are down to half a dozen buttons. Do you miss old phones? No. I remember when iphone came out blackberry users were saying how virtual keyboards will never take off and they can’t live without their physical keyboard. And how removing physical keyboard was cost cutting cheap product solution. Well, look at blackberry now.

so, do you drive a 3 or a Y? Based on your comments it seems no.

I have to disagree. Unless they improved the screen quality in S since 2018 the Y has a better screen tech wise (pixel density etc). And the huge screen of the S doesn’t show any extra info, in fact it shows less info as it’s split between two screens, so your eyes are darting all over the place instead of info being in one place. Increasing size of things when you are so close is not a good thing in this case in my opinion. They should have kept things same size as 3/Y and fit more info onto the screen. You can buy a 60 inch tv from 2010 and 60 inch tv today, they are same size but today’s screen is much much better.

I agree M3 ride feels rough. I’d say my MY feels about the same as this loaner 75D. I haven’t ridden in P100D so can’t comment there.

I guess it’s just a personal preference. But something like lack of door pockets, terrible storage layout in the center, and the circa 1980’s manual fans in the S are huge turnoff for me. I do like the leather dash though. S used to be what? 3X the price of a MY? Yeah no thanks. If they were the same price i could see arguments for both. Y does a lot of things better than S.

regarding the looks. I think headlights and tail lights on S are way outdated. S does have a nice body shape though. As long as you don’t open the trunk. With trunk open it looks terrible from the side. Not a huge fan of S sitting lower than 99% of cars on the road, makes it seem minuscule. Even an Accord towers over it.

Model 3/Y and S/X all have the same resolution. 1920 x 1200.

15.4 inches in Model 3/Y

Darting back and forth. That’s funny.
I recently change my right cluster panel to be music. Use to be mini Energy graph. Now I typical swipe the music off of the main panel. The left Panel is usually the Nav “close up”.

The only thing the landscape screen does better is entertainment (I.e. NetFlix).

Tesla did great job with utilization of both hardware setups. But there is no question the S/X is nicer for me. And most people prefer it given a choice. The 3/X is certainly acceptable.

Model 3/Y and S/X all have the same resolution. 1920 x 1200.

15.4 inches in Model 3/Y
You nailed it right on the head. Same resolution, different screen sizes. So pixel density is much worse on S than 3/Y.

Darting back and forth. That’s funny.
I recently change my right cluster panel to be music. Use to be mini Energy graph. Now I typical swipe the music off of the main panel. The left Panel is usually the Nav “close up”.

The only thing the landscape screen does better is entertainment (I.e. NetFlix).

Tesla did great job with utilization of both hardware setups. But there is no question the S/X is nicer for me. And most people prefer it given a choice. The 3/X is certainly acceptable.

Everyone has their preferences. But I prefer all this stuff on the right display. The nav being on the left of the cluster is almost always blocked by the wheel and/or my hands.

Everyone has their preferences. But I prefer all this stuff on the right display. The nav being on the left of the cluster is almost always blocked by the wheel and/or my hands.

How do you sit? Or do you have your hands holding on the inside of the wheel while driving? Because I tried to block the cluster and the only way I can is if I am intentionally trying to which is also very uncomfortable. I completely understand your preference, however. When I first drove the S I hated the regen, but I quickly got used to it and now I hate my other cars that don't have it LOL!

How do you sit? Or do you have your hands holding on the inside of the wheel while driving? Because I tried to block the cluster and the only way I can is if I am intentionally trying to which is also very uncomfortable. I completely understand your preference, however. When I first drove the S I hated the regen, but I quickly got used to it and now I hate my other cars that don't have it LOL!

Agree on the regen, its weird every time driving other people's cars, and I almost always exit them while leaving them running lol.

I hold my hands either at 10 - 2 or at the bottom. If im holding on the bottom I like to position the wheel where I can rest my forearm on my thigh. And in that position the top of the wheel is right above the cluster, but left and right curves block the left/right sides of the screen.

I am sure its strictly my height/position that just happens to be this way. I will say that this was never an issue in any other cars. So something about MS specifically.

Reactions: byeLT4
You nailed it right on the head. Same resolution, different screen sizes. So pixel density is much worse on S than 3/Y.

So by you’re logic my 4K 65” TV is a POS and my 4K Phone is not.

Which would you want to watch a movie on?

If you knew anything about screens all it means is optimal viewing distance changes for the same resolution screen at different sizes.

But the real difference is that what is on the Center Cluster screen in the S/X has to be jammed onto the smaller Landscape screen of the 3/Y. That whole left side is your center cluster (just not centered, more darting your eyes around ;) ). So you end up with less real estate and less pixels for navigation and other things. The Nav on Model 3/Y is larger than most cars (but not by that much). The Model S/X can use the whole 17 inches. Which is awesome.

You can justify all you want which is better. I know what I and most people prefer given a choice. It is obviously a cost cutting measure. I (and many others) hope Tesla doesn’t butcher the up coming Model S/X refresh.

I was totally set on a MS and was even emotionally prepared for the cost, and then... I test drove one and then the M3. Both my wife and I liked the M3 better. The MS seat is less supportive, the biggest issue, the vertical screen room crowds my right knee and makes the cabin feel cramped. I still had one big issue with both the MS and the M3, and that was they were too low for me.

We figured that maybe the MX would be the best choice then, but we didn't like the rear doors, nor the glass where the sun is in your face (even though it was tinted quite dark). It looked like there wasn't a Tesla for us.

Fortunately, the sales rep told us about the MY. Fast forward 9 months later, and we are very happy with our LR AWD MY. For us, it was the best of all three other models. The only feature I miss from my higher end vehicles is the "active motion" massage seats that my Ford has. I see an aftermarket kit that effectively does that with the Tesla seats, but I doubt the pump was designed for continuous use like the Ford one is.

I was concerned about the single screen and lack of buttons, but it turns out to be a non-issue for me. The driving experience, FSD, remote cabin cooling (love that one), sentry mode security, entertainment when parked, etc. are all really nice.

Reactions: byeLT4
I am completely with OP on this one. I had a very similar experience when I got Model S as the loaner. The way Model Y drive feels much more tighter, giving more road feedback to driver. I hands down prefer the clean look of Model Y, especially with white interior. In Model S I felt like I am in MB or Lexus, not in a good way. And no, I am not trying to convince myself. I was trying to decide between Model X and Model Y with money being no concern. But seeing the inside of Model X and those falcon doors, pushed me to Model Y. Couldn't be happier (other than the payload capacity but that is a different story ;)).

Obviously we are talking about style and I don't expect everyone agreeing with me. Just wanted to say OP is not alone.

On the acceleration, it was weird. On S 75D, 0 to 20mph acceleration was far more explosive than my Y AWD. However 50mph to 70mph acceleration, Model S feels sluggish compared to Model Y. That was surprising to me.

TLDR: In my opinion MY is the best Tesla yet! So if you are on the fence, get the Y!

The seats are half cloth (not entirely leather like MY)

I wish the cloth option was available on the Model 3/Y but this is a personal preference.

It does have the cool raise/lower suspension feature,
I think the major difference between the Model S/X and the Model 3/Y is about the air suspension.

Does the air suspension really noticeable more comfortable?

Does the air suspension provide better cornering?

Would the air suspension be a good option for the Model 3/Y?

You can justify all you want which is better. I know what I and most people prefer given a choice. It is obviously a cost cutting measure. I (and many others) hope Tesla doesn’t butcher the up coming Model S/X refresh.

Not sure how you can make such claim without a statistically significant survey. If you truly have data to support your claim, I guess I am like OP and not in your "most people" category. I was given a choice, cost was not relevant for me between X and Y, and I chose Y over X (S and 3 was not in consideration list for me). So I wouldn't jump into conclusion that people get Y because of its lower price only.

That said, if X gets refreshed; have a much cleaner interior than it is today, just like Y; and loses those falcon wings, I would trade in MY for the new X easily for larger interior, better acceleration and higher payload capacity. And if that happens, perhaps some other folks would stop liking model X with a cleaner look like model Y. I guess people are just different, independent of their purchasing power.

Last edited:
Reactions: sckor and alloverx
I had a choice as well and cost WAS an issue. I still feel the used S was a better value than a new 3/Y to me. The only thing I might regret is the faster charging speeds that they get, I see them finish charging faster than me, however, I also realize I'm taking more juice since I have the 100kW battery. To each their own, if you are happy that is all that matters!!!

Reactions: Dcd7041