Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got rear Ended

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got rear ended, what’s the damage and what to look for beside fixed at Tesla. Clown distracted as I was stopped in traffics , probably hit me at 50 mph plus impact. I’m a little sore from impact. The police had my car towed away on a flat bed. Can you guys advise the next steps.. I don’t think I I have major impact beside rear lower bumper, trunk and front bumper. Pics are enclosed for reference how to pull the video from sentry recording as well I need to submit to my insurance company. I’m in NJ. Fully insured.

Attachments

• IMG_8291.jpeg
    IMG_8291.jpeg
    478.8 KB · Views: 473
  • IMG_8280.jpeg
    IMG_8280.jpeg
    987.9 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_8284.jpeg
    IMG_8284.jpeg
    756.6 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG_8290.jpeg
    IMG_8290.jpeg
    395.5 KB · Views: 451
Wow, glad you were not seriously hurt! Here in NC some people like to deal with the other party's insurance company directly and others like to use their own insurance company and let them go through the process of subrogation. I found that letting my insurance company handle the situation resulted in less stress for me. Good luck in getting everything taken care of.

Upvote 0
If you were rear-ended, then it's really hard for the other driver to put the blame on you. You'll have to wait for the police report before insurance will do much, but you should be getting in contact with the other car's insurance company.
Send a Service Request, there's a special category for collision and repair and wait to see what they say. Tesla has cole coliision centers and in other areas will push you to a third party. You'll hopefully start to have guidance from the insurance company, but will probably need to get the car flat towed to the service center for a quote. And you'll then start to find out if the car get's totalled from the Insurance company

You'll want to find out about a temp car during the period, which can range from a few weeks to months depending on what has to be done and if there is stock.

It's not a fun experience, it takes some work.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Upvote 0
Get the car towed to a Tesla-ceritified shop. Call your insurance company and tell them where it is. Ignore their pitch to take your car to their approved (and heavily discounted) body shop. Ask about a rental reimbursement. Don't waste your time with the other party's insurance. Make your insurer work for you -- that's what you pay them for. They pay the claim and get reimbursed by the other guy.

Upvote 0
I just got rear ended this afternoon. I was waiting at a traffic intersection and the guy in the back was either distracted, he claims he didn’t see me? It was 6:15 pm, clear and sunny 88 degrees outside. I was waiting for traffic to move, had my foot on the brake and he slammed into me so hard I moved up and hit the car in front of me. The car in front only sustained a scratch on her bumper, by my car front bumper is messed up, the PPF protected from major scrapes. The rear bumper was shattered, rear trunk was impacted from the hood of the Hooptie. Im okay, just some aches for now. What do you think of the range of emt 22 MYP with less than 10k miles, I’ve only owned it for 8 months only. I’ve filed a claim this evening, can someone tell me how I can pull the video from the car? Thank you in advance. Tesla kept me safe and can’t say much for the Hooptie that hit me. What kind of losses are we talking here? How long to fix this at Tesla dealership? Cost estimate? I have $250 deductible in NJ

Attachments

• IMG_8280.jpeg
    IMG_8280.jpeg
    987.9 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_8281.jpeg
    IMG_8281.jpeg
    999.3 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_8284.jpeg
    IMG_8284.jpeg
    756.6 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_8279.jpeg
    IMG_8279.jpeg
    807.7 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_8286.jpeg
    IMG_8286.jpeg
    814.3 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_8291.jpeg
    IMG_8291.jpeg
    478.8 KB · Views: 195
Upvote 0
For me they had most parts in hand except for stuff in relation to front frame rail replacement… they’re not estimating end of June, but many Tesla certified places were saying 3-6 months based on their workload.

Washington state only has one Tesla owned collision center and they wouldn’t even let me schedule something because they were booked out till end of summer.

If it really was 50 mph I suspect frame damage. My impact was between 30 and 20 mph and I sustained frame damage. (I had a feeling when the famous panel gap between front quarter panel and door suddenly had really tight tolerances).

Upvote 0
I just got rear ended this afternoon. I was waiting at a traffic intersection and the guy in the back was either distracted, he claims he didn’t see me? It was 6:15 pm, clear and sunny 88 degrees outside. I was waiting for traffic to move, had my foot on the brake and he slammed into me so hard I moved up and hit the car in front of me. The car in front only sustained a scratch on her bumper, by my car front bumper is messed up, the PPF protected from major scrapes. The rear bumper was shattered, rear trunk was impacted from the hood of the Hooptie. Im okay, just some aches for now. What do you think of the range of emt 22 MYP with less than 10k miles, I’ve only owned it for 8 months only. I’ve filed a claim this evening, can someone tell me how I can pull the video from the car? Thank you in advance. Tesla kept me safe and can’t say much for the Hooptie that hit me. What kind of losses are we talking here? How long to fix this at Tesla dealership? Cost estimate? I have $250 deductible in NJ
Sorry to see that. Having been rear-ended myself I feel the pain every time I see one of these posts.

It's hard to tell how much damage from pictures, but it seems like most of the damage is in the rear and it doesn't look as bad as it could have been. That said, I'm sure it'll be a lot more than it looks after a body shop disassemble things. Could the car still be driven? Having no idea what it looks like beneath the bumper and more importantly the floor area in the rear, I would guess $10k at the low end and over $20k on the high end.

When I was hit, the rear liftgate basically looked like yours, but my lower bumper (black section) was intact with only a couple of small punctures. The liftgate was displaced a bit but still functioned and I was able to drive the car for 2 months while I waited for the body shop to take it in. My repair bill was just under $7k (initial estimate was under $4k), but the body shop guy told me if the floor had been damaged, it would have easily been double.

Regarding the video, did you push the dashcam icon after impact? If not, it may or may not have been saved, based on what I've seen reported around here regarding dashcam footage from collisions. Saving the dashcam footage was the first thing I did when I got rear-ended, but the impact was moderate (neither my wife or I suffered any injuries) so I imagine my situation wasn't as stressful as yours. You need to pull out the USB drive in the glovebox and check the video files in there to see if the collision was recorded.

Good luck with getting everything sorted out.

Upvote 0
Sorry to see that. Having been rear-ended myself I feel the pain every time I see one of these posts.

It's hard to tell how much damage from pictures, but it seems like most of the damage is in the rear and it doesn't look as bad as it could have been. That said, I'm sure it'll be a lot more than it looks after a body shop disassemble things. Could the car still be driven? Having no idea what it looks like beneath the bumper and more importantly the floor area in the rear, I would guess $10k at the low end and over $20k on the high end.

When I was hit, the rear liftgate basically looked like yours, but my lower bumper (black section) was intact with only a couple of small punctures. The liftgate was displaced a bit but still functioned and I was able to drive the car for 2 months while I waited for the body shop to take it in. My repair bill was just under $7k (initial estimate was under $4k), but the body shop guy told me if the floor had been damaged, it would have easily been double.

Regarding the video, did you push the dashcam icon after impact? If not, it may or may not have been saved, based on what I've seen reported around here regarding dashcam footage from collisions. Saving the dashcam footage was the first thing I did when I got rear-ended, but the impact was moderate (neither my wife or I suffered any injuries) so I imagine my situation wasn't as stressful as yours. You need to pull out the USB drive in the glovebox and check the video files in there to see if the collision was recorded.

Good luck with getting everything sorted out.
Thanks, my sentry mode is always on and always recording. The impact was so bad my Front plate holder with is latch the the grill is bent too. The car in front of me suffered a scratch on her bumper, I do t have damage on fenders the bumper at least lower part just shattered as shown in the pics.

Upvote 0
I was shaken up from the impact and body pain , I didn’t push any buttons in my car, car is alway recording when driving. I turn off the sentry mode while the car was impounded and take away o a flat bed, the police would not let me drive my car from the reader portion handing off like that. I already called my agent and got the claim started. All I remember is I was wait for the traffic to move and the guy slammed into me. The message came on screen car going into parking mode impact detected or something that extent, I was able to move the car to the side .!!I was literally 2 miles from my home and this happened on a two way one lane road with stoped heavy traffic. I will be contacting a lawyer today so they can deal with my stress and pain instead, between insurance companies, medical, and car situation. I must say that Xpel ppf took the brunt of impact and probably held the plastic together pretty well. Also how to retrieve the footage from the car even if the footage sinxeni did not hit the save button since I was shaken up and in confusion. I read online the data can be retrieved since the rears was camera would have picked it up, would still be saved on the memory stick?

Upvote 0
Glad to hear you're ok but still get your soreness checked out. My wife was rear-ended at 45 MPH and while she complained of neck pain, over months it took a toll on her back

Airbag deploy is already costly...god speed on this

Im pretty sure that the airbag picture is the other persons car (since its a white car and the OPs car is clearly grey), so the OP was taking pictures of the other persons airbag deployment for some reason (and likely shown in the reflection you see there).

Upvote 0
I'll be curious if you have any luck with a lawyer... wasn't sure if you had injuries or not, but everything I seem to read the lawyers only really want to get involved if there are injuries, if not, they don't really care.

If the vehicle detected an accident it likely recorded and saved that event on the USB drive. My vehicle actually had it saved to a separate folder on the USB drive because it had detected an event.

Upvote 0
Doesn't the at-fault insurance pay for medical care, w/o the involvement of a lawyer? I would keep it simple, and avoid the hassle/expense/stress of involving a lawyer...unless you're of the mind to go after the insured for "pain and suffering." ;)

Upvote 0
These kinds of accidents are cut and dry. Don't really need video for it. I think if you go with your own insurance. There is a rental limit on the policy even if the other side is at fault. Tesla takes unreasonably long to repair. Especially when your car is not drivable. You should confirm with your insurance on rental duration. If it is me, I will go with the other insurance if it is a big name and pick a reputable tesla certified body shop from their network for repair.

Upvote 0
Doesn't the at-fault insurance pay for medical care, w/o the involvement of a lawyer? I would keep it simple, and avoid the hassle/expense/stress of involving a lawyer...unless you're of the mind to go after the insured for "pain and suffering." ;)
You are not going after insured for pain and suffering. You are dealing with the other party's insurance company not an individual. Get a lawyer. Let the lawyer handle everyrhing there's no need for the OP to go thru the hassle.

Upvote 0