Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just hit me about something utterly bizarre regarding Model 3 reservations.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You know Tesla is really doing themselves a disservice...i thought about my S for a while and then on a whim test drove a used one on a lot i saw while on lunchbreak, TOTALLY blew me away and I think i put a deposit in the next day for my S60. But then i guess Tesla doesnt NEED to "sell" the car as the wait is so long now

It's a nice car, just not $49k nice compared to other cars on the market IMO (we apples-to-apples compared it to a range of ICE sedans and small SUVs). Hoping that my new fav, the XC40, doesn't end up disappointing once I finally get to test drive it in a few weeks.

Did you get to try out highway EAP? I had a old version of AP2 software, the first one to enable 80MPH autosteer. I went to Vegas from LA and literally drove no more than 10 miles each leg of the trip. I was very relaxed, foot off the pedal and had much less fatigue than I normally feel when making that drive.

Another time, I had a ninety minute drive for what should have have been 15 minutes. Just set autosteer and let the car do its thing while I relax.

My wife said who said the Model X was more expensive than all 4 of our previous cars combined said it was 'worth every penny'.

Now, EAP is not FSD and not getting me from SF to NY while I'm asleep but beyond awesome to the 'next best alternative'.

Zero chance XC40 does the scenarios I mentioned. Is EAP or future FSD something you are completely uninterested in?

That's a differentiation for sure. It's something I wouldn't go without, and it would be a safe assumption that the 3 would do it as well as the S or X would so part of that goes into "not worried getting it undriven".

Also XC40 0 to 60 = 6.2
Model 3 0 to 60 = 4.7

That's a night and day difference that would be tens of thousands when going between cars.

It's like sex every time you push your foot on the accelerator if needing to teleport from 1 area of the road to the next.

0 to 30 is way underrated when you just need a quickie to move around local streets as well.

Last edited:
For me it has not been "never". I have bought several aircraft that way, and lots of cars. In a few cases (NSU, Maserati, Morgan) I had never even seen the model I bought one prior to buying it. Never regretted one, rationally I should regret the NSU RO80 but I do not!
I bought an A36 long distance with the clear understanding that I would pay his fuel bill outbound, but the owner would fly it home on his own dime if I didn't like what I saw on the test flight. And there was a long, detailed test flight.
It was a good airplane, fortunately for all.
Robin

• Love
Reactions: jbcarioca
Did you get to try out highway EAP? I had a old version of AP2 software, the first one to enable 80MPH autosteer. I went to Vegas from LA and literally drove no more than 10 miles each leg of the trip. I was very relaxed, foot off the pedal and had much less fatigue than I normally feel when making that drive.

Another time, I had a ninety minute drive for what should have have been 15 minutes. Just set autosteer and let the car do its thing while I relax.

My wife said who said the Model X was more expensive than all 4 of our previous cars combined said it was 'worth every penny'.

Now, EAP is not FSD and not getting me from SF to NY while I'm asleep but beyond awesome to the 'next best alternative'.

Zero chance XC40 does the scenarios I mentioned. Is EAP or future FSD something you are completely uninterested in?

That's a differentiation for sure. It's something I wouldn't go without, and it would be a safe assumption that the 3 would do it as well as the S or X would so part of that goes into "not worried getting it undriven".
We did some autopilot on the highway, and it was impressive until sun glare on the road caused it to slightly drift out of the lane. The owner, an early investor and Model S owner said he had about 60% confidence in autopilot, but that still left him 40% not confident. I think FSD will be cool and I'd really like one (hate driving), but I have no interest in any self-driving features until the system is ready for city driving. Majority of our driving is city driving in Seattle, and we're rarely on the highway for more than 10-20 minutes.

There is nothing bizarre about it. I know people who reserved and don’t move forward due to all the issues showing up. It doesn’t mean much.

I have bought Mercedes, Porsche, BMW M cars without test driving. It’s not even just putting down a deposit.

There is nothing bizarre about it. I know people who reserved and don’t move forward due to all the issues showing up. It doesn’t mean much.

I have bought Mercedes, Porsche, BMW M cars without test driving. It’s not even just putting down a deposit.

I think that's an outlier.

There are Model 3 cancellations because some people cannot afford a Model 3 unless its $35,000 + full $7500 credit. Those with even twice the car budget is not going to be buying Mercedes, Porsche's or M Series BMWs without a test drive.

And not sure why you wouldn't test driven within those 3 manufacturers since they are within the same class and price?

You are helping to prove my argument that people are taking delivery even with "all the issues showing up". This is the most scrutinized car on the planet.

I will buy the SR plus EAP sight unseen. I know EAP isn’t where I want it, (Kinda scared me on my test drive of a Model X) but I know it will be there in a year when I get mine. I have two reservations, I plan on buying two SR models, maybe the second will be dual motor for winter weather, I’ve not yet decided. My wife will have to help me to NOT click “first production” when I get my invite this summer.

We did some autopilot on the highway, and it was impressive until sun glare on the road caused it to slightly drift out of the lane. The owner, an early investor and Model S owner said he had about 60% confidence in autopilot, but that still left him 40% not confident. I think FSD will be cool and I'd really like one (hate driving), but I have no interest in any self-driving features until the system is ready for city driving. Majority of our driving is city driving in Seattle, and we're rarely on the highway for more than 10-20 minutes.

Was that a Model 3 or Model S? AP1 or AP2?
60% confidence is not very high it's also certain to improve over time. Tesla has it's work cut out for it but once it reaches the next milestones:

-Reading signs and traffic lights (It's being evaluated since its in the code)
-Detecting idle vehicle or solid mass objects
-Able to make turns (being able to navigate onramp/offramps is in development)

It's getting closer and it would be a colossal f'up from Tesla if the 3 cannot achieve at least Level 4 Autonomy given its claim to work on the Tesla network. By definition, your city driving would be covered.

I suppose there could be something on a test drive that would be a deal breaker...but I can't really imagine what. We bought both the S and the X sight unseen without a test drive/ride...or even having ever seen one in person before taking delivery. Same with my previous car, a Gen 2 Prius.

I think a Test Drive is important to 'seal the deal' for car salesmen/women, but I'm not sure it's actually important to change one's mind against buying a car.

I suppose there could be something on a test drive that would be a deal breaker...but I can't really imagine what. We bought both the S and the X sight unseen without a test drive/ride...or even having ever seen one in person before taking delivery. Same with my previous car, a Gen 2 Prius.

I think a Test Drive is important to 'seal the deal' for car salesmen/women, but I'm not sure it's actually important to change one's mind against buying a car.
Test drive is essential for me. If I have to crank my head sideways to get into the cabin, we're done.
Model 3 passed that test very well.
Robin

Reactions: MXWing
Yeah, it's kind of odd to me as a non-owner, but a lot of people who have already received cars are early adopters, investors, and/or diehard EV/Tesla enthusiasts, and kinda new what they were getting into.

Persistent delivery delays aside, being able to experience a $49k Model 3 for a few hours in January is what convinced me that it wasn't the car for me. Had I not been able to do so, I'd probably still be holding my early morning day 1 west coast reservation and ticked off about delivery delays.

It's a nice car, just not $49k nice compared to other cars on the market IMO (we apples-to-apples compared it to a range of ICE sedans and small SUVs). Hoping that my new fav, the XC40, doesn't end up disappointing once I finally get to test drive it in a few weeks.

3 & Volvo's ICE small CUV ( at $45K nicely equipped ) fill different niches....

Volvo has received good reviews although C&D did ping them for seats and engine noise & fuel economy is just OK. E version is supposedly coming in '19 or '20 but no pricing yet.

( Volvo XC40 Reviews | Volvo XC40 Price, Photos, and Specs | Car and Driver )

Volvo has received good reviews although C&D did ping them for seats and engine noise & fuel economy is just OK. E version is supposedly coming in '19 or '20 but no pricing yet.

With the 248-hp engine, the T5 punches hard and moves the estimated 3800-pound XC40 along briskly—the claimed, and believable, zero-to-60-mph time is 6.2 seconds.

Nope nope nope. I get frustrated now in a car that can't do that in under 5.

Reactions: X Fan
I bought an A36 long distance with the clear understanding that I would pay his fuel bill outbound, but the owner would fly it home on his own dime if I didn't like what I saw on the test flight. And there was a long, detailed test flight.
It was a good airplane, fortunately for all.
Robin
I bought a CE525 two years prior to launch, having never used an CE product other than a flock of ancient CE172's. I paid prior to delivery, of course, and had dozens of squawks on delivery. A year later after being out of service more than in I luckily was bailed out with help of attorneys. they resold it to somebody in Switzerland. Never again for CE for me.

Luckily Tesla has restored my faith in sight unseen.