Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just made a second reservation for a Model 3!!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
bye bye road trips! better keep an ICE as a spare.

This is an insult to thousands of folks who take road trips every day in a Tesla. If we can take trips with a 250 mile S, it should be easier in a 310 mile M3.

You are making relatively rare event in CA as if it is a daily occurrence throughout US, especially for someone who is in PA.

Also made two Model 3 reservations, although I got impatient and leased an S in the meantime. :)

The S is a great road trip car and the ICE sits home neglected most of the time -- definitely looking forward to going all EV soon.

This is an insult to thousands of folks who take road trips every day in a Tesla. If we can take trips with a 250 mile S, it should be easier in a 310 mile M3.

You are making relatively rare event in CA as if it is a daily occurrence throughout US, especially for someone who is in PA.

@mkjayakumar What I describe in CA is a regular phenomenon, over 90%. I forget what state you're in but it's bad in CA. Probably not an issue in more rural parts of the country.

This evening my wife and I made our second model 3 reservation!!! This one will be for her. She simply wants the base range and black exterior. The only option she wants it AWD. Expected delivery is late 2018...can't wait!! Bye bye gas stations!! :)
Congrats. And "bye bye gas stations" is just the beginning.
The quick, smooth, quiet, solid ride will become so innate to driving, ICE cars will seem steam-powered.
If you do rent an ICE for a trip, retrain yourself for driving a machine that no longer seems to react to your thoughts and for the need to make sure you turned the rental off and locked it. With Model 3, even key fobs are a thing of the past and looking for the ICE start button will be a chore.
Looking forward to hearing about your first Tesla.

Reactions: pkalhan and EinSV
@mkjayakumar What I describe in CA is a regular phenomenon, over 90%. I forget what state you're in but it's bad in CA. Probably not an issue in more rural parts of the country.
It's not over 90%. On all of those road trips I mentioned, I only once encountered a full Supercharger. That was in Roseville, and I waited under 10 minutes.

If you'd like people to stop ascribing intent to your posts, perhaps back off on the factual looking stats unless you have actual data to support them.

I drive SoCal to NorCal 1-2 times per month. Plus, plenty of cross-country.
Tesla's are very popular in CA. And the Superchargers are the busiest here but 90% is hyperbolic.
Alternating I-5 and US101 routes, once I waited for a spot at San Juan Cap (10 mins but got great tacos) and once at Harris (5 mins).

It's not over 90%. On all of those road trips I mentioned, I only once encountered a full Supercharger. That was in Roseville, and I waited under 10 minutes.

If you'd like people to stop ascribing intent to your posts, perhaps back off on the factual looking stats unless you have actual data to support them.
Denver (south) has a lot of issues. I've waited a couple times there, over 45 minutes on one. But they are finally claiming they will expand it, plus add 10 destination chargers. Hopefully people will realize the destination chargers are for those visiting the mall...

I apologize if people found my original post to be flippant. The OP had a short post and so did I, plus replying from a smartphone never really gets the point across. Congratulations to the OP on the reservation, that goes without saying. But, it will be a rough road to ditch ICE entirely.

All I can speak for is my own experiences in SoCal and the Bay Area. I've always had to wait for a stall, and when I get there, I always charge slowly.

Perhaps everyone else is more patient etc. but my time is too valuable for the Tesla road trip experience. I'd probably feel differently if I were a retiree.

@ohmman I can tell you're an intelligent guy, but your dataset is as anecdotal as mine. We'll agree to disagree on this one. Perhaps the Tesla gods shine down more strongly on you and I am being punished for my contrarian (but IMO accurate) view on Tesla. There always has to be balance in the force. I refrain from posting good things not because they don't exist, but because I think there is already too much of that already. The overly positive view on Tesla is what led me to erroneously purchase the car, and I want everyone out there to get both sides (good and bad) before falling into the same trap as me.

That being said I think the M3 will be a hit.

@ShockOnT hahaha, thanks for the concern, but no worries, I was just out of the house all day. I am not worried about having two EVs and am looking forward to it. Again, we reserved it to keep our place in line. The time between getting the first car and the second car will give my wife enough time to decide if the Model 3 is for her. If she doesn't like it, we cancel. If she likes it, then we keep the reservation.

My only concern is for situations where we would have to fly somewhere for vacation. If we visit my wife's sister in Cali and leave the car at the airport parking lot, how long would the battery last? Would a week by too long? I think that is the longest we would ever be away.

Lastly, as far as road trips go, we have only really driven back to Jersey (where I grew up) or NYC (where wifey grew up) the last couple of years to visit friends and currently there are 3 superchargers along the PA Turnpike. By the end of this year, I believe there will be 2 more, so over the 400 miles of highway, we will have access to 5 superchargers which I think should be enough for this type of trip.

Thanks All!

Just adding my experience.

I drive a 90D. IT IS MY ONLY CAR. I charge at home, which gas cars can't do. On long trips, about once a month, I have once in five years had to wait THREE minutes for a charger.

I had one of the first Model Ss. A month after buying it my wife and I drove to Canada, for fun. There were no Superchargers, Oh MY! But there were many motels with 50 amp 220, many RV parks, and a relative here and there and me with my collection of 50 amp circuit breakers.

There's a trick to not having to wait, though.

People who don't charge at home, who only travel during peak drive times (Sat AM to Sun PM) will of course find more people at the chargers. And again, some chargers are known to be busy, partly because locals use them so they won't have to pay for electricity at home. Since those chargers are known, they can be avoided, especially if potential owners figure out that range matters. Don't expect the easy road if you have bought the cheapest battery.

As to other posts here, I'm glad you're asking, at least. Too many folks just assume that the car will die in a traffic jam (it won't) or run out of juice while parked at the airport (probably not in a week -- about 3 or 4 miles a day lost, and most airports have chargers) and that electric cars are to be avoided.. Actually, it is gas cars that cannot compete, and the Big Boyz know it.

@ShockOnT hahaha, thanks for the concern, but no worries, I was just out of the house all day. I am not worried about having two EVs and am looking forward to it. Again, we reserved it to keep our place in line. The time between getting the first car and the second car will give my wife enough time to decide if the Model 3 is for her. If she doesn't like it, we cancel. If she likes it, then we keep the reservation.

My only concern is for situations where we would have to fly somewhere for vacation. If we visit my wife's sister in Cali and leave the car at the airport parking lot, how long would the battery last? Would a week by too long? I think that is the longest we would ever be away.

Lastly, as far as road trips go, we have only really driven back to Jersey (where I grew up) or NYC (where wifey grew up) the last couple of years to visit friends and currently there are 3 superchargers along the PA Turnpike. By the end of this year, I believe there will be 2 more, so over the 400 miles of highway, we will have access to 5 superchargers which I think should be enough for this type of trip.

Thanks All!

A week should not be too long. Although I'd recommend turning off "cabin overheat protection" or any other features like "preconditioning" that will run the air conditioning while you are away. I think I lose 5% a day or so when parked.

@ohmman I can tell you're an intelligent guy, but your dataset is as anecdotal as mine. We'll agree to disagree on this one. Perhaps the Tesla gods shine down more strongly on you and I am being punished for my contrarian (but IMO accurate) view on Tesla.
You were making a claim. The burden of proof was upon you.

Speaking of erroneous claims, "intelligent guy" is waaaay off. ;)

Thanks All!

Parking & Transport @ Pittsburgh Airport

ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING
Located in the Short Term Parking Garage on top and middle levels of garage. Level I Electric vehicle charging parking spaces are marked green and white, with a ‘Power Up’ sign hung above each space.

Don't know if you can use that for a week vacation somewhere--it is short term parking. It's probably more intended for someone to charge while they're picking someone up or doing a day trip.

They also have an option to Reserve Parking spots?! You could check to see if you can get one near a plug (even a standard socket would be good for some vampire drain).

You should also check out Bjorn Nyland's YouTube videos too. He had one early on, when he had his Model S P85, where he left the car at the airport for an extended amount of time (IIRC it may have been a month)--unplugged. I don't recall how much range he lost, but I just remember he was happy with how much he had left when he got back... he's in Norway. Nonetheless, @oktane's recommendations about limiting vampire drain would be prudent.

PS--we've gone all EV now, and love it! We don't make too many road trips, but when we did/do, we had no problems with charging, etc... even with some of the busiest superchargers in SoCal. Having the long range model 3 will make it even easier. We found ourselves skipping supercharger stops because we realized how much range our X100D has--which is less than the LR model 3.

Last edited:
This evening my wife and I made our second model 3 reservation!!! This one will be for her. She simply wants the base range and black exterior. The only option she wants it AWD. Expected delivery is late 2018...can't wait!! Bye bye gas stations!! :)

Don't forget about setting up charging at home. There are lots of threads about different options. We bought a house that came with a 14-30 plug built in. Our previous house we installed a 14-50. Also consider a Tesla HPWC. With 2 EVs I do recommend getting home charging set up...unless you get good charging at work or something...and even then. It's so awesome to wake up with a full charge.