Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just mashed the pedal on a Performance Model 3, OMG!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what's everyone getting as far as kw/mi on their 3Ps? I haven't dipped below 375 kw/hr or so in the month I've owned it - short trips around town, not too many pedal-to-floor events. Not complaining 'cause I didn't buy this for range, but it's a bit disconcerting that I probably have a total range of ~180-200 mi or so.

The mix of the performance + operating costs just makes me f***ing giddy every day.

I actually ran it down under 50% over the last week or so, usually at home I keep it "topped off", but I still have like 960 free SC-er miles that aren't getting used, so I'm going to "fill up" at the local SC-er over the weekend :)
Yup, TeslaFi tells me on a recent trip, I spent roughly 0.18c going 6 miles. I had a Charger Scat Pack that on a good day would give me 18 mpg at $3.60. Which means that 6 miles would have cost me $1.20. $1.20 vs 0.18c...... 😍

Reactions: MaskedRacerX
So what's everyone getting as far as kw/mi on their 3Ps? I haven't dipped below 375 kw/hr or so in the month I've owned it - short trips around town, not too many pedal-to-floor events. Not complaining 'cause I didn't buy this for range, but it's a bit disconcerting that I probably have a total range of ~180-200 mi or so.
Yep, that’s pretty much spot on for my M3P over the past 18 months. 200 miles for a full charge is what I work on, basically 20 miles for each 10%.

• Informative
Reactions: MaskedRacerX
After 41000 miles, and almost 3 years, I can still get 290-300 miles out of a full charge If I drive conservatively. My lifetime wh/m remains about 267, but that’s just the average of my regular, every day driving (occasional, full throttle starts, highway driving, etc). If I‘m purposeful about getting good range, even with the P3+, I can still get rated range. I believe most here can too.

288 lifetime or 12k miles. That includes a northeast winter on snow tires.

Reactions: JohnnyMa
Good to know. I have no idea if these cars have a break-in period like an ICE car or get more efficient with use (first EV, one month in), and my trips during COVID have been very short.

No "break in" period, but super-short trips (as well as 75+ mph freeway driving) will kill your range.

My Model 3P on aftermarket (not aerodynamic) rims lifetime average is 304wh/mile at 36,000 miles and 32 months.

I have a loaner Performance at the moment. I thought it was locked down to "Chill" mode. While that is true apparently you still get full power if you floor the accelerator. Holy crap is that thing fast! :p I passed a semi going about 50 and by the time I was clear to switch back into my lane it the Performance was approaching 90 mph. All in the space of three or four semi lengths. My LR RWD is fast, this Performance is insane. It's like a RWD that never eases off after you leave the line. I may have to upgrade. :eek:
I know what you mean. I just traded in a 2011 X5-M on a 2019 M3P. I had been considering purchasing an all electric vehicle to replace my 2018 Volt. Initially I was considering the 2021 Bolt as they could be purchased, without any tax credits, starting at $22K. Then I considered Tesla as they are available in AWD configurations. Upon researching further I was impressed with the performance available in the M3P.

I looked for used M3Ps and Carvana seems to have a lock on the majority of them. I didn't want to go through Carvana without having at least driven the car to know if I would even like it (I am aware they give you seven days to try it out but doing so seems like a lot of work). A local dealer had one so it was my intention to just take it for a test drive to see if I liked it (not so much the performance but just overall). Well, I pressed down on the go pedal and I was sold. My initial thought was to test drive this one and then compare it to others which were for sale (including new). I loved it so much I decided to buy it right then and there.

I loved my X5-M, it was a great vehicle. But the purchase of the M3P allowed me to consolidate my desire for a pure EV with the (even better) performance of the X5-M. I was able to go from three vehicles down to two (the remaining vehicle is my Subaru Outback which is more of a workhorse car). As with any change in vehicle there are positives and negatives but the daily "cummutability" of the M3P combined with the hard to beat performance (at least acceleration) had me sold the first time I put my foot into it on the test drive.

Yeah I got an overnight tester P3 a few months ago... I couldn't believe how fast the P3 is for the price. And the car still rides pretty well and is so quiet so it can be used for family use. Easily the best performance-oriented bargain out there and the kid can actually fall asleep in the back. Although I got a whopping 1.5 miles per kWh when driving it because I kept mashing the pedal on the right.

I had a Dodge Charger as well, and the wife made me get rid of it because the baby hated riding in the back. And it wasn't practical due to looking like I was an drug dealer causing me to get pulled over all the time and having to explain to the police that I in fact did not have drugs in the back of my car.

We also tried a Performance Y but oddly my wife didn't like it at all. So P3 it is.
Thats racist

After 41000 miles, and almost 3 years, I can still get 290-300 miles out of a full charge If I drive conservatively. My lifetime wh/m remains about 267, but that’s just the average of my regular, every day driving (occasional, full throttle starts, highway driving, etc). If I‘m purposeful about getting good range, even with the P3+, I can still get rated range. I believe most here can too.

What size wheels?

With the standard 20" wheels with the performance tires I don't think anyone is getting much more than 200 miles. At least not on the freeway doing 70+mph.

If the 310 miles stated range was true I'd easily be able to get from my house to Portland which is around 200 miles away with charging only to 90%. But, it's just isn't going to happen. Sure if I charge to 100%, and I keep the speed down I can make it with plenty of buffer during the summer.

Reactions: JohnnyMa
What size wheels?

With the standard 20" wheels with the performance tires I don't think anyone is getting much more than 200 miles. At least not on the freeway doing 70+mph.

If the 310 miles stated range was true I'd easily be able to get from my house to Portland which is around 200 miles away with charging only to 90%. But, it's just isn't going to happen. Sure if I charge to 100%, and I keep the speed down I can make it with plenty of buffer during the summer.
EVs get better mileage in city driving situations than on the highway. If you drive conservatively (as they do in obtaining EPA mileage figures) you’ll get much closer to rated range. 75 mph on the expressway isn’t it.

EVs get better mileage in city driving situations than on the highway. If you drive conservatively (as they do in obtaining EPA mileage figures) you’ll get much closer to rated range. 75 mph on the expressway isn’t it.

City driving is highly dependent on climate, length of drive, etc.

It's so situationally dependent that I have zero issue believing one story of someone having great efficiency, and another that has half the efficiency of what's advertised.

My own commute to work is terrible in terms of efficiency, but it's not something I particularly care about.

All I really care about is 70+ mph for 200 miles.

These is where wheel size really matters.