Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just ordered..where do I put a referral link in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No need to cancel, just ask the DA to add it to the account.

There are so many examples of this failing to work that in all likelihood this won't work. I was in the same boat - totally forgot to add the referral, read the numerous, numerous horror stories of it not taking if added after the fact, canceled and reordered. Much simpler, and then you don't have to worry about it for the next few months.

I forgot to use my friend's referral link so I messaged my SA and he said he could add it. This was the same day I placed the order.
2 months later when I finally got it, the referral wasn't there. I contacted Tesla and they said they could not add referrals after-the-fact (even though I forwarded the e-mail from my SA saying he had)

Tho so far, 2 months into ownership, I'm only out $1.18 in supercharging...

Reactions: vickh
I forgot to use my friend's referral link so I messaged my SA and he said he could add it. This was the same day I placed the order.
2 months later when I finally got it, the referral wasn't there. I contacted Tesla and they said they could not add referrals after-the-fact (even though I forwarded the e-mail from my SA saying he had)

Tho so far, 2 months into ownership, I'm only out $1.18 in supercharging...

Interesting. I did the same thing as you but have a few more weeks before delivery, however I confirmed that my DA did set it up because my name is listed as a referral inside my friend's Tesla account. If you used a public code from someone you don't know this may not be possible, but a friend should be able to verify for those that are unsure if the DA actually added the referral.

Interesting. I did the same thing as you but have a few more weeks before delivery, however I confirmed that my DA did set it up because my name is listed as a referral inside my friend's Tesla account. If you used a public code from someone you don't know this may not be possible, but a friend should be able to verify for those that are unsure if the DA actually added the referral.

this discrepancy is exactly why it's best to use the link. After the fact it becomes a manual process which is very bureaucractic/siloed in Tesla's world.

It took a few months to get credit for my own purchase and my buddy had my referral in his app the whole time. I sent a screen shot of his app and asked the referral dept to explain. they finally relented but would not give the 5k miles only 1k current promo.

There are so many examples of this failing to work that in all likelihood this won't work. I was in the same boat - totally forgot to add the referral, read the numerous, numerous horror stories of it not taking if added after the fact, canceled and reordered. Much simpler, and then you don't have to worry about it for the next few months.

I'm with you given my experience.

I will ask the sales guy....but I guess I will not really worry about it since I assume that 1000 super charge miles is really not worth much.

Lets say that it for some reason costs $20 to supercharge 250 miles....and I know its way lower than that....I would be out $80...meh

When you are given a referral it takes you to a special ordering webpage at Tesla’s site which marks it as a referral. You’re owner “friend” should have told you to access the site thru the link they were given in their account. Or if not ordered online but at a store, looked up and entered at the time of placing the order with Tesla’s store computer by the advisor.

No guarantee they will honor it after the fact. They were apparently auditing the referrals last year and many told sorry. Many were told they would need to cancel and reorder thru the link to get the supercharging or whatever the reward was.

They are nice to have if u travel or rely on Superchargers if there’s no available home set up. The 1000 miles isn’t much with a 310+ range car if you think about it or a 240+ either. You have to use in 6 months with this promotion. I think it’s more the idea of getting something for free that makes them seem so desirable that people will cancel an order and reorder. The higher value rewards are a bit more enticing (5K or the MS/MX free supercharging) but not what’s offered on the Model 3 right now.

I’d say worth asking your OA if your friends referral can be added in any event but don’t count on it happening necessarily after delivery. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. But hopefully your post thread gets read by others hoping to order down the road and have a referral they can use so they use the link and avoid all this.

Reactions: Jones0812
Also remember that those 1000 free Supercharger miles will expire in 6 months after you take delivery of your car.

If you're like me and will probably never use a Supercharger (have my own L2 charger at home and a bunch at work), then I won't be upset if my referral code isn't applied to my order - which I gave my SA to add a few days after I had already created my order with him in the store.

Also remember that those 1000 free Supercharger miles will expire in 6 months after you take delivery of your car.

If you're like me and will probably never use a Supercharger (have my own L2 charger at home and a bunch at work), then I won't be upset if my referral code isn't applied to my order - which I gave my SA to add a few days after I had already created my order with him in the store.

referral expiration gets extended 6 months if you get another.