Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just received my new car without ultrasonic sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I found a late 2022 MYP with the USS. I would not want a 2023 without the sensors. We rented a 2023 M3 RWD this week without the sensors. Compared to the 2022 MYP that I drove for 16k miles, the information was not even close. It was fine for backing into a driveway or similar, but I have been to some tight Supercharging locations packed with cars where this would be challenging for me.

Tesla claims they will be coming out with something "soon" according to the two service centers I visited recently. It's been months and we know how Elon time works. If it does not come with the car at time of purchase, I'm not assuming anything about the future.

Reactions: Boza and enemji
I read this title as saying no safety belts, no airbags, no rear view mirrors etc.

Also, it’s likely that the vision only system will arrive via OTA. Not like a traditional car, where it never gets better - just a matter of time
It’s been over a half a year for Tesla “vision” to work. Any OTA updates? Factually speaking, it’s gotten worse not better over time.

Reactions: Mike7564 and Boza
It has been 3 month since I purchased Model 3, 2023 Long Range. I was dump enough to get Enhanced Autopilot.
So, my car does not have a lot of features because Tesla vision is not functioning properly.
I was complaining manytimes to the dealership, and every time they say it will take a few weeks.

The dealer told me the same. I ended up getting a Sept '22 MYP with 3k miles with the sensors that was first registered in November. After going back and forth, the sensors do make enough of a difference to me. I don't believe Tesla's promises.

There's always Hardware 4.0

Last edited:
All of these systems operate under Tesla vision only.
  • Lane Assist (Blind spot monitoring, in Tesla's interaction, relies on vision and not on the USS or rear facing radar like in other cars)
    • Lane departure avoidance
    • Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance
    • Automatic Blind spot Camera
  • Collision Avoidance Assist:
    • Forward Collision Warning
    • Automatic Emergency Braking
    • Multi-Collsion Braking
    • Obstacle-Aware Acceleration
Incorrect. I have a 2016 Model S and Model X with AP1 and they both have the following features:
  • Lane Departure Warning
  • Forward Collision Warning
  • Automatic Emergency Braking
  • Obstacle-Aware Acceleration
With 12 USS, 1 radar, and only 1 camera this system performs better in 95% of situations where Tesla Vision is trying to accomplish the same task as AP1. No phantom braking, diving to 45mph on interstates for no reason, late hard braking in normal traffic situations, or having to pay $10k to change lanes. Conversely, AP1 is dramatically a turd cresting hills, lanes that lose lines for longer than 30 yds, and can't do rain as well as AP2+. I returned my Model 3P for these reasons, and went back to a 2016 Model S AP1 until my Cybertruck arrives, hopefully with functioning Tesla Vision. I also have a 2017 Model X with FSD and I hate it. Will miss the free supercharging tho.

Cheers.

Reactions: electricar
Got the vision parking update today. It's not good. Car is off by up to 2 feet. No better than just looking and guessing.

Another casualty of the "delete everything to save a few bucks" mentality.
Same here, not impressed so far. I honestly would prefer to disable it, since it makes annoying chime noises and I can't even trust the distance estimates

• Informative
Reactions: bobbyjae
Status
Not open for further replies.