Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just sold my Model Y - Parting thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just sold my Model Y to Driveo. Great price BTW - 62,500 for a May Build 2021 Model Y with 20" wheels. It was a quick and smooth experience.

Since this was my first Tesla, I thought I'd share some thoughts on the car having owned it for almost 7 months.

Highs:
1) Powertrain. Power deliver was very impressive - especially given this was the LR and not the Performance model.
2) Phone Key. I love the phone key. It is so simple and I don't know why every OEM doesn't implement it in the same way. This is one of those things other companies over complicate.
3) Some other cool nuggets in software - I like the built-in streaming services, the ability to open and close garage door based on proximity, the simple and intuitive user profiles and the way you set them up.
4) Space. The Model Y is extremely well packaged with lots of interior space and lots of storage. It's really amazing.
5) Value. At the $52k price this car sold for new, it was untouchable in terms of value.
6) 5 standard heated seats and heated steering wheel. This was very impressive to me and is one of the things that makes Tesla appealing on the used market. You don't need to worry if it has this or doesn't have it depending on how it was specced.
7) Impressive resale value.

712B4324-9010-4DD8-B466-44CA82E37D10.jpeg

Lows:
1) Rigidity. The car did not feel very rigid. You could sense a the chassis flex every time you drive. It felt cheaply built compared with a German car. They went with style over engineering. I would prefer a more rigid car than an uninterrupted glass roof.
2) Rough suspension. The suspension on the Model Y is pretty poor. You feel everything. I know some will say it is because I got the 20" wheels. However a lot of cars have 20" wheels with low profile tires and don't have this issue. This is one area they should have done a better job.
3) Autopilot. I like the Autopilot, but I also hate it. I regularly found myself in situations where it would tell me auto steering is disabled for the rest of the drive. I've never experienced that with any other brand.
4) Extreme minimalism. No roof blind or blackout function. No instrument cluster. Cheap doorhandles. No ambient lighting. Lack of physical buttons and switches to an extreme.
5) Range falls short of EPA estimates.

Overall I would say I leave Tesla with a positive impression of the brand, but I also feel there are a few areas they badly need to address if they want to stay leaders in this segment. The lows I described above will be important to address as the competition catches up in other aspects.

I agree with pretty much everything you've said there. You've literally hit all my gripes. I still don't plan on getting rid of mine for another 5-10yrs, none the less. but that's just how u am with cars.

The range thing needs to have more fidelity. I don't think this is necessarily a Tesla issue, it's an industry issue. EVs are trying to match how ICE advertise range, however with EVs variables matter much more.

I would like to see a range chart with 2 lines.

x-axis = speed
y-axis = range

line 1 = spring (e.g. 70F, no A/C, best case)
line 2 = winter (e.g. 32 F, heat set to 70F, worst case)

if they made that a standard chart for EVs, performance would be much more transparent and comparable across makes/models
A chart like that will baffle 50% of the buying population, LOL. Chart-reading is an analytical skill that's seriously under-taught in middle schools. I can picture the average car buyers tilting their heads 90 degrees trying to figure out the correct way of reading the graph.

And that's for 0-60 in 6 sec and 329 HP That's equivalent to a Toyota Camry.
Mine is an EQS580 and what I paid is about the same as 2 base MYPs. Racking up multiple MYPs is just clogging up a driveway. At the end of the day its a second rate car with fast acceleration

I also wouldn't take a Hellcat over a Ferrari 456. At the end of the day HP is not everything.

Not at all. Vampire drain, cold weather and highway speeds are nothing compared to the "next to nothing maintenance costs" (oil changes, time in the shop, linkages, carburetors, exhaust systems, radiators, transmission, belts and pulleys, differential, motor rebuilds, on and on.

Electric vehicles have cheaper fuel and maintenance costs. While EVs usually have higher upfront purchase prices, owners can save a lot on operating expenses. A 2020 Consumer Reports study found that EV owners, on average, spend 60% less on fuel compared to internal combustion engine vehicles.
Agreed and I am not arguing against EV's. My point is the margins are (much) smaller than claimed on website at purchase.

BTW, as an anecdote, my first service cost me $600 (more than I spent on my GTI for the prior 5 years) and the one I am having tomorrow to replace those brakes that "never need replacing" will cost be almost $1000 (estimate is $850, plus NY tax). I've done 44k miles and the brakes need replacing already - I've NEVER owned a car that needed replacement brakes that quickly (the ones on the Tesla rotted, they didn't wear out). So my total service charge within 3.5 years is gong to be close to $1,500. If I had a Toyota (or VW, Kia, Ford) I'd still be in the free service under warranty period.

Again... I'm on the EV train, but the cost savings are grossly over-stated.

Reactions: Daekwan and xls_
Agreed and I am not arguing against EV's. My point is the margins are (much) smaller than claimed on website at purchase.

BTW, as an anecdote, my first service cost me $600 (more than I spent on my GTI for the prior 5 years) and the one I am having tomorrow to replace those brakes that "never need replacing" will cost be almost $1000 (estimate is $850, plus NY tax). I've done 44k miles and the brakes need replacing already - I've NEVER owned a car that needed replacement brakes that quickly (the ones on the Tesla rotted, they didn't wear out). So my total service charge within 3.5 years is gong to be close to $1,500. If I had a Toyota (or VW, Kia, Ford) I'd still be in the free service under warranty period.

Wow. Bad Juju.
Anecdote: I am at 115,000 miles on my 2014 S on original brakes. "I don't stop for Nuffin!". Regen does most of my braking work.
I guess your point might be YOUR cost savings are grossly overstated.

Reactions: mangrove79
Horror? Seriously? To each his own, no "horror" here. I know my speed at all times w/o looking, and am glad to be rid of useless gauges, lights, buttons. Isn't that the whole point? ALL cars are computer controlled, gauges are mostly buffered idiot lights,

As for chassis rigidity, I have zero squeaks, groans, rattles, after 21k miles. I feel/hear no indication of serious chassis flex.

Enjoy your next ride.
Same thoughts exactly. Rigidity? Seriously? You definitely don't know what you're talking about. Tesla definitely isn't for you. I hope you're happy with your next vehicle.

A chart like that will baffle 50% of the buying population, LOL. Chart-reading is an analytical skill that's seriously under-taught in middle schools. I can picture the average car buyers tilting their heads 90 degrees trying to figure out the correct way of reading the graph.
then you show the graph and a number which represents the average for those that don't know how to read it.

basically a dot half way between the range at 65mph for spring and winter

Reactions: mangrove79
Wow. Bad Juju.
Anecdote: I am at 115,000 miles on my 2014 S on original brakes. "I don't stop for Nuffin!". Regen does most of my braking work.
I guess your point might be YOUR cost savings are grossly overstated.
We were talking about responses like this earlier in the thread.

Reactions: Daekwan

I totally agree maintenance is greatly overstated. Modern cars actually require very little maintenance. I do my own stuff at home and will do the same with the tesla.

I plan on doing my annual brake service myself which is way more involved than the annual oil change I do on my Prius. I don't mind lubing the calipers, etc... it's fun for me. But it IS maintenance.

Also, 129lb ft of torque for wheels? jeez

On VAG Vs Tesla... well if you'd owned my 2018 P3D with all the delights of CV_FRONT errors, 12v failures, charging plug failure and most recently a brake failure (but but but they last forever because of regen) and put that against the anecdotal experience of over 300k miles of driving in my life, almost exclusively in VW's and never once had a breakdown, you might think differently. But none of them were EV's, 'tis true m'laud.

My wife's VW Jetta (circa 2001) nearly killed here when the brakes malfunctioned (failed to kick in) at a stop sign and nearly rolled her out in the middle of a 55 mph highway. Every automaker has some issues and people's experience will all vary.

Just sayin'

Are you saying Tesla refused to cover rotten (not worn) brakes under their 4 year 50,000 mile warranty? If so then I would say that is a pretty low integrity warranty. Generally brakes would be covered unless it is wear and tear. If they say they don't cover rot, then they are saying their brakes tend to rot and this is normal.

Don't worry, I still have my sense of humor and of course we shall see what it's like, but an EV Camper Trip is what I've waited my whole life for! Old hippy is about right.

On VAG Vs Tesla... well if you'd owned my 2018 P3D with all the delights of CV_FRONT errors, 12v failures, charging plug failure and most recently a brake failure (but but but they last forever because of regen) and put that against the anecdotal experience of over 300k miles of driving in my life, almost exclusively in VW's and never once had a breakdown, you might think differently. But none of them were EV's, 'tis true m'laud.

Objectively I think a Model Y is better in most (important) respects than an ID4 and if a complete stranger asked me, I'd tell them to get a Tesla. But the heart wants what the heart wants, and Teslas are not prefect, despite what you might think if you only got your news from Teslerati.

Also after 25 years of frequenting VW message boards (and Porsche forums) I never experienced the level of mockery and toxicity you see here. It's really unfortunate.

My wife and I just finished our first EV camping trip in the MYP. Everything worked great, EXPED mattress was comfortable, camp mode worked great to keep us comfy. The only thing we lacked was a "hatch tent". I thought about getting one and my wife kept saying "why spend the money on that, we don't really need it do we?"... after our trip she is a convert to the idea of having the hatch tent :)

Keith

Doesn't Tesla recommend yearly cleaning and lubrication of the brakes caliper and slide pins if you live in an area that uses salt on the roads in winter? It is too late for your current set of brakes, but I suggest you do so from now on to avoid this issue at 80,000 miles :)

Are you saying Tesla refused to cover rotten (not worn) brakes under their 4 year 50,000 mile warranty? If so then I would say that is a pretty low integrity warranty. Generally brakes would be covered unless it is wear and tear. If they say they don't cover rot, then they are saying their brakes tend to rot and this is normal.

IF they recommend yearly service (not 100% sure they do) and he didn't get it done this would void the "rot" warranty on the brakes.

Keith

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteWi

Tesla told me that I needed brake replacement 18 months ago, but I did couple of procedures like for brakes bead-in, and that cleared out rust/rotting in. I did this just a couple months ago and passed safety certification afterwards.
This for 5 years old Model S with only 30K miles (47KKm), sitting outside in Toronto winters... You may want to try it before the service.

Tesla cars certainly have flaws and disadvantages. While I love my car, I don't love certain features. Most of which were already listed.

- Cheap build material.
- Can't take it through a normal car wash.
- No garage door opener on a 'technology' car - LOLOLOLOL
- No AC seats? Even a $30k gas car has AC seats.
- Horrible service center operations.
- Parts are too expensive. Rear glass is $900 just for the glass. Regular car it's $200-300
- Insurance coverage is 3x as much as a normal car.
- UI shouldn't be updated by force.
- Rims are cheap plastic that pop off (cheap build material).
- No spare tire.
- Interior lights barely exit. What is there barely lights up anything at night.

Even with that list it's the best and most convenient car I've had in 30 years. Drives very smooth and having a fully charged 300 mile car each morning is excellent. Also, no oil change...air filters...sales reps selling you nonsense...less need to change brakes/tires. Pros still outweigh cons.

Tesla cars certainly have flaws and disadvantages. While I love my car, I don't love certain features. Most of which were already listed.

- Cheap build material.
- Can't take it through a normal car wash.
- No garage door opener on a 'technology' car - LOLOLOLOL
- No AC seats? Even a $30k gas car has AC seats.
- Horrible service center operations.
- Parts are too expensive. Rear glass is $900 just for the glass. Regular car it's $200-300
- Insurance coverage is 3x as much as a normal car.
- UI shouldn't be updated by force.
- Rims are cheap plastic that pop off (cheap build material).
- No spare tire.
- Interior lights barely exit. What is there barely lights up anything at night.

Even with that list it's the best and most convenient car I've had in 30 years. Drives very smooth and having a fully charged 300 mile car each morning is excellent. Also, no oil change...air filters...sales reps selling you nonsense...less need to change brakes/tires. Pros still outweigh cons.
Interesting. Maybe "Tesla cars" should be changed to Model Y Tesla cars? Some are purely subjective, and many do not apply to the MS or MX. As for insurance, I pay less with Tesla insurance than my son pays for his older Infinity - under $100 per month for full coverage with 100/300/100 for a car that cost $96K out the door is pretty good... I have liked the UI updates (Even 11) but that is subjective. I have had zero service issues because nothing has ever needed service in three years and 50K miles, although the 50k service was a little pricey. Rims? no plastic anywhere on mine. I have been hauling my dog (pictured to the left) in the back seat for almost three years and the rear cleans up like new. Never had a single part of the interior break or malfunction - I was sure when I got the car that the rear cupholders would break immediately, but no. I control three different garage openers with the car and love that I can use the app to do this. No issues with interior lights. I have used "regular' car washes regularly. Spare tire thing is correct and a little concerning.

I agree with your last paragraph.