Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just Spoke to Tesla...Reservation date means NOTHING!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here’s my advice to the OP:

Don’t cancel, don’t fret about your place in line, don’t listen to the Tesla reps, don’t get on these forums too often, and just wait for the car. I reserved day one and ordered first production. And waited nearly ten weeks to take delivery. Delivery wasn’t a great experience either. Now I’m a month into owning the car and it is fantastic! You will love this car. No one has built an EV like this and it will be some time before they do. So sit back and distract yourself and even discount the delivery process. Just take the car home and put on that Tesla smile. You will get that smile, I guarantee it,

Yes, what you said. It has always looked to me like Tesla owners and employees have the priority, and reservation dates played a role until they opened the process for anyone to configure. Then it becomes a delivery system of supply and demand- what is coming off the line and where the inventory is headed. I would have loved to see a nod for stockholders and solar array owners, but honestly, I'm content to check my status every day and hope I get bumped up from the Sept/Nov anticipated delivery date. Basically when you make the $2500 deposit, you are asking for Tesla to build a car to your specifications (along with 400,000 other people), so a wait should be expected. Compound that with production issues and an unprecedented demand and here we are. I haven't heard of anyone cutting the line, just adjustments made by Tesla due to supply and demand. Complaining about the process doesn't necessarily make someone a nightmare customer.

They aren't LOSING money, they are spending it to develop their production lines and factories and all that. Not the same thing as losing money. And because of this, they are giving preference to the high profit orders.

Aren't they losing money if they are spending money building production lines and factories to produce cars that are just sitting and piling up in parking lots because no one is buying them?

Here is the text in the footer of my "non-refundable" version -
Motor Vehicle Order Agreement (v. 20180412 en_US)
Mine, with the refundable language, is v.20180612en_US
Interesting....mine is: Motor Vehicle Order Agreement (v. 20180412 en_US) as well and
Not sure how you got to 'Reserve' so early but maybe you were able to go "Back to Future/Past" and somehow know back in 0001 that you should reserve a Telsa! I'm impressed! I guess you have been waiting a really long time...;)
If you have been following some of the 'postings' from a month or so back you will know that many people ahead of you that ordered the LR option waited a very very long time and in many cases the wait was not fair...delivery was ok... but the car is freaking amazing!! I reserved on day one, invited 4/18, ordered 4/22, received June delay email on 5/20 and received NO communication from Tesla until July 6th and received my Vin on July 12th and the car on July 15th (85 long days of waiting) and i'm not too far from the Factory. I did get frustrated watching people, like yourself, who ordered on 6/27 and get their Vin the next day or the car well before i got mine but there was nothing i could do. I think Tesla could improve their communication 1000% but they are in crazy mode and i'm not sure that's going to happen anytime soon. I support the company and their vision and I believe that they will get better. (sip of kool-aid) I did share my frustration on the forum with other 4/18 invites who were also waiting and a few of them got theirs well over 90 days of waiting! I pinch myself every time i walk into the garage to take a peak... or drive to work. :p So from someone who reserved day one, ordered in April and waited 85 days for my car ...Cheers! I hope you can enjoy your car when it arrives and put the rest behind you!
Buying a Tesla is like giving birth....the process can be painful but after the bundle of joy is in your possession you forget all about the pain!
Thanks. I too support the company but they are so very inconsistent...some can refund some cannot. Forked over money (as you did) 2 years ago and now it appears that means nothing. My account shows a ridiculous date for deposit which has me concerned (as an engineer who works with lots of software development activities) that whatever "algorithm" they are using to decide who's next when it tries to process 1/1/0001 will implode (I've seen it before)....and Tesla does not seem interested in correcting the obvious error.

Aren't they losing money if they are spending money building production lines and factories to produce cars that are just sitting and piling up in parking lots because no one is buying them?
No one is buying them? At this point everything being built is spoken for, and they'd be able to find an alternate to buy if anyway. Thus their "take delivery within 10 days or we sell it to someone else" rule.

This seems unfair, but on the other hand, I placed my reservations of 4/2/16 and my order deposit on 6/27/18 and both of these dates (upped by one day in each case, for some reason) are still showing on my current order page... Still haveonly a Reservation number and no VIN, too!

tesla_payments_asof_080118.jpg

Buying a Tesla is like giving birth....the process can be painful but after the bundle of joy is in your possession you forget all about the pain!
Likewise mind you keep your wits about you if you're within arm's reach. Those of us in the midst of 27 months of labour, because ongoing pain degrades attitude and judgement, are liable to grab you as we thrash about. :p

• Funny
Reactions: MissyMcBee
This seems unfair, but on the other hand, I placed my reservations of 4/2/16 and my order deposit on 6/27/18 and both of these dates (upped by one day in each case, for some reason) are still showing on my current order page... Still haveonly a Reservation number and no VIN, too!

View attachment 322141
Mine is weird too. It says that I reserved on 4/1 and Deposit on 6/28, but my MVPA placeholder says I ordered on 6/27. It is amazing that the guy who started one of the first online banks has a company that can't figure out dates or simple math.

Incorrect, according to the order agreement. Again, up until a VIN is assigned, entire deposit amount is refundable.

Where are you seeing this exactly?? I was told that I had exactly three days to cancel my order and receive a full refund. After those 3 days my down payment would be forfeit if I cancelled the order. Same situation with my Model S, but I think it was 5 days. Below is the verbiage in my agreement, where does yours differ??

Order; Nonrefundable Order Payment; Changes. Once you submit your completed order, we will locate a vehicle to match your Vehicle Configuration and coordinate the shipment of the Vehicle for delivery. Your Order Payment covers the cost of these activities and other processing costs and is nonrefundable; it is not a deposit for the Vehicle. Any changes to your Vehicle Configuration, delivery location or expected delivery time after the Order Date will be difficult, if not impossible, for us to accommodate. If you want to make changes to your order, we will try to accommodate your request. If we accept your request, you will be subject to a non-refundable $500 change fee and potential price increases for any pricing adjustments made since your original Order Date. Any changes made by you to your Vehicle Configuration, including changes to the delivery location or estimated delivery date, will be reflected in a subsequent Vehicle Configuration that will form part of this Agreement.

Cancellation; Default: We incur significant costs in managing your order, and locating and coordinating delivery logistics for your Vehicle. We may also incur significant costs for remarketing and reselling the Vehicle, including additional coordination, logistics and transport costs. If you cancel or default in this Agreement, you will not be refunded your Order Payment as it has already been earned by us in taking and processing your order. You acknowledge that the Order Payment amount is a fair and reasonable estimate of the actual damages that we have incurred or may incur as a result of your breach of this Agreement, damages that are otherwise impracticable or extremely difficult to determine. When you take delivery of the vehicle we will provide a credit to the final purchase price of your Vehicle equivalent to the amount of the Order Payment you paid. This Order Payment and this Agreement are not made or entered into in
anticipation of or pending any conditional sale contract.

I think it is a date payment cleared thing. My $2500 is recorded as 7/1/18, but I purchased on evening the night before.
Could also be that their order system is using GMT by default (which is fairly common). I reserved at ~10am on 3/31 and ordered at 8:30pm EST on 5/23, and my dates show as 3/31 and 5/24, which is when those events would have happened in UTC.