Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just test drove a highland in Los Angeles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of thoughts.
The door thunk, sound insulation and softer ride quality are amazing improvements. I was mentally expecting good improvements but was still impressed. It's like a civic to a Toyota Avalon. Almost felt like magic. BUT there is a considerable loss of steering feel and response. The car is very capable but felt like a high tech appliance to me. Lacking character. I think it will be a home run for 90% of buyers who just want a city commuter. But for sporty buyers I would say buy used. I'm still waiting to try the highland performance which I'm sure will be the goat. For comparison I'd say a stock 2018 3 performance supension is a 1 for harshness. Adding tein shocks makes it a 6-7. Highland on 18" wheels a 10.

The loss of the turning stalks is a huge mistake. Buyers maybe can get used to it but the driving experience is terrible. It's hard to signal. It's hard to activate autopilot. The buttons don't have a good easy feeling. If I worked at Tesla design I would be firing people. Sexy buttons can help fix all these issues though.

The new interior feels generic like I'm inside an IKEA. Not for me but others seem ok with it. The new steering wheel feels opposite of sporty or cool. The new MCU is very snappy. Shifting on the screen is fine. Again I miss the stalks. The cooled seats are very nice vs not having the feature but the cooling effect isn't as strong as other cars I've tried like the model S. But the overall package of the car is just incredible. It's fast. Smooth. Quiet. Ok looking. Autopilot. What a car! That being said I would choose a used 3 performance anyday and travel the world with the money saved.View attachment 1010798View attachment 1010799
2023 Model S LR owner here. For the first month and a half I HATED the loss of turning stalks. Now, I'm glad that they're gone. It takes a while for your brain to remap something that you've been doing the same way for years and years, but once you do, you probably won't want to go back. Whenever I have a rental car I hate regular turn signal stalks.

Kids these days. I can't tell, is goat good or bad? I don't mean bad as bad ass (which is good), but bad as in horrible.
Sorry. Older people call Jordan and Chapelle goats so I thought it was common language. The current performance is the best car I've ever owned. It's hard to imagine it being better but it will be.

2023 Model S LR owner here. For the first month and a half I HATED the loss of turning stalks. Now, I'm glad that their gone. It takes a while for your brain to remap something that you've been doing the same way for years and years, but once you do, you probably won't want to go back. Whenever I have a rental car I hate regular turn signal stalks.
Hard to believe but you're probably right

2023 Model S LR owner here. For the first month and a half I HATED the loss of turning stalks. Now, I'm glad that they're gone. It takes a while for your brain to remap something that you've been doing the same way for years and years, but once you do, you probably won't want to go back. Whenever I have a rental car I hate regular turn signal stalks.

The problem I have with the stalkless wheel isn't about me. I'm sure I'd get used to it after a short while. The problem I have are the other people that drive the car on an infrequent basis. I'll be hearing complaints every time they drive it.

• Funny
Reactions: Adam3
I'm sure I'd get used to it after a short while. The problem I have are the other people that drive the car on an infrequent basis.
I hear the "get used to" phrase a lot. "Learn how to" is more correct. Just my pet peeve and I do understand what you're saying. I switch between a 2022 MSLR with a stalkless yoke and a 2015 Honda Crosstour (horn not in center). I learned how to use regen and gear shifting in just a minute in the Tesla parking lot. The turn signals took about a week to learn. The horn problem was learned and solved with a clear raised button for easy no eyes activation. Now, switching between cars is easy.

Thanks for your impressions—they are helpful if not a bit bipolar. Maybe I’m a little thrown off when you describe the improvements as magic in one sentence then liken it to Ikea and an appliance in the next. “Lacking character”, then “what a car!” 😂

I hear the "get used to" phrase a lot. "Learn how to" is more correct. Just my pet peeve and I do understand what you're saying. I switch between a 2022 MSLR with a stalkless yoke and a 2015 Honda Crosstour (horn not in center). I learned how to use regen and gear shifting in just a minute in the Tesla parking lot. The turn signals took about a week to learn. The horn problem was learned and solved with a clear raised button for easy no eyes activation. Now, switching between cars is easy.

I find "adapt to" to be more correcterer. The horn is in the center at least!

Thanks for your impressions—they are helpful if not a bit bipolar. Maybe I’m a little thrown off when you describe the improvements as magic in one sentence then liken it to Ikea and an appliance in the next. “Lacking character”, then “what a car!” 😂

I find "adapt to" to be more correcterer. The horn is in the center at least!
I understand your feelings. But that's the nature of car suspension. Trade offs. The car is now brilliant at absorbing bad roads but it has lost some responsiveness. Depending on how you're feeling at the time it can be a good or bad thing. I think most consumers would want the refined ride over sportiness and it'll be a huge success. Most drivers just want an appliance that works. Personally I like more feel and wonder if the performance trim will have it.

Last edited:
I've been driving a Polestar 2 for the last week and the only thing I really prefer with the Polestar over the 2021 Tesla Model 3 is the much quieter cabin. Does anyone have any insight on whether the 2024 M3H will be more in line with the Polestar when it comes to cabin noise?
I've driven both. Like Maki said they are comparable. Highland is quiet with the best of them like maybe even etron level.

The loss of the turning stalks is a huge mistake. Buyers maybe can get used to it but the driving experience is terrible. It's hard to signal. It's hard to activate autopilot. The buttons don't have a good easy feeling. If I worked at Tesla design I would be firing people. Sexy buttons can help fix all these issues though.
Hopefully the teased S3XY Stalks come to fruition soon and give people a seemless retrofit option to add the stalks back.

I don't foresee Tesla backtracking on stalkless unless/until Elon leaves the company. (🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞)