Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Karpathy will come back? Or gone for good?

I believe Karpathy Will actually return from sabatical

• Yes, he just needed 6 months at the beach.

Votes: 37 55.2%
  • No. He has had enough of Elon

Votes: 30 44.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While this doesn't guarantee the future it is his statement as of today.

1648433304577.png

Reactions: impastu and edseloh

View attachment 786861
Interesting.

In the companies I've worked I've seen people take sabbatical and leave the company also a few who came back.

Either way doesn't matter - I think people are just too hung up on a few personalities. I remember SP tanking when Deepak announced he would leave, and people very jittery when JB left too. Tesla has done better under Zack and not bad at all under Drew.

There is plenty of talent to go around and Tesla is always in the top 5 when it comes to attracting talent.

Karpathy on vacation = Dojo is working

from the interview with Karpathy last year:

“What Tesla wants to do and is trying to do is to automate as much of that stuff as possible. That's where Project Dojocomes in, jokingly referred to as Operation Vacation because if it gets working, they can almost go on vacation and the system would make itself much better over time."

Doug Field resigned from Tesla while on sabbatical
Vast majority of people in the companies I've worked in resigned during or just after sabbatical. They usually go to other companies at higher positions.

But one of my managers came back after the sabbatical and is still there.

The fact is - anyone in Tesla who has been around for a few years probably has more than enough money to retire. So, its no longer a question of paying bills but what do you really enjoy doing and what kind of work/life balance are you happy with.

I hope Karpathy hasn't had an early burn-out.

ps : It is not uncommon for a company to suggest people to go on sabbatical instead of resigning, hoping they would come back. Hopefully that is not what happened here.

Whether he comes back from sabbatical or nor depends on the wording in his contract. There's no point in speculating about it. He probably also has some type of no-compete clause, so his short term options may be limited. My experience with sabbaticals is limited to universities and it's pretty rare for a tenured professor to do anything but return. Tesla is heavy into R&D (and in my view closer in style to a university than it is to most large corporations) so I imagine that Karpathy's sabbatical will probably consist of a combination of a speaking engagements and extended academic visits.

Reactions: impastu
Whether he comes back from sabbatical or nor depends on the wording in his contract. There's no point in speculating about it. He probably also has some type of no-compete clause, so his short term options may be limited. My experience with sabbaticals is limited to universities and it's pretty rare for a tenured professor to do anything but return. Tesla is heavy into R&D (and in my view closer in style to a university than it is to most large corporations) so I imagine that Karpathy's sabbatical will probably consist of a combination of a speaking engagements and extended academic visits.
I thought non-compete clauses were meaningless in Cali.

I think he's coming back.

The reason for this isn't that he's always onboard with Musk, but that the power of being able to deploy technology to so many vehicles is irresistible.

I do plan on doing some research into sabbaticals as it relates to high tech employees. Over the last few years I've started to really see them as a tool to keep the employees functioning at a high level, and reducing attrition. But, there probably isn't a whole lot of data on it as its traditionally only in academia.

If a person pays for their own sabbatical then its really just a leave of absence. It requires a level of financial security where the odds of them coming back are going to be lower.

I plan on going on my own sabbatical within the next 5 years or so. I've worked for the same company for 25+ years already, and I think after 30 years I deserve at least 6 months. :)

Whether he comes back from sabbatical or nor depends on the wording in his contract. There's no point in speculating about it.
Most companies have a standard sabbatical policy. Though, a high profile employee might get some special treatment.
He probably also has some type of no-compete clause, so his short term options may be limited.
Non-compete is completely meaningless in CA.

According to the California Business and Professions Code Section 16600, “every contract by which anyone is restrained from engaging in a lawful profession, trade, or business of any kind is to that extent void.”

My experience with sabbaticals is limited to universities and it's pretty rare for a tenured professor to do anything but return. Tesla is heavy into R&D (and in my view closer in style to a university than it is to most large corporations) so I imagine that Karpathy's sabbatical will probably consist of a combination of a speaking engagements and extended academic visits.
Absolutely no such thing in tech companies. I've contemplated sabbatical and have also been offered special sabbaticals by HR instead of leaving a company. I've until now decided against going on a sabbatical - instead taking month long vacation or just quitting instead. Tech companies do usually have limits on who can go on sabbatical (above certain grades) and how long (usually depends on service).

View attachment 786861
Whereas I would say that he'd follow the previous people who have gone on sabbatical and decided not to return, this tweet directly from him makes me think he genuinely wants to return.

The thing that drew him to Tesla was how widespread of a project AP/FSD was, when he says "robots" he's not referring to the Tesla bot, but this is the term he uses for the cars (which, I guess are effectively robots when they are autonomously roving about the roads of the world). If he hadn't made this tweet I'd think otherwise, but if the same thing that brought him in is drawing him back, I think we're relatively safe there.

I love questions there is no answer to:)
For all we know Karpathy doesn't know yet either.
That could very likely be true. Three possibilities:
1. Karpathy just chilling and will be back.
2. Karpathy is taking some time to think what he wants.
3. Karpathy is moving on but is doing it the 21st century way.

#3 is obviously bad, but so is #2, because it means he's no longer fully dedicated to the vision, which I read as he doesn't think his work will be able to live up to the hype and expectations built by Musk's "aspirational" statements. Like I've said all along, Karpathy leaving would be very bad, not because his skill set couldn't be replaced, but because either he no longer thinks Telsa can deliver truly autonomous driving or he thinks he's taken the project as far as he can. Either way, it means that FSD has probably reached the end of its progression (at least with the current hardware stack).

Let's all hope it's #1.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I said 3 (almost 4 now) years ago when I made the decision to buy FSD that I didn't trust Elon based on all his past predictions/promises failing to materialize, but as long as Karpathy continued to be on board, I had hope for a truly L3 system in my Tesla one day.

Now I am worried!

I wouldn't have hope for an L3 system.

But, with Karpathy on board there is the excitement of interesting things.

Now I'm not saying working things, but interesting things. He doesn't have any god like powers to make things work all the time, but he is savvy enough for lots of interesting detection/classification stuff.

I don't think he's going anywhere because I think he fits well. If he didn't like Tesla he would have left awhile ago. Plus Tesla is not just automotive, but they have the bot project as well. So there is a lot of opportunity there.

The weird thing about this convo is I'm usually the negative one. The "oh, it looks like Putin is going to drop a bomb on us" kind of glass is half full kind of person.

But, I'd bet a small amount of money on Karpathy coming back with new ideas.

Like I've said all along, Karpathy leaving would be very bad, not because his skill set couldn't be replaced, but because either he no longer thinks Telsa can deliver truly autonomous driving or he thinks he's taken the project as far as he can.
Or because he is burnt out. 5 years in the grueling environment must be very very hard on anyone ….

I don’t think I’d last more than a couple of years in such a high pressure job where you also have to put in 60 hours a week … weak after week.

Reactions: dbldwn02
Or because he is burnt out. 5 years in the grueling environment must be very very hard on anyone ….
Sabbatical? Yes. But Karpathy wouldn't leave unless he thought Tesla had lost it's position as the leader in autonomous/AI driving, IMO. And seeing that this sentiment lines up with what I believe the ultimate end result of Tesla FSD will be, I am inclined to believe Karpathy won't be coming back.

Prove me wrong, Andrej - prove me wrong!

• Funny
Reactions: dbldwn02