Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Karpathy will come back? Or gone for good?

I believe Karpathy Will actually return from sabatical

• Yes, he just needed 6 months at the beach.

Votes: 37 55.2%
  • No. He has had enough of Elon

Votes: 30 44.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sabbatical? Yes. But Karpathy wouldn't leave unless he thought Tesla had lost it's position as the leader in autonomous/AI driving, IMO. And seeing that this sentiment lines up with what I believe the ultimate end result of Tesla FSD will be, I am inclined to believe Karpathy won't be coming back.

Prove me wrong, Andrej - prove me wrong!
And you know that how ?

When people start equating their speculation to fact, they have a hidden agenda.

Sabbatical? Yes. But Karpathy wouldn't leave unless he thought Tesla had lost it's position as the leader in autonomous/AI driving, IMO. And seeing that this sentiment lines up with what I believe the ultimate end result of Tesla FSD will be, I am inclined to believe Karpathy won't be coming back.

Prove me wrong, Andrej - prove me wrong!

Usually we have to wait years for anyone to be proven wrong here.

You'll be proven wrong in 4 months.

Tesla is far ahead of the competition in this area. In this space Tesla is the place where the most innovation is happening IMO. My speculation would be that it is burnout or that he no longer agrees with the approach for achieving the end goal. It sounds like he will be back so maybe he has some personal things going on.

It could also be that Tesla is delaying until they can figure out how to announce or replace him. In the end there have been high profile departures before and things turned out fine. I’m not overly worried about this sabbatical.

No organization would or should put all their eggs in one basket. They always have contingency plans. At worst this departure would be a setback which would require time for them to readjust.

Last edited:
He was proven right in less than 4.

I dusted myself off, and I quickly turned around and made another bet on something we'll see the results of in under 4 months.

This time on 10.13 failing to pass Chucks unprotected left with a 95% or greater success rate.

Humans are unpredictable, but FSD Beta is predictably unpredictable. So I like my odds this time, but I really did think the Karp was coming back. Tesla made him a god of sorts.