Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Keep the Tesla app running for the best phonekey experience"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never leave the app running on iPhone. Always close it and it works perfectly. Presents door handles. Notifies me when interior is too hot etc. This new persistent message is a PIA. I don’t have an option to turn off the message. So I close the banner after I close the app every time.
Only way to turn it off is to get rid of all Tesla banner notifications.
I hate it.
There's an easy solution for this. Don't force close the app. It will actually save you time -- you don't need to force close the app OR be bothered by the banner.

What does that even mean?

You're just too emotional about it. I'm curious about what "closing" the app means to you; do you mean swiping up (newer phones) - same as the old home button? Or do you mean going into the history list and dismissing it there? Nobody I know even does the latter - there's really no realistic reason to do that, so you should use that valuable hate for something more worthwhile!
No real hate. Just annoying. Previously I could close the app, which is how enjoy my computer and iPhone, and I have it set To run in the background which allows complete functionality.
Obviously the Tesla app developers seem unaware of this functionality.
So no hate. Just an annoying PIA. We all have our quirks. I dont Like thumbing through 20 open apps merely to keep Tesla happy. It is not the way I enjoy using My phone.

Tesla app caused 11% of my battery drain since last charge. I keep it open in the background (but it still won't unlock most of the time, need to toggle bluetooth on the phone as I walk up to it).

Last fall, just having background refresh on was enough to unlock the car every time, worked great (but still killed my battery).

I used to charge ever other day, since I got the Tesla, I only make it to about 4pm before I have to charge.

iPhone 11.

Tesla app caused 11% of my battery drain since last charge. I keep it open in the background (but it still won't unlock most of the time, need to toggle bluetooth on the phone as I walk up to it).

Last fall, just having background refresh on was enough to unlock the car every time, worked great (but still killed my battery).

I used to charge ever other day, since I got the Tesla, I only make it to about 4pm before I have to charge.

iPhone 11.
What’s your phone battery state of health? If <85%, you’ll notice a significant change in usability. By 80%, it’s time for a new battery.

As for phone key not allowing the door to open, I’ve noticed that Tesla seems to have changed the proximity requirement for the car to unlock. If I have my phone in my pocket that’s farthest from the car, it won’t open. If I turn so the phone is closer to the car, it opens. My husband was griping about this, tried getting the phone closer to the car, and no longer has problems. He has an iPhone 11 Pro.

What’s your phone battery state of health? If <85%, you’ll notice a significant change in usability. By 80%, it’s time for a new battery.

As for phone key not allowing the door to open, I’ve noticed that Tesla seems to have changed the proximity requirement for the car to unlock. If I have my phone in my pocket that’s farthest from the car, it won’t open. If I turn so the phone is closer to the car, it opens. My husband was griping about this, tried getting the phone closer to the car, and no longer has problems. He has an iPhone 11 Pro.
88%

I'll try the suggestions.

Anyone else getting this message when they close their Tesla app? Every single time I close the app a banner appears that says

Keep the Tesla app running for the best phone key experience

Stays on the screen like a push notification and shows up every time I close the app.
You can disable notifications entirely for the tesla app or change the app’s setting to not include the notification as a banner style notification.

When I close the Tesla App on my iPhone I always get a drop-down alert to leave the App running for the "best phone key experience". What is this about? I certainly don't want to leave it running. It makes my phone warm, sometimes quite warm, and has high battery usage. Otherwise, the App works fine. Is my situation common?

When I close the Tesla App on my iPhone I always get a drop-down alert to leave the App running for the "best phone key experience". What is this about? I certainly don't want to leave it running. It makes my phone warm, sometimes quite warm, and has high battery usage. Otherwise, the App works fine. Is my situation common?
We’ve discussed all of these things in this very thread. Try giving it a read.

Reactions: cwanja and Yelobird
To be honest I wish my phone key would completely disconnect from the car if the app was not in the background. That way I can prevent the Model X doors from auto presenting at home - a feature Tesla should easily add. I would have no problem starting the app before a drive from home , walk to my car and have it autopresent that specific time, have it autopresent at all my destinations, and then after I return home I’d swipe it closed to prevent the doors from auto presenting every time I take out the trash to the garage with my phone in my pocket. So for now I need to disable autopresent entirely because I think, like others said, that it will still work even if not running in background . But I’m going to test this more to see if in fact my use case scenario could work theoretically. Because if it would work as stated above, this would be a work around feature to me.

While I’m venting, on Model X you can disable auto present yet still open driver door from app to autopresent that way. This is handy if you want to avoid fingerprints with autopresent off. But it would be nice to have an iOS widget to do that on the Home Screen. I don’t think you can autopresent the door via the API either so third party apps can’t do it. So add the API command please so when I actually want my door to autopresent I can just ask Siri via my watch.

Sorry. Got off topic there. It just sucks that you can auto fold mirrors by “remember location” but the option to not autopresent by “remember location” is missing.

Last edited:
We’ve discussed all of these things in this very thread. Try giving it a read.

The person you quoted created a new thread with that question. I moved it here to this thread because, as you say, its discussed here. I mention this because they didnt originally post their question in this thread, so I am not sure if they read it.

The Tesla app doesn't keep my iPhone warm. It's more normal that a low cellular signal keeps an iPhone warm because the phone ramps up broadcast power trying to find a signal and stay connected. I'm sure there can be other reasons an iPhone stays abnormally warm. I'm not a Facebook user but use to hear about how aggressive that app was with a battery.

I'd suggest checking Settings / Battery and then scroll down to "battery usage by app" and see which apps are using the most battery charge. Just now, on my iPhone, the top three are FaceTime 24%, Podcasts 17%, News 10%. All the rest are below 10% with the Tesla app registering 1%.

Reactions: Big Earl
The Tesla app doesn't keep my iPhone warm. It's more normal that a low cellular signal keeps an iPhone warm because the phone ramps up broadcast power trying to find a signal and stay connected. I'm sure there can be other reasons an iPhone stays abnormally warm. I'm not a Facebook user but use to hear about how aggressive that app was with a battery.

I'd suggest checking Settings / Battery and then scroll down to "battery usage by app" and see which apps are using the most battery charge. Just now, on my iPhone, the top three are FaceTime 24%, Podcasts 17%, News 10%. All the rest are below 10% with the Tesla app registering 1%.
In my case Battery usage for Tesla App is 69% for the last 24 hours and 59% for the last ten days. Nothing else is above 16%. And, this is with me closing the Tesla App whenever the car is not in use.

@FAS3 The app is notifying the user that for the best phone key experience, keep the app running in the background. It is not a warning. It is just a notification. That is it, full stop. Tesla does not believe the app must be left running, but it wants you to know that phone key is not available. There is no mystery here.

I think the notifications utility is that if your intention was not to exit the app (i.e., quit and not just put it in the background), you now know that the phone key feature will not be available to you. If you, the user, have no need for the features offered by the app, then by all means quit rather than dismiss to background.

In my case Battery usage for Tesla App is 69% for the last 24 hours and 59% for the last ten days. Nothing else is above 16%. And, this is with me closing the Tesla App whenever the car is not in use.

Geez. I guess it was keeping your iPhone warm! Two suggestions:

I firmly believe that iPhone's benefit from an occasional restart. Maybe twice a month? At least once a month. If it's been a long time since you powered the phone off, and then back on, I'd try that.

Secondly, delete the Tesla app and then re-install it. You'll have to log in again with your Tesla credentials.

Geez. I guess it was keeping your iPhone warm! Two suggestions:

I firmly believe that iPhone's benefit from an occasional restart. Maybe twice a month? At least once a month. If it's been a long time since you powered the phone off, and then back on, I'd try that.

Secondly, delete the Tesla app and then re-install it. You'll have to log in again with your Tesla credentials.
Actually, I always swipe away all apps and power down the phone unless it is in use. When not in use it is on charge. But, the battery is old and should probably be replaced.

Deleting and reinstalling the Tesla App is good idea. Thanks.

You can check to see if its really the Tesla app using power on your iPhone. Go to Settings > Battery and scroll down to see where the Tesla app ranks for power consumption. I leave my Tesla app running all the time and its at 1% power usage, which is 12th in the list (below Siri, FaceTime, Messages and Mail, and only one above Clock!). So, for me at least, the app isnt using any appreciable power (and there is no reasons it should, since all it needs to do is handle the BTLE unlock functions and occasionally call home to Tesla for things like software update checks).

Actually, I always swipe away all apps and power down the phone unless it is in use. When not in use it is on charge. But, the battery is old and should probably be replaced.

According to Apple's most recent advice, the only reason to force-close an app is when it is misbehaving. The OS is very efficient now, for power and RAM, and opening an app after force-closing it uses more power and takes longer than just leaving the app in memory.

I get why you're doing it, for a long time I did it frequently too. Something about it is kind of satisfying?

Here is what Apple recommends:

Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 7.24.37 AM.png

You can check to see if its really the Tesla app using power on your iPhone. Go to Settings > Battery and scroll down to see where the Tesla app ranks for power consumption. I leave my Tesla app running all the time and its at 1% power usage, which is 12th in the list (below Siri, FaceTime, Messages and Mail, and only one above Clock!). So, for me at least, the app isnt using any appreciable power (and there is no reasons it should, since all it needs to do is handle the BTLE unlock functions and occasionally call home to Tesla for things like software update checks).
As noted previously, my phone shows the Tesla App at 69% power usage.

As noted previously, my phone shows the Tesla App at 69% power usage.
The percentage show in the power usage list is a percent of the power used, I believe. Not a percentage of the actual battery used. For instance if I have 20 or so apps I check and use throughout the day, and use maybe 40% of the battery to do that, that 40% is divided amongst those 20 apps to show their relative percentage of the battery used.

Over the last ten days the Tesla app has used 5% of the battery, over the last day it’s used 9% - effectively the percentage will depend on how much you use your phone while on battery and how many apps you use. If you’re force quitting all your apps that would normally be in the background, it makes sense that the Tesla app may show a higher percentage of usage if you do leave it in the background.

Reactions: drtimhill