Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keeping it in Plaid mode all the time... any issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully not a dumb question... will be a first time Tesla owner and was wondering about this.

I've read some posts where battery life might suffer vs leaving it in Chill or Sport mode... but I think that could depend if I had a lead foot or not.

I think I would probably leave it in Plaid mode all the time... but was curious if it makes maneuvering in a parking lot any more difficult... is it difficult to move 'slowly'? Or is it better off throwing it into Chill mode when doing that? It seems like a lot of button tapping to switch around the modes (no hotkeys??).

Hopefully not a dumb question... will be a first time Tesla owner and was wondering about this.

I've read some posts where battery life might suffer vs leaving it in Chill or Sport mode... but I think that could depend if I had a lead foot or not.

I think I would probably leave it in Plaid mode all the time... but was curious if it makes maneuvering in a parking lot any more difficult... is it difficult to move 'slowly'? Or is it better off throwing it into Chill mode when doing that? It seems like a lot of button tapping to switch around the modes (no hotkeys??).
Super easy to modulate the throttle in any mode. I leave it in Plaid unless I’m doing demos. Then I pretend that Chill is how the car runs at all time before shocking a passenger. 🤣

I've never taken my car out of Insane mode in 5 years. And never plan to. No negative effects.

There's a TON of FUD around Tesla's vehicles, usually perpetrated on Facebook by people who have never owned or driven one.

The only rule for battery life is - if you charge it to 100% every day, your battery life will suffer more over time (as you experience with your laptop and phone). Other than that, You'll be fine, enjoy the drive.

I've never taken my car out of Insane mode in 5 years. And never plan to. No negative effects.

There's a TON of FUD around Tesla's vehicles, usually perpetrated on Facebook by people who have never owned or driven one.

The only rule for battery life is - if you charge it to 100% every day, your battery life will suffer more over time (as you experience with your laptop and phone). Other than that, You'll be fine, enjoy the drive.
Exactly.

I've had my Plaid for 5 days...had a Model 3P before, always kept that car in chill mode for daily driving as it felt jumpy and high-strung in sport. In the Plaid, I notice zero difference in low-speed driving between chill and plaid modes. WIll likely just keep it in plaid all the time so that when I want to detach my retinas I can.

Reactions: DBMPlaid
Normally, when the battery is not only charging faster (the supercharge) but also when discharging (which is also faster in Plaid), it gets lower mileage in time. That being said, I also love the Plaid mode and not sure that over a few years we can see any difference... The problem sometimes is that I forgot it's in Plaid and when I start it it's mostly rocket mode :)