Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone gone from a 911 to a Plaid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering if anyone has replaced their 911 with a Plaid, or own both currently. I'd love to hear your perspectives.

I've searched, and also found some helpful threads on rennlist - however, a lot of these threads were before the track mode update.

I previously dismissed the plaid due to concerns about the yoke and brakes. However, with the additional track mode regen for braking and steering wheel now available, along with the torque vectoring, my interest has again been piqued.

I don't push my 911 (991.2 GTS) enough to fully appreciate or require its handling, imho. In the canyons, I drive leisurely, maybe going 4/10th at the very most. I don't track it either. From a practicality standpoint... well, my daily driver is a Subaru Outback. I'd be replacing both with the plaid. During my test drive of the Model S LR (no plaids available to test drive), I found the comfort, tech, and instant torque to be extremely appealing. I didn't mind the fit and finish - it was good enough. Currently, the one thing making me hesitate is the tesla vision and parking assist capability, or lack thereof.

Just curious if anyone had some thoughts or similar experiences?

Also, any insight on how handling with track mode is in the canyons?

Thanks for your time.

The 911 is significantly lighter than the Plaid. Like, 1,500 lbs lighter. You're going to feel that weight quite a bit in the corners.

The Plaid is a good compromise car. As in, it's a great daily driver - has faaaar more technology than a 991.2, and you can still track it and have an insane amount of fun. But it won't be as precise or as visceral as a 911, especially if you have PDK.

I can't speak for Tesla 'vision' as my P90D has all the good sensors they've since removed, but standard AutoPilot still works very well, and coming from no assists on the 991.2, it's a very nice thing to have for daily driving.

I guess what it comes down to is....If you want a corner carver that lets you feel connected to the road, keep the 911. If you want a really nice, big daily driver that you can still drive aggressively in the canyons, at a slightly more conservative speed in the corners, swap to a Plaid.

Reactions: Sixth and bhzmark
Not exactly your situation - but I have always had a daily and an enthusiast driver's car. These days its a MS Raven Performance (the Plaid is on order for the UK), and a growing performance stable - McLaren spider for the weekend, Ariel Atom for the track, AM v12 Vantage because its a manual NA V12!

When I first got into Tesla performance models, I thought they would replace the ICE cars, but I found the acceleration novelty passed pretty quickly and I was left with an excellent commuter, but not one I would look forward to driving for the sake of it in the weekend, or that felt special enough. Not sure iof finally getting the RHD Plaid will change that.

If your budget allows - have both.

Reactions: Drew-MS
I'd keep the 911 and outback.
The Plaid accelerates very fast from any speed which is addictive and fun, and the factory stereo is excellent, otherwise it's a POS!! Tons of issues and dealing with Tesla service is generally awful. My 2022 Plaid has 6k miles and has been in the service dept 8 times since last May. It's going in again for a new issue "Gearbox fluid service recommended" warning light just came on along with a burning smell. Gotta love it. Its not just me, as there are countless complaints on this forum.

They are two totally different beasts. You wear the 911. The 911 has twice as nice interior. Love them both though.

IMG_5909.jpeg

They are two totally different beasts. You wear the 911. The 911 has twice as nice interior. Love them both though.

View attachment 931708
I’ve a similar pair, 2015 (991.1) GTS bought CPO early 2018 and a MS LR delivered in April 2022. The Porsche is a cab, a manual transmission and quite viseral with amazing sounds, smells, handling, and steering feel. However even my long range is much quicker (up to 100 or more), and more relaxing on long drives. It is however somewhat “numb”. The steering wheel retrofit was also a must for me.

I plan on keeping the P-Car forever, but since last April, the Tesla gets the most use, and is always used on longer trips.

Hope that helps!

The Plaid accelerates very fast from any speed which is addictive and fun, and the factory stereo is excellent, otherwise it's a POS!! Tons of issues and dealing with Tesla service is generally awful. My 2022 Plaid has 6k miles and has been in the service dept 8 times since last May. It's going in again for a new issue "Gearbox fluid service recommended" warning light just came on along with a burning smell. Gotta love it. Its not just me, as there are countless complaints on this forum.
Mine is on service call #4 in 7 months. Actually waiting on mobile to show up now to fix a blown speaker.

I guess what it comes down to is....If you want a corner carver that lets you feel connected to the road, keep the 911. If you want a really nice, big daily driver that you can still drive aggressively in the canyons, at a slightly more conservative speed in the corners, swap to a Plaid.
Thank you for the response - I think I like the notion of having a canyon carver, more than actually doing the aggressive driving... I think I need to rent a plaid to see how I enjoy it in the canyons.
I don’t see why you would need or want track mode for the canyons given how you drive now.

Regular old “normal” plaid mode will be more than sufficient.

Really fair point.

I was just under the impression that the handling/suspension felt substantially different from normal mode based on a recent thread here - is that not true?

If so, then maybe the model s LR might work for me... really wanted the plaid for the track mode "handling". Don't necessarily need the acceleration.

Not exactly your situation - but I have always had a daily and an enthusiast driver's car. These days its a MS Raven Performance (the Plaid is on order for the UK), and a growing performance stable - McLaren spider for the weekend, Ariel Atom for the track, AM v12 Vantage because its a manual NA V12!

When I first got into Tesla performance models, I thought they would replace the ICE cars, but I found the acceleration novelty passed pretty quickly and I was left with an excellent commuter, but not one I would look forward to driving for the sake of it in the weekend, or that felt special enough. Not sure iof finally getting the RHD Plaid will change that.

If your budget allows - have both.

That's a truly impressive garage - don't think it can get more fun than that. Definitely appreciate your perspective.

I think most of the responses here have a common end point... probably should have both the 911 and plaid.

Have you had any issues with your car? Just asking based off the subsequent responses in this thread.

This is actually... very concerning, both the terrible service and issues. Sorry to hear you've had to deal with that.

I have to read a bit more into this and see how my risk tolerance takes it. Thanks for the heads up... now just a bunch more threads to dig through.

Sweet garage - is that ultra red? Looks unreal. It's either that color vs white for me.

I’ve a similar pair, 2015 (991.1) GTS bought CPO early 2018 and a MS LR delivered in April 2022. The Porsche is a cab, a manual transmission and quite viseral with amazing sounds, smells, handling, and steering feel. However even my long range is much quicker (up to 100 or more), and more relaxing on long drives. It is however somewhat “numb”. The steering wheel retrofit was also a must for me.

I plan on keeping the P-Car forever, but since last April, the Tesla gets the most use, and is always used on longer trips.

Hope that helps!

Thank you - I think the plan now is to keep the 911. But yes, the dream is a nice road trip car... the plaid seems perfect for that.

Mine is on service call #4 in 7 months. Actually waiting on mobile to show up now to fix a blown speaker.

.... that's a lot of service calls in 7 months. How has tesla service been for you? Good enough for a 120k car?

A 911. Interesting. I never heard of it until now. Nice looking car, but I think I would have given it a different designation. :)
Haha

.... that's a lot of service calls in 7 months. How has tesla service been for you? Good enough for a 120k car?

It's all been for small things, so not a massive ordeal, just more of an annoyance taking it in and dropping it off. But it definitely has been more often than any other car I've owned.

As hard as I am on cars, the fact that no mechanical issues have happened after 25k miles, is pretty good.

For those who like older 911's, consider a M3. The 2019 SR+ on 19 inch tires is the lightest Tesla sold (other than the roadster) and compares well to the 1980's and early 1990's 911's. Some even came with performance rear motors which can be modded for 50+ easy HP.

+ Same sort of rearward weight bias and ability to drive on the throttle
+ Light over the front, quick turn in and then the regen makes the front outer bite and the rear rotate; much like an old 911
+ Tons more torque than any early 911, nearly as much as a 930 even when the boost finally comes on 309 v. 319 stock
+ Same low cowl height
+ Air conditioner works
+ Clutch doesn't blow up
+ Airbox doesn't blow up if the engine backfires
+ No oil leaks. Rear main seal isn't something you know is coming eventually
+ Sound system is good and doesn't eject tapes into the rear seats :)
- Less steering feel but better than most cars & not awful
- Not an investment
- heavier
- Paint and interior (at least on my 2019) is 1970's exotic car (they were mostly terrible) not up to the standard of a pickup truck nowadays

Tesla service quick & easy. Porsche dealer would have not come to my driveway to give me a 12V battery 200 miles before the warranty expired (that's for sure).

Oh, and the thing is free to run, except for tires.

Very different genre, but I’m sure it happens a lot like in the scenario you described. I’ve read about 911 owners who were disappointed in the Taycan for its size, weight, and lack of a fun soundtrack.

I’d also consider a Taycan Cross Turismo, and maybe the BMW i4. BMW has been really impressive in the EV space.

Just want to update everyone what I ended up going with. Really appreciate everyone chiming in.

I ordered the Plaid this afternoon - ultra red (my first red car!), arachnid wheels, white interior, steering wheel. Thought about doing the FSD lump sum, but will go with the FSD subscription instead. I will see how the brakes are, likely upgrading the brake pads at a minimum.

Keeping the 911.

Selling the outback once I take delivery.

Having an electrician come by this week to install the home charging in my garage.

Hoping to get it soon... they actually had one in the exact configuration I wanted last week, but it was gone when I checked this afternoon.

It's all been for small things, so not a massive ordeal, just more of an annoyance taking it in and dropping it off. But it definitely has been more often than any other car I've owned.

As hard as I am on cars, the fact that no mechanical issues have happened after 25k miles, is pretty good.
Good to know, I'll take that over mechanical issues.
For those who like older 911's, consider a M3. The 2019 SR+ on 19 inch tires is the lightest Tesla sold (other than the roadster) and compares well to the 1980's and early 1990's 911's. Some even came with performance rear motors which can be modded for 50+ easy HP.

+ Same sort of rearward weight bias and ability to drive on the throttle
+ Light over the front, quick turn in and then the regen makes the front outer bite and the rear rotate; much like an old 911
+ Tons more torque than any early 911, nearly as much as a 930 even when the boost finally comes on 309 v. 319 stock
+ Same low cowl height
+ Air conditioner works
+ Clutch doesn't blow up
+ Airbox doesn't blow up if the engine backfires
+ No oil leaks. Rear main seal isn't something you know is coming eventually
+ Sound system is good and doesn't eject tapes into the rear seats :)
- Less steering feel but better than most cars & not awful
- Not an investment
- heavier
- Paint and interior (at least on my 2019) is 1970's exotic car (they were mostly terrible) not up to the standard of a pickup truck nowadays

Tesla service quick & easy. Porsche dealer would have not come to my driveway to give me a 12V battery 200 miles before the warranty expired (that's for sure).

Oh, and the thing is free to run, except for tires.
Thanks for the helpful list of observations. The M3P was a consideration, just need the extra space of the Model S and I love a good hatchback.
Very different genre, but I’m sure it happens a lot like in the scenario you described. I’ve read about 911 owners who were disappointed in the Taycan for its size, weight, and lack of a fun soundtrack.

I’d also consider a Taycan Cross Turismo, and maybe the BMW i4. BMW has been really impressive in the EV space.
The i4 does look fantastic - just wish it had the established tesla supercharger network.

From what the OP states, he probably would prefer driving the PLAID +90% of the time and rarely use the 911.

Since everyone is different, OP could get a PLAID and see which of the other two he rarely drives. Sell that one.

Then see again if he is driving the PLAID more or the remaining one, and sell that as well.

The driving experience of driving an electric PLAID is so different that driving a 911 or Subaru that his preference will be apparent quickly.

I kept my Mercedes AMG when I got my first Model X. Soon found out I was never choosing to drive the Merc. Sold it and never looked back.

I'm wondering if anyone has replaced their 911 with a Plaid, or own both currently. I'd love to hear your perspectives.

I've searched, and also found some helpful threads on rennlist - however, a lot of these threads were before the track mode update.

I previously dismissed the plaid due to concerns about the yoke and brakes. However, with the additional track mode regen for braking and steering wheel now available, along with the torque vectoring, my interest has again been piqued.

I don't push my 911 (991.2 GTS) enough to fully appreciate or require its handling, imho. In the canyons, I drive leisurely, maybe going 4/10th at the very most. I don't track it either. From a practicality standpoint... well, my daily driver is a Subaru Outback. I'd be replacing both with the plaid. During my test drive of the Model S LR (no plaids available to test drive), I found the comfort, tech, and instant torque to be extremely appealing. I didn't mind the fit and finish - it was good enough. Currently, the one thing making me hesitate is the tesla vision and parking assist capability, or lack thereof.

Just curious if anyone had some thoughts or similar experiences?

Also, any insight on how handling with track mode is in the canyons?

Thanks for your time.
I have a 991 GT3 and an X, does that count? : )
I've driven the S and I've tracked a 3.
The 911 is a helluva a different kettle of fish.
(I've also tracked and PCA time trialed in a 964 RS, 993 turbo S, 996 GT3, 997.1 GT3, 997.2 GT3 RS amongst other built track jalopies … not my first rodeo, not meaning some feeble "flex" after all this is TMC, not rennlist, it's just a bunch of numbers that Porsche people recognize. : )
4/10ths in a GTS is still a speeding ticket and still on the edge of "socially unacceptably" quick.
But let's assume 4/10ths means "less than 7 mph over the posted limit and situational awareness".

If I were to replace a Subi and a 911 with an S, I'd go with the LR. I don't see the point in the Plaid. Also, the S is an impressive EV for money. Huge range, far more 0-60 than can be used reasonably on public roads, proven design and these days, yes, initial build quality is generally decent.

They'll get all the parking assist stuff working, but I'd want HW4 if I bought an S/X in '23. It's speculation as to whether or not Tesla would retro support any of the radar/uss tech. I assume Tesla will acquiesce to radar and maybe even lidar (and excuse the decision as "due to regulator demands, we're implementing radar, lidar and USS in HW5 … anyone with an FSD license will be offered a 100% purchase price refund, there will be no retrofits.") I don't see how Tesla escapes the class action liability of selling FSD for so many years with just "mere failure to realize a long-term, aspirational goal is not fraud." Tesla must have paid millions for those lawyerly words that any high schooler could concoct to explain using chatGPT to write their final paper … : )

Back to comparing 911 to Tesla, the funny thing is you can go faster in a 3 or an S (or an X for that matter) but it's so uneventful, so quiet and unobtrusive that the Tesla goes unnoticed whereas the Porsche (or Ferrari, etc.) are so ostentatiously loud and eye-catching, they "look like" they're going faster.

Reminds me of an ad years ago where a new sports car (Nissan Z?) is parked on a quiet suburban street and an old guy is walking by and stops to look at the car and angrily yells out "slow down!"
I'd say the 991.2 GTS is probably an in-demand vehicle and should sell for a decent number. Try bringatrailer, carsandbids, rennlist for enthusiast buyers.
I'd say the Plaid is … ho hum … just too much for the street and not enough for the track … it's an in-betweener … unless you want to modify it for track driving (apparently not) then it's an answer to a question that's not really asked for anyone who doesn't want the "I've got the fastest one" self-image (that nobody else can see or cares to see.) Compared to most 911s, a Model 3 Long Range is already an impressively quick vehicle (just don't try to go around a turn too quickly or use the brakes on track, etc.)
Personally, I'm keen to update our X but Tesla Vision leaves me cold. There's HW4, there's whatever comes next. Tesla is in flux.
Also Tesla is shifting to "Superchargers for profit" so they're trying to "sunset" lifetime free SC programs.
What I see in Tesla's first 3 months of '23 and all of '22 is a shift to "sell a lot of razors, make a lot on selling razor blades."
So I've been asking Tesla (no, I don't expect them to listen to me) to allow me to transfer my "lifetime free Supercharging" and paid FSD license to a new Model X. No change in long term revenue from them, just the incremental revenue of me updating the hardware. Of course they've had many such requests, so they're offering the six-year free SC deal. I see that as their first concession in the negotiation. Tesla has been steadily dropping prices and there's no reason to suppose they'll stop. They want more vehicles at more Superchargers. The exception being, they want to "end of life" all the free Supercharging licenses. Me, I see myself with the "old" X in the garage for a decade or more, not just the next six years. It's well sorted, it's in great condition, it's indistinguishable from the '23 and it has FSD and free SC, so it costs "nothing" (except exorbitant insurance premiums.)

Reactions: Mayer and bhzmark
From what the OP states, he probably would prefer driving the PLAID +90% of the time and rarely use the 911.

Since everyone is different, OP could get a PLAID and see which of the other two he rarely drives. Sell that one.

Then see again if he is driving the PLAID more or the remaining one, and sell that as well.

The driving experience of driving an electric PLAID is so different that driving a 911 or Subaru that his preference will be apparent quickly.

I kept my Mercedes AMG when I got my first Model X. Soon found out I was never choosing to drive the Merc. Sold it and never looked back.
I think those who have cars for the weekend and special occasions know - it’s not always about how often you drive them, but about knowing they’re there ready for you in the garage any time.

Reactions: electricar