Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kerbed Alloy Wheels - Touch-Up Paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve no personal experience of rim protectors, but I’ve read of instances where they’ve come part unstuck at speed, and the rotating rim protector has damaged the car bodywork.

Because of this, for the first time ever in 42 years of motoring, I’ve taken out alloy insurance!

Any alloy insurance recommendations? Had a quick look and found these guys:

Alloy Wheel Insurance for all types & size alloy wheel | Tidyalloys.com

My lease company would probably charge me a fortune so insurance may be much more cost effective providing any repairs are acceptable to the lease company.

Moderator comment - Thread merged and renamed from "Kerbed 20" Alloy Wheel - Touch-Up Paint Match?"

For the first time in like 20 years, I've only gone and scuffed one of my Model 3 Performance Gray 20" alloys. So I need to touch it in, but unsure on paint matches! Searching around a few people point to Tesla Sonic Carbon Alloy Wheel Touch-Up (NEU-106E) but I think this is for Model S Turbine wheels, which look lighter. Also others recommend PMNG NEU-112E (Steel Grey / Midnight Silver), but I know for a fact that Midnight Silver Metallic (colour of my car) is completely different to the colour of my dark grey/black wheels.

Can anybody please help?

Last edited by a moderator:
For the first time in like 20 years, I've only gone and scuffed one of my Model 3 Performance Gray 20" alloys. So I need to touch it in, but unsure on paint matches! Searching around a few people point to Tesla Sonic Carbon Alloy Wheel Touch-Up (NEU-106E) but I think this is for Model S Turbine wheels, which look lighter. Also others recommend PMNG NEU-112E (Steel Grey / Midnight Silver), but I know for a fact that Midnight Silver Metallic (colour of my car) is completely different to the colour of my dark grey/black wheels.

Can anybody please help?

^^^ what he said... asking for a friend.

Unfortunately (and touch wood I'm pre-empting needing to search hard for myself) I've never found anyone saying anything definitive about the wheel colour. Tesla apparently don't offer a touchup kit for it, nor - it seems - will they tell anyone what the actual paint code is.

People have tried different colours from different manufacturers, with limited success. You can Google model 3 performance alloy touch up site:teslamotorsclub.com - Google Search and get various threads with different results.

The only sure fire way is to refurb it to a close colour and hope you don't have too big an OCD about it.

Reactions: mrkwats
Thanks, I’m going to try a simple touch up, nothing to lose really. 1st option to try (and ordered) is below. (It’s apparently a great match for the aero alloys - slightly lighter shade - so not perfect for the slightly darker gunmetal 20s, but may well do). Keep reminding myself first world problem, so not expecting perfection.

Paint For Ford Dark Shadow Gray Cx Touch Up Brush Scratch Chip Repair https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014L9B3WE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_rCAnFbW7CA4HN

Will keep you posted.

Thanks, I’m going to try a simple touch up, nothing to lose really. 1st option to try (and ordered) is below. (It’s apparently a great match for the aero alloys - slightly lighter shade - so not perfect for the slightly darker gunmetal 20s, but may well do). Keep reminding myself first world problem, so not expecting perfection.

Paint For Ford Dark Shadow Gray Cx Touch Up Brush Scratch Chip Repair https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014L9B3WE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_rCAnFbW7CA4HN

Will keep you posted.

I got this and it is absolutely perfect for the Aeros. Unfortunately it has had a bit more usage than I wanted/expected!

Ok, so job done, which is not a perfect match, and I will continue to sort out a better colour match. But happy for now and nowhere near as unsightly. I applied rust protector/sealant 1st then few coats of etch primer (yellow) then the paint itself. With 1500 grade wet n dry throughout to smooth over.

The Ford Dark Shadow Gray Cx touchup was far too light, but I stumbled across an existing touch up I had off my previous car (2017 VW Golf GTD Carbon Steel Grey Metallic) which turned out to be the closest match (although a little dark). I may even try and mix the 2 pens!

870BFB9A-78D9-4A93-AD57-DA79498CF87F.jpeg
13FEA7D1-E860-4A17-869D-97D217FC9135.jpeg
8BBCE0CF-6D98-4F8B-BE59-FEBAB881D3FF.jpeg
ADF1C0F9-EDBC-49FB-8DD3-1DFBBE6389B5.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Durzel and MrBadger
I have a small touch-up tube of Land Rover Stornaway Grey which I used for the highly irritating rash I managed to inflict in the first week of ownership.
It isn't perfect but on the other hand, no one has pointed to the wheel making comments.
In France?
In the land of bumper cars, where car bumpers are used as such?
The only person in France that going to point it out that sort of thing is a car rental agent when you return your car.

• Funny
Reactions: Sparkeur
Ok, so job done, which is not a perfect match, and I will continue to sort out a better colour match. But happy for now and nowhere near as unsightly. I applied rust protector/sealant 1st then few coats of etch primer (yellow) then the paint itself. With 1500 grade wet n dry throughout to smooth over.

The Ford Dark Shadow Gray Cx touchup was far too light, but I stumbled across an existing touch up I had off my previous car (2017 VW Golf GTD Carbon Steel Grey Metallic) which turned out to be the closest match (although a little dark). I may even try and mix the 2 pens!

View attachment 578927
View attachment 578928
View attachment 578929
View attachment 578930

That looks quite deep but good job on a nice repair - a blind man would be please to see that colour difference as my dad always use to say. A bit of brake dust and I bet even you won't notice them.

Did you use the primer to build the profile back up? Why did you feel the need for rust protector/sealant? I've never repaired alloy wheels before so not sure how it differs from steel rims.

Did you use the primer to build the profile back up? Why did you feel the need for rust protector/sealant? I've never repaired alloy wheels before so not sure how it differs from steel rims.

The touch up usually goes on just fine without primer on alloy scrapes. The Ford stuff that matches the Aeros can be applied sufficiently thickly that it covers up a multitude of sins ... put on a good bit more than you would on bodywork and don't over brush, just let it find its own level.

That looks quite deep but good job on a nice repair - a blind man would be please to see that colour difference as my dad always use to say. A bit of brake dust and I bet even you won't notice them.

I used a general rust protect touch-up pen (you can get these on Amazon and eBay) just as an initial precaution to seal the alloy. (Maybe I didn't need to, but had some lying around and didn't want to risk any grime/road salt getting in later on...) The main application was Etch Primer to build-up the layers and get a level finish. I applied probs 5 layers of this, each time smoothing down with fine grade wet n dry paper, it dries v quickly. Then of course the paint/topcoat.

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
I used a general rust protect touch-up pen (you can get these on Amazon and eBay) just as an initial precaution to seal the alloy. (Maybe I didn't need to, but had some lying around and didn't want to risk any grime/road salt getting in later on...) The main application was Etch Primer to build-up the layers and get a level finish. I applied probs 5 layers of this, each time smoothing down with fine grade wet n dry paper, it dries v quickly. Then of course the paint/topcoat.

"proper job"! ... you can do mine next time ;)

Info for all you former IC motorheads, I'm working to fix a little curb rash (I didn't do it) on my 2020 Model 3P with the 20" Grey performance wheels but looking for a pro match. Since I was unable to find the paint code, I had the wheels scan by a colortronic 2 spectrophotometer. It came up with an 85% match for BASF glasurit 55 line BMW B39. But the match was 95% for the 90 line. I think BASF is a supplier for Tesla on their R-M line paint products. I'm going to shoot the 90 line and see how it looks.