Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kerbside pole-mounted chargers are now a thing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its behind a paywall. What are the reasons given by Council?
Here you go

In a paper to be presented at the City of Port Phillip’s council meeting on Wednesday, officers recommend the project be stopped because more than 90 per cent of residents are not eligible to participate as they are in apartments, renting or in properties in flood overlay areas.

The officers said an independent review of the trial had found it was using up too much council time and resources, involved the use of public space on an ad hoc basis and could affect the council’s insurance.

Instead, they backed the “continued exploration and installation” of public pole-mounted charging for electric vehicles, which is the system used in cities including London, Oslo and Amsterdam.

• Informative
Reactions: RichardV
Call me cynical....

"Properties in flood overlay areas" - now how did these properties get the approval to build in these areas in the first place. And how would charging be affected in a flooding? Building codes exist for electrical installations in flood prone areas. I don't think EVs will be looking to charge on a kerb that is underwater.

"Too much council time and resources" - suggests to me the problem lie with Council bureaucracy. It would be very easy to pre-designate specific kerbs for kerbside charger installation which also completely negates the flooding issue. Something via something like Charge gully is easy to install. Of course the liability issue can be easily mitigated by insurance - taken out by the owner of the charging service.

Its possible these days for homeowners to monetise their AC wall connectors and in some cases like inner city Sydney, terrace houses are close to the kerb allowing for "electrification" of kerbside parking. My idea is a something similar like QR code at the front fence with a socket nearby, then Charge Gully.

Of course commercial EVSE providers are in an ideal position to exploit this untapped potential, but they appear to be moving at a snails pace.

Reactions: dronus and Jules22
In a paper to be presented at the City of Port Phillip’s council meeting on Wednesday, officers recommend the project be stopped because more than 90 per cent of residents are not eligible to participate as they are in apartments, renting or in properties in flood overlay areas.

So, can we get rid of the assistance for vision impaired people because > 90% of residents are not "eligible". Maybe get rid of handicap parking spaces too, dog parks because 100% of human residents (who are the ratepayers) aren't eligible, etc?

So, can we get rid of the assistance for vision impaired people because > 90% of residents are not "eligible". Maybe get rid of handicap parking spaces too, dog parks because 100% of human residents (who are the ratepayers) aren't eligible, etc?
Goes to show how out of touch many of the council feathernesters are.

Yes some of the rationale for killing this off is the most risible and farcical “reasoning” I have read in a long time.

Reactions: Jules22
Being permitted to run a cable across the footpath using a trip-protection cover (cost less than $100!)
Anyone doing this make sure to get a good quality cover.
Image 2.jpeg
a fully loaded Post EDV can be 500KG

Yeah, this kind of pushback just helps illustrate that for all the trappings of democracy, most local councils are actually run by the unelected chief executive / general manager. The councillors are mostly just a figleaf.
This program looked pretty silly to me. The resident paid $6,000 to have it installed, had to ask other neighbours in the street politely to move their cars to use it, and it seems intended to be virtually a one-user thing. We need the mass lampost sort of stations that every large city in Europe has (or is) putting in. On the one hand first movers bear a lot of cost up front, but the payback in virtual monopoly once EVs hit critical mass (? 4 to 5 years away ? ) will pay off big time, either in profit from usage or selling out like IT startups do. You have to think that electricity network companies are best placed to do this for suburban streets, not councils, who would best direct their efforts to local shopping centres, libraries, child care centres and gyms etc.

Reactions: BlueStreak2020
First time in 4 and a half months that the street pole charger has had space next to it today.
These points need the road painted for EV charging.
Also they’re painfully slow. 11kwh isn’t ideal unless you’re able to leave it there for 3-4 hours.

First time in 4 and a half months that the street pole charger has had space next to it today.
These points need the road painted for EV charging.
Also they’re painfully slow. 11kwh isn’t ideal unless you’re able to leave it there for 3-4 hours.
I'm guessing these aren't EVX units in City of Sydney? I thought most of them had the road painted and correct 'no parking, except while charging' signage

I'm guessing these aren't EVX units in City of Sydney? I thought most of them had the road painted and correct 'no parking, except while charging' signage
This is an Exploren installation. Installed as a trial by the council on existing poles in the neighbourhood.
I can’t charge at home in my apartment (strata horseshit) so I have to rely on public chargers.

This is an Exploren installation. Installed as a trial by the council on existing poles in the neighbourhood.
I can’t charge at home in my apartment (strata horseshit) so I have to rely on public chargers.
Definitely give feedback to Council (and Exploren) - after all, if people can't plug in and charge, no revenue for Exploren (and the site owner....?) - so it's in everyone's interest to ensure it's signposted / painted correctly and parking restrictions are enforced.

councils, who would best direct their efforts to
Kerbside rubbish collection, local roads maintenance.

payback in virtual monopoly once EVs hit critical mass
I'm not sure if that will be the case. There are likely more kerbs than there is capital for a mass buildout by one provider. Also each charging unit has a fixed lifespan. Install too early and you depreciate the sink capital without a return.

Likely also the ACCc will get involved if it smells a monopoly developing

Yes, they’re intended for long dwell times. Some people use the EVX sites to charge overnight.

They are intended to be low-cost installations so that theoretically more of them can be installed, and being only 11 kW, without triggering network upgrades.

Are these the ones in the Eastern Suburbs? My understanding is it was a deliberate decision by Council to not mark the spaces as EV Charging spaces… presumably because the “nervous Nellies” didn’t want resident blowback over those “entitled/rich” EV owners getting “free” dedicated “parking spaces”.

Reactions: FilthyCyberRat