Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kerbside pole-mounted chargers are now a thing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
0:44 - hope that's not a real credit card he's using :D

Well it looks like an ANZ card of some kind, held upside down and back to front with the CVV obscured 😄

This video confirms you can reserve a port, which is interesting since any reservation system will reduce throughput hence economic return. So I wonder how they have implemented it? Do you pay a fee to reserve it? Can you reserve it for only, say 10 minutes, and if you don’t get there in time the reservation is cleared?

Also how does tap-and-go work, since at the start of a session EVX will have no idea how much the session will cost, so do they hold a dollar amount against your card until you tap off? Do you still need to set up an EVX account to use tap-and-go?

So many questions 🤣

Also how does tap-and-go work, since at the start of a session EVX will have no idea how much the session will cost, so do they hold a dollar amount against your card until you tap off?

That's how 'pay at the pump' systems work at petrol stations.
A bit of a hassle sometimes as it can be a few days before the 'hold' charge is refunded to your card...

Also how does tap-and-go work, since at the start of a session EVX will have no idea how much the session will cost, so do they hold a dollar amount against your card until you tap off? Do you still need to set up an EVX account to use tap-and-go?

So many questions 🤣
Yes, it would likely be a preauth to check the card is valid (eg, $1 like tapping at an Opal or go card reader, or a larger preauth amount - like the crazy EO chargers in North Sydney that do a $45 preauth every time...) when you first tap.

I tried this charger out today, and my Type 2 - Type 2 cable for the first time, and it was all pretty seamless and worked flawlessly. According to the Ts&Cs of the App, you need to create an account in order to charge, which would imply you can’t just rock up as Mr. Anonymous and wave a credit card at it. The App requires you to attach a payment method to your account. I forgot to attach an RFID card to my account so I didn’t try that.

Also I cannot see any mechanism in the App to “reserve” a port, even though EVX on the Ch.10 News report said it was possible. The App only allowed me to start or stop a charge once the port was selected using the QR code.

When I rocked up one spot was ICEd but there was a person in the car. After I parked and started to plug in, they looked pretty sheepish and started their car and drove away. The charging itself was fine, it took a couple of minutes to ramp up to 11 kW (according to the App it maxed out at 11.8 kW) which is 72 km/hr charging on Model 3. The charging rate was steady until I terminated it after 41 minutes. When I got back to the car an old bloke was checking it and the charger out.

0C29FD50-D0C9-49ED-9D8F-EEC8DEB17D65.jpeg

I am the second person to check-in at this charger on Plugshare. When I occasionally opened the App during the week, I never saw either of the ports being in use. The charger is outside an aged care facility with a child minding centre across the road, the nearest houses are a few minutes walk away. So it will be interesting to see how often this gets used by people who live in the area, have EVs, and don’t have off-street parking.

There are a growing number of EVs living on the street around my and adjoining suburbs. The bloke across the road from me is getting a Model Y this month and he doesn’t have offstreet parking. I can’t say I‘ve seen many if any EVs living on the street in Glebe (not that I go there that often), so I wonder why they chose this location for their first deployment.

Anyway, it was fun to try this out, the first of what might be an increasingly common sight in the inner suburbs of Sydney.

Albeit the person who parks there first.. just needs to spend 5min trying to plugin and then the reservation times out.

Having hit an occupied Jolt charger today (I was in the area and handy checked) would be better if the app said Occupied for XX minutes, rather than just Occupied.

EVX / Ausgrid are proposing 9 more sites in City of Sydney

Similar to the proof of concept at 75 St Johns Rd, Glebe, Ausgrid and its partner EVX will install, manage and maintain the charger and power pole, with the chargers operating under a user pays model. The locations of the proposed charging stations were selected based on the identified EV charging infrastructure gaps. The proposed sites are:

• 16 Kent Street, Millers Point
  • 12 Trinity Avenue, Dawes Point
  • 55 Pyrmont Street, Pyrmont
  • 8 Brown Street, Newtown
  • 15 Carillion Avenue, Camperdown
  • 3-19 Yurong Street, Darlinghurst
  • 501 Glebe Point Road, Glebe
  • 2 Huntley Street, Alexandria
  • 3 Morley Avenue, Rosebery
We're currently letterbox dropping this information to residents near these sites. If you have an opinion on them please let us know before 28 July.

• Love
Reactions: Vostok
Very weird list of suburbs - zero charging in the highest density parts of Cos - CBD, Potts Point and Zetland/ Green Square.

EVXs initial install at Glebe at $0.50/kWh is well above what I would call market or fair (even with their recent $0.39/kWh 8pm-8am offering).

As a Tesla owner Broadway is just around the corner and barely any extra for charging up to 10x quicker.

Very weird list of suburbs - zero charging in the highest density parts of Cos - CBD, Potts Point and Zetland/ Green Square.

Also suburbs near Glebe with high EV ownership and low offstreet parking - Ultimo, Forest Lodge, Annandale, Chippendale, etc.

As a Tesla owner Broadway is just around the corner and barely any extra for charging up to 10x quicker.

But Broadway car park is a bit of a zoo though… if EVX was closer to my house than Broadway, I’d use it on a regular basis, because if I’m at home and my car is on the street, I don’t really care how slow the charge is.

I wonder if this will come to Victoria? There are heaps of older, high density buildings that would benefit. Some newer apartments are being built with EV chargers in the underground carparks, which is cool, but I wonder if it's less effort to look at curbside charging instead of retrofitting older buildings.

Reactions: SPadival