Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob availability in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some people have got their friends in mainland China and Hong Kong to order them and then ship them over. I wish there was a similar service like they have in the US where they ship to a US address and it gets forwarded.

I am more interested in this. Unfortunately, it looks like they even stopped shipping it in China.

I got one from a mate in the US. Works perfectly fine. I still like it because I am old school.

A few reasons:

- When an occasional user borrows my car, they can just borrow the fob, easier than swiping key cards on the A-Pillar and putting the card on the console.
- Allows you to lock the car immediately after you get out of the car. Sure you can do this with your phone, but the fob is just quicker. Still just cannot understand why there isn't a lock button on the outside of the car like every other modern car in existence, but you know, Tesla always knows better. This could be the front edge of the handle.
- I carry a keys for multiple reasons, having a fob attached is not big deal at all.
- The fob is bluetooth and connects just like the phone, its not real proper auto tech like a modern cars remote that can passively unlock only the door you are next to. A general vicinity determines unlocking is okay, just like the phone.

Oh and you can get Fob Holders way cheaper on Amazon that Tesla.

I get why its optional, the phone generally works just fine, but its not the same as a fob.

I got one from a mate in the US. Works perfectly fine. I still like it because I am old school.

A few reasons:

- When an occasional user borrows my car, they can just borrow the fob, easier than swiping key cards on the A-Pillar and putting the card on the console.
- Allows you to lock the car immediately after you get out of the car. Sure you can do this with your phone, but the fob is just quicker. Still just cannot understand why there isn't a lock button on the outside of the car like every other modern car in existence, but you know, Tesla always knows better. This could be the front edge of the handle.
- I carry a keys for multiple reasons, having a fob attached is not big deal at all.
- The fob is bluetooth and connects just like the phone, its not real proper auto tech like a modern cars remote that can passively unlock only the door you are next to. A general vicinity determines unlocking is okay, just like the phone.

Oh and you can get Fob Holders way cheaper on Amazon that Tesla.

I get why its optional, the phone generally works just fine, but its not the same as a fob.
My thoughts exactly,

The fob is bluetooth and connects just like the phone, its not real proper auto tech like a modern cars remote that can passively unlock only the door you are next to. A general vicinity determines unlocking is okay, just like the phone.
If I read and understand this correctly, the fob does not then offer "positive button push" locking? As in, it works only on proximity like a phone?

I've been considering a fob too (being old school), because I often keep my phone in reasonably close proximity to the parking space for the vehicle, and don't want to have unintended unlocking. My plan was that I could use the fob to positively lock and unlock the car based on a button press rather than proximity.

Or have I misunderstood?

If I read and understand this correctly, the fob does not then offer "positive button push" locking? As in, it works only on proximity like a phone?

I've been considering a fob too (being old school), because I often keep my phone in reasonably close proximity to the parking space for the vehicle, and don't want to have unintended unlocking. My plan was that I could use the fob to positively lock and unlock the car based on a button press rather than proximity.

Or have I misunderstood?

No, you can still lock the car by pushing the button on the remote.

What I referring to is on most modern cars, you cannot, unlike a Tesla, passively open any door of the car by just being in the general vicinity of the car, on other cars you need to have the fob withing around 500mm of the particular door you are trying to unlock, its an obvious security feature.

Tesla just decides that if the fob (or phone) is with the general vicinity of the car, anyone at all can just pull a door handle to unlock it. Complete stupidity.

Look I am totally happy for the phone key to be a useful and cool option, just don't undo the security features of a traditional key fob.

Before I bought the Tesla I was thinking of getting the key fob. I don’t really mis having one because I no longer carry keys for anything. Not a wallet. The phone has replaced the whole lot. Except the Tesla key card, which I’ve dissolved into the constituent parts and stuck to the inside of the phone case just in case it’s needed.

Tesla just decides that if the fob (or phone) is with the general vicinity of the car, anyone at all can just pull a door handle to unlock it. Complete stupidity.

Before I took delivery of my car I was convinced I would want a fob and would have bought one had they been available at the time. After having my car for a few months I realised Tesla knew better than me what I wanted, just like Apple does 😄. But each to their own, etc.

What I did do is some tests, placing my phone at various distances from the car to see how far away it could be before I couldn’t unlock it. The distance was around 3 metres. Interestingly, beyond that the phone would show the Phone Key as still connected, but the car would not unlock. Move more than about 5 metres away, and the Phone Key is no longer connected.

What I do on holidays, if my car is parked very close to where my phone will be overnight inside the hotel/cabin/holiday house, and it shows the Phone Key is still connected, I turn Bluetooth off overnight so that no-one can open the car door when I’m asleep. Alternatively, one could turn on PIN to Drive. Or do both.

Reactions: PcS000