Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key fob availability?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Comes in a four-inch cube gift box and two CR2032 coincell batteries (1 to use, 1 spare) post free from Tesla.
The fob is really small and slippery - best get a 'silicon sock' to put it in and to provide a keyring slot.
Some, like this one also clearly indicate where the trigger buttons are located...
fob_cover.jpg

After 2 years and 1 month I got an onscreen warning message that my Fob battery was low - needless to say I couldn't find the spare CR2032 battery that came with the Fob's gift box but did have another spare. I think the old battery was down to 2.9 volts.

I normally keep the Fob in one of those Faraday blocker boxes at home and have a large-size Faraday pouch to put the Fob and my attached house keys in when I'm visiting friends (especially if the car is parked "uncomfortably close").

Whilst my phone is paired to the car for Bluetooth/phone calls I've never set it up as an access Key as there's no need with a Fob.
(I always carry one of the key cards in my phone/wallet just in case though!)

Reactions: Yachtsman
After 2 years and 1 month I got an onscreen warning message that my Fob battery was low - needless to say I couldn't find the spare CR2032 battery that came with the Fob's gift box but did have another spare. I think the old battery was down to 2.9 volts.

I normally keep the Fob in one of those Faraday blocker boxes at home and have a large-size Faraday pouch to put the Fob and my attached house keys in when I'm visiting friends (especially if the car is parked "uncomfortably close").

Whilst my phone is paired to the car for Bluetooth/phone calls I've never set it up as an access Key as there's no need with a Fob.
(I always carry one of the key cards in my phone/wallet just in case though!)
Its each to their own on this one but here is my take.... Having had key fobs and faraday pouches in the past that I religiously kept the spare and put the daily use one into the pouch at night, It was still a liability out and about because i didn't bother as it was a PITA to cart the pouch with me.

Im really liking the minimalistic carrying the phone with rfid case that can open my front door, deals with the car, has apple pay and has a credit, debit, tesla and door cards as a backup... In time, Im hoping just to rely on my watch if I'm feeling brave for even more minimalistic.

Eggs in one basket but just think about it for a minute.

Not criticising your choice BTW. Again, each to their own.

Reactions: Casss
Doesn’t the fob effectively power itself down if not moved for a few minutes? So if not moved, that would be the same as shielding it from RF attack by keeping in a faraday cage/bag? And a lot more convenient at expense of a brief period of vulnerability whilst it goes to sleep.

Doesn’t the fob effectively power itself down if not moved for a few minutes? So if not moved, that would be the same as shielding it from RF attack by keeping in a faraday cage/bag? And a lot more convenient at expense of a brief period of vulnerability whilst it goes to sleep.
I don't recall knowing about the Fob sleeping when I got the Faraday box and pouch right at the start of my Tesla ownership.
I've got the hang of dropping the Fob and keys in the box at home and the pouch is in my "carry-all" bag that always goes with me.
So I get "double protection" when the Fob goes to sleep - what's not to like about that? :)

Reactions: Yachtsman
I'm not impressed with the key card or the phone app options.
I'm curious what problem you are having here? I've found the phone app (iPhone) to be ultra-convenient and fairly reliable. I do carry the key card in my wallet as a backup and that has never let me down. Last car we had with a key fob was our MX and I can't say I miss not having one.

Reactions: Matt125
Yes, I believe this is what it does.

I really rate the key fob. I like having something to put the house keys on (so I don’t accidentally lock myself out!) and the extra functionality it provides, especially the charge cable open/unlock and the froot open.

I'm curious what problem you are having here? I've found the phone app (iPhone) to be ultra-convenient and fairly reliable. I do carry the key card in my wallet as a backup and that has never let me down. Last car we had with a key fob was our MX and I can't say I miss not having one.

Agreed. The latest updates to the phone app have made it a lot faster too, but I never have to open the app to unlock my car manually as it is automatically done when I pull the door handle. I only use the app to remotely open the boot or frunk when I need to load or unload.

I do not want to go back to the days where I'd have to look for my key to be able to get into the car. My phone is on me 24/7 unlike my keys. Like most things in life, one less thing you have to do is like one less button click when using computer software - it's just better.

I also do not like the very real security risk that having a key brings in the sense of relay attacks.

Reactions: Js1977 and Peteski
Agreed. The latest updates to the phone app have made it a lot faster too, but I never have to open the app to unlock my car manually as it is automatically done when I pull the door handle. I only use the app to remotely open the boot or frunk when I need to load or unload.

I do not want to go back to the days where I'd have to look for my key to be able to get into the car. My phone is on me 24/7 unlike my keys. Like most things in life, one less thing you have to do is like one less button click when using computer software - it's just better.

I also do not like the very real security risk that having a key brings in the sense of relay attacks.
Yep, no key or thought required. The car just opens and locks itself automatically when you are carrying your phone. What more could you want??

Reactions: Js1977
Umm, the Fob works exactly the same way...

For normal entry the car unlocks as you get close and you can open any door then drive away (PIN permitting)
Car locks, mirrors fold and blinkers flash as you walk away.
All with the Fob in your pocket untouched.

In addition it has a "boot button" - press twice for open/close boot lid, press once for longer time opens/unlocks the charge port.
It has a "car roof button" - press once for manual locking, press twice for unlocking (mirrors unfold and car interior lights come on).
it has a "frunk button" - press twice to open frunk.
All operable whilst in your pocket - no need to look at it or take it out of your pocket to use.

And, if it runs out of battery power, simply place it's "bottom" surface against the driver's B pillar to unlock/lock and briefly by the cupholders to drive (same as a keycard).

Plus, with a cover, it can be put on your house keyring - what more could you want? ;)