Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key fob locked in car - I thought this was not possible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought this could not happen. Oct 2016 MS. As I do EVERY morning, I put the dog in the back seat, then my briefcase containing my key fob on the front passenger seat. Close the doors and walk around to the driver's door, press the handle - nothing. Trunk release button won't open it, nor any other handle. This may not be a problem in other locations since usually I could just open the car with the app on the phone. In my garage, however, the car itself does not get a signal because, I suspect, the roof is lined with a foil backing.

It gets worse. My spare fob is in another briefcase in the trunk - where from a prior incident I know is a dead spot. Tesla service tries to open it remotely, but (foil lined roof again) they cannot connect to the car. Eventually, someone was sent to physically break into the car, which they were able to do rather easily.

So, how does this happen? Especially when the fob was in the exact location where it had been literally hundreds, if not thousands of times? I am far too aware of the dead spot in the rear, but the fob on the front seat?

Future planning: connect the car to your phone's hotspot so it has that stored in the saved Wi-Fi networks. Then you can fire up the hotspot, let the car connect, and then send the command to unlock from your phone (to the server, back to your phone, to the car).

If you phone can connect to the Tesla server, then the car should be able to connect also -- right? Or are you thinking about placing your phone as a relay between the car and where there is cell phone reception?

Future planning: connect the car to your phone's hotspot so it has that stored in the saved Wi-Fi networks. Then you can fire up the hotspot, let the car connect, and then send the command to unlock from your phone (to the server, back to your phone, to the car).

Very good idea. Thank you. As tech challenged as I am, I THINK I can do that. Perhaps I'll enlist the services of the neighbor kid - if I can withstand the eye-rolling at my incompetence.

That seems like it causes other problems: whenever you are near your car or in it, it will connect to your phone instead of remaining on LTE, in which case all data goes through your phone service.

Generally speaking anything that can go wrong will go wrong.

So with that thinking in mind I turned off the auto-lock. It's reliant on two devices working correctly (the fob having energy from the battery, and the antenna picking it up).

The good side is I don't have to worry about the car automatically locking on me.

The bad side is if I valet the car I have to make sure to remotely lock it because valets don't lock it.