Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key fob vs phone reliability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never heard about the ring/bracelets before reading this - amazing!

When I did my test drive, I pulled over and got out of the car to look at the trunk, frunk, etc. Didn't think that I wouldn't be able to drive the car again.... Had to call the dealer and they restarted it remotely, as they didn't give me the key card.

Incase we have Model Y owners who haven't seen this on the Model 3 pages, here ya go. It may not be for everyone, I get it but it works for some people. I can't take my phone into the office due to policy and I hate digging my keycard out of my wallet or smacking my ID lanyard against the B-pillar.

I just received mine in today. Ordered 8 June arrived 24 June. I got a custom ring that I saw on their Instagram (attached that picture) which is a bit more expensive than their standard colors. It was $150 (cu + $15 in shipping I think. I think the price is decent compared to the quality and what I've seen on Amazon or the like.

It’s not as wide as I was expecting it (8mm is what they say). It is wider than my wedding band (about 4mm I think) but I’m also just not used to wearing a ring on my other hand. It’s very light and thin. I can’t seem to find a seam so it’s well made. The company was responsive to emails prior to purchase. They require approval of the custom rings before you submit an order. I did not want any logos on it, no Tesla T and I didn’t want the company logo either.

It’s already come in handy as I walked to the car without my phone or wallet to grab some paperwork. It paired just like a regular key car and I’m good to go! I’d recommend it for sure.

Reactions: tk1971
Sure it does. You can remote enable the car to be driven from the phone app.

Just took delivery of a MY so working through this stuff; seems that from your login on Tesla.com under "manage/card access/add user" you can add someone's email address and they can access and drive your car after setting up a Tesla account from your email link? I don't see add user option on the iPhone app though, only on a browser.

There are 2 separate phone key options. One is passive entry. When people are talking about their “phone” not working, IMO they are usually talking about the vehicle not detecting it for passive entry.

However, there’s always the option of launching the Tesla app and pressing the unlock button to get in the car. I suppose this wouldn’t work for actually getting the car in drive, however!

3 options to use phone as a key if your phone has NFC function. So - Bluetooth, Tesla Mobile App or NFC.

Just activate NFC function on an authenticated phone, and tap just like a Key Card to the b-pillar or the sensor by the cup holders.