Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key fob

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$300 is not that bad when Tesla charges same for garage opener and $53k for the car! 😀
Plus modern ICE cars charge about the same for their key fobs if you loose it from $150-250. At least with Tesla you can add it yourself.
People get it because they miss that feeling of having something in hand.
I am fully enjoying using my phone as a key.
Now pretty regularly I leave my wife’s ICE car running and open and just walk away from it:oops:

Upvote 0
I’m thinking about getting just because of service at shops other than Tesla. Every time I take it into my local tire shop they forget to lock the vehicle when they are done. I tell them every time it is not walk away lock with card. They also struggle to unlock it every time. It is humorous watching the sentry footage of them trying to figure it out though!

Upvote 0
We have fobs for both of our MY’s. Wouldn’t be without it.

They work 100% of the time for unlock on approach/lock on walk away, you can open trunk/frunk with them, and if you have FSD you can use dumb summon with them.

Also, if the battery in the fob dies, you can still use it like the key card: tap on the outside to unlock, tap on the center console to drive.

Upvote 0
$300 is not that bad when Tesla charges same for garage opener and $53k for the car! 😀
Plus modern ICE cars charge about the same for their key fobs if you loose it from $150-250. At least with Tesla you can add it yourself.
People get it because they miss that feeling of having something in hand.
I am fully enjoying using my phone as a key.
Now pretty regularly I leave my wife’s ICE car running and open and just walk away from it:oops:

I considered getting a key fob, but I like having phone as key. Only problem is, my house key is normally attached to my primary vehicle key fob... in this case I have ordered a nice metal Key ring with a Tesla "T" logo. When it arrives I will stop carrying my wifes spare Bolt fob.

Keith

Upvote 0
I considered getting a key fob, but I like having phone as key. Only problem is, my house key is normally attached to my primary vehicle key fob... in this case I have ordered a nice metal Key ring with a Tesla "T" logo. When it arrives I will stop carrying my wifes spare Bolt fob.

Keith
In that case . . .

get one of these for your house!

1627050619036.png

Seriously, I've not had a house key for over ten years now. It's very liberating

Upvote 0

Keith
Personally went for this one and pretty much forgot what the key is.
Either open it through keypad, app, or Alexa.
Smart WiFi Lock
Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 11.25.44 AM.png

Upvote 0
We purchased our MY used but it came with a key fob. When I let people drive the MY, I give them the key fob. It's easier to lock and unlock the doors rather than use the key card.
I love the fact that I don't carry anything in my pocket when I drive the MY to work. When I drive the wife's MX with the fob, it feels odd having anything in my pocket. The only time the phone as a key don't work on the MY is when I have the wrong car selected in the app. I'd say, just give it some time and you will never look back on ever using a key fob, ever again.

Upvote 0
In that case . . .

get one of these for your house!

View attachment 687230

Seriously, I've not had a house key for over ten years now. It's very liberating

I am with you, but my wife resists every tech advance / home automation item I buy. All of our lighting is automated, with areas that are not "habitation" zones controlled by motion sensors. I have security cameras, doorbell, etc as well. I do all of this little by little when she is not paying attention.

We have automated curtains and blinds in the bedroom, (I installed them while she was on vacation) and she loves them... I ordered another set for the Livingroom and she doesn't want me to install them... I will do so next time she goes on a vacation and she will come back, give me a stern look and then fall in love with them.

Sigh.

Keith

Upvote 0
I'm sort of with you and sort of not

Some technology is fantastic. I love keyless entry (really keyless-carry) and I have security cameras all over the place

but I also had a Wink hub and an Alexa and lightbulbs that I could say "Turn on living room". They were fantastic ... until the first power cut, then the magic wouldn't work any more. I found out I had to do a factory reset - on a lightbulb ffs!!!!!

After about the tenth time of this I just gave up and decommissioned it all

Upvote 0
Do mean a wearable bluetooth-capable ring around your finger?
Not bluetooth, but RFID, and it only works for the M3 and MY. They're from Georgia (the country, not the state), and I even like the backstory: some students there made them with their school RFID chip, to make it easier to pass through the campus turnstiles, and then they expanded to Teslas: https://www.teslaring.com/ I'm sure there are others available somewhere, but this is where I bought mine. They make a bracelet too, but I decided on the ring.

Upvote 0