Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kia Soul EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does the Soul EV look for my worst case commute?
50km (31mi) from home to work, parked outside at work for 12 hours overnight, no charging available whatsoever, then 50km (31mi) back home. Can it be done in windy -25C (-13F) winter with snow covered roads?
Is this looking possible or should I be saving for a Tesla?

It's probably possible as other have suggested with driving carefully and reducing heat and so on. But the problem is, all of this is based off a new battery and directly driving from home to work and back. What if there is an accident and you need to do a detour. What if you want to run an errand on the way. Pushing the battery from 100% to zero all the time is not good either. If you simple daily commute (in winter) is already pushing the limits of your EV it's not going to cut it. That's exactly why I went with the Tesla rather than another EV. I could have made it work with a Leaf or but it would have been a stretch. I also would not have been able to use my EV for any road trips. I would always have to drive extra careful and worry. Even the 60 kWh Model S would have worked for me, but I still went with the 85 just to have the extra buffer so I will never have to worry.

I'm not saying buy your car for the worst case scenario that happens maybe once a year. Then no EV would cut it. Take your daily drive in bad conditions, and add 30% range. You don't want to run your battery from 100% to 0% all the time and you always want to have a buffer.

As I commented on Youtube, Kia claimes 200 Wh/kg at the cell level, Tesla is at 250 Wh/kg cell level. Don't know if they have a lot of weight savings in pack assembly to make up the difference, but I doubt it.
It's pretty clear from how the claim is written that it refers to cell level only. I wouldn't be surprised if Kia excluded Tesla's cells from their claim.

I leased a Shadow Black one yesterday morning :smile:

After having told me way back when (September) that he would honor the national advertised lease deal ($1,999 down, $279/mo), I go in and, of course, it turns into negotiations. Mrs. Toe told me this would happen, she was right. I fortunately had a pretty strong hand, because another dealer who had 3 available quoted me a deal close to the national deal. I actually had to get in the old car to drive off to the other dealer when the sales manager comes out and starts waving me back in. Such drama :tongue:. Glad I will not have to go through that process again. When we were talking to the guy who handles the leasing paperwork, he was even joking about the whole process. He said getting in the car and starting to drive off without looking back is the key. There you have it. There are not going to be a lot of the Shadow Black ones out in the wild, so I'm not surprised about the arm twisting going on. Of course after we shook hands on the deal, we were all the best of friends :wink:. As I was driving off, the head guy did come and say that he thought that EV's were the future, and he wished that Kia would send him more as they were doing a very brisk business at the dealership.

I ended up driving about 60 total miles. The only part that I actually clocked was a stretch on the freeway that varied between free moving and stop-and-go traffic. I went 28 miles on 27 rated miles. I'll report back more on this after I get some additional miles under my belt. I plugged into my condo charger last night, and used the phone app to stop the charging when it got to 96%. The rated miles at that point showed 109. The "reserved charging" feature the car has allows one to set a fixed charging time (day and time), for those with cheaper power at night. There is also a radio button selector that allows you to charge to 80% or 100%. My commute is about 14 miles round trip per day. So I will probably end up charging maybe twice per week, using the overnight method to go to 80%. And only do 100% charges when I need to do much more driving.

Absolutely loving the car so far. Mrs. Toe threatened to hijack the car whenever she gets the chance. Her commute is much longer than mine (60 miles), so I encouraged her to do just that as much as she wants. We will be getting the white sticker soon, which will also allow solo access to both carpool and Fastrack lanes. Will report back when I have more operation information to share. So happy to have joined the EV revolution. I'll post a pic later on when I get a chance to take a nice postcard shot somewhere...

RT

I'm having trouble with the remote climate control when plugged in. I try sending in a manual request to turn it on, and I'm getting the following text message back: "Climate could not be started because the charging station is not supplying any power". This is while it is plugged in to a 110v outlet and charging. I believe the UVO EV app on my android phone said something to the effect that it couldn't start it because the charging station was requesting payment. And the 110v outlet certainly wasn't doing that. I get that at home too when connected to my Bosch Level2 charger.

Any ideas?

RT

P.S. I checked the Android app version, still the same as when I started. And there are less than 1,000 total downloads. Maybe this is a case of inadequate testing? This is pretty basic stuff though.

I hadn't tried the remote climate control (I keep the car in the garage in SoCal, so it's always in a comfortable temp range). But when I got your PM this morning, I called up the UVO app on my iPhone, and turned on the A/C. It seemed to work just right: I saw one blue charge light on the dash start to flash, and confirmed that the air was blowing in the car. I then sent the command to turn the climate control off, and it did so immediately.

One thing I suspect: I am using a Level 2 charging station. When the climate control came on, the EVSE was drawing 8 Amps @ 240V. That's the equivalent of 16A at 120V, which is too much current. Maybe the car does not allow remote climate control, when using a 120V charger?

One thing I suspect: I am using a Level 2 charging station. When the climate control came on, the EVSE was drawing 8 Amps @ 240V. That's the equivalent of 16A at 120V, which is too much current. Maybe the car does not allow remote climate control, when using a 120V charger?

This could be it. I came to work this morning, and tried manually turning on the climate control to 74 degrees from my phone about 2 minutes before entering the car. It was connected to my Level 2 charger, and it fired up the heater just fine. The next time I get a chance to try it again with a 120V connection I'll report back. I'll also try the timed charge on my Level 2, which typically isn't necessary since it is in an underground garage. I'll have to wait for a cold night to see if the heater works. This would be unfortunate since my work charging space is in the open sun, with only 120V power. I was looking forward to a nice cool car after a long days work in August (or January as the case may be...).

How can you tell how much power the EVSE is using?

RT

Unfortunately Soul EV is to be sold only in 5 states and that just isn't very useful for my as I live in one of the other 45 states.

"Kia tells us that the Soul EV will only be available in California, Oregon, New York, New Jersey and Maryland."

Kia Soul EV - Live Images From 2014 LA Auto Show\

I can't even imagine what made them pick NJ and MD over WA or GA where the Leaf has strong sales. Well at least the 5 states they picked follow California's Clean Cars Standards.

CaliforniaAB 149320022005
New JerseyP.L. 2003, Chapter 26620042009
ConnecticutPublic Act 04-8420042008
WashingtonHouse Bill 139720052009
VermontAmendments to Subchapter XI20052009
New YorkChapter III, Subpart 218-820052009
MaineAmendments to Chapter 12720052009
Rhode IslandAir Pollution Control Regulation No. 3720052009
MassachusettsAmendments to the state’s LEV regulations20052009
OregonRegulations (Division 257; OAR 340-256-0220; and Division 12)20062009
ArizonaExecutive Order 2006-1320062011
PennsylvaniaAmendments to Title 25, Chapters 121 and 12620062008
MarylandSenate Bill 10320072011
FloridaExecutive Order 07-1272007
New Mexico
But that is still a big chunk of customers they are ignoring.

This announcement came out yesterday http://www.autoblog.com/2015/02/12/kia-soul-ev-expanding-availability/ looks like they are going to expanding availability.

I'm seriously tempted to get one of these. I still want a Model 3, but we haven't seen any concept or specs on it yet. Besides, if I do a 3-year lease, it should coincide nicely with the first year or two of the Model 3. My only hesitation is biting the bullet on getting a J1772 home charger, only to have to swap it out for a Tesla charger later. I suppose I could continue to use the J1772 with an adapter. Thoughts?

I'm seriously tempted to get one of these. I still want a Model 3, but we haven't seen any concept or specs on it yet. Besides, if I do a 3-year lease, it should coincide nicely with the first year or two of the Model 3. My only hesitation is biting the bullet on getting a J1772 home charger, only to have to swap it out for a Tesla charger later. I suppose I could continue to use the J1772 with an adapter. Thoughts?
A HPWC ($750) plus a 40A J1772 cord ($155) combined are practically the same price as a 48A Clipper Creek HCS-60 or 40A Leviton EVB40 ($899 ea). Just remove the Tesla connector cable to install the J1772 cable, then put back the cable with the Tesla connector should you need it later. Of course, a 30-32A station that matches the Soul EV OBC is cheaper than that.

Last edited: