Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kia Soul EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Leaf has an inverter whine? It does ?

Are you sure you are not confusing that with the AC noise ?
Regardless of where the whine comes from, the Leaf has a whine that is clearly audible. A friend of mine who has a Leaf always remarks how quiet my Tesla is when he is in it. The whine in his Leaf does not bother me at all, but if there was a loud whine in a Kia, that would annoy me after awhile.

This was my guess too. The Leaf has had it on at low speeds since the 2013(?) model year while it was optional before that. It is a funky kind of sound; not quite an inverter whine.

By optional, you mean it can be turned off. All LEAFs have the ability to make the noise. On my 2011, there is a button on the dash to temporarily disable it if you wish.
I think they removed the disable button in later years. The sound is like a distant whistling/whirring sound. A bit like how a vaccum cleaner sounds from another room.

Might you consider having it DX'd, 3rd party shipped, or driving it back to your home state?

Check out this thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - range, charge time, trip time, used leaf 200 miles from home

3.3KW charging makes a 200 mile trip from the dealer to my house a 24 hour event.

add chademo charging and I can get that to about 8 hours one way.

Now add to the mix that the nearest state from me that has a Soul EV is more like 700 miles away and there is no way I'm driving it back.

And what would I do for warranty work? Ship the car to NJ/MD every time something breaks?

No if they don't sell them in my state I'm not buying one from somewhere else.

I'm willing to buy one from the next state over if there is a local dealer that sells them because then I can expect warranty service can be handled locally, but even then I don't look forward to a full day driving/charging/driving/charging to buy a used EV and drive it home.

Last edited:
How does the Soul EV look for my worst case commute?

50km (31mi) from home to work, parked outside at work for 12 hours overnight, no charging available whatsoever, then 50km (31mi) back home. Can it be done in windy -25C (-13F) winter with snow covered roads?

Is this looking possible or should I be saving for a Tesla?

50km (31mi) from home to work, parked outside at work for 12 hours overnight, no charging available whatsoever, then 50km (31mi) back home. Can it be done in windy -25C (-13F) winter with snow covered roads?

Dunno specifically speaking about the Soul EV. However, I spoke to gentleman at the Portland, Maine EV event a few months ago with an ever expanding fleet of Leafs. He said his employees obtain approximately 50% of range in winter driving.

You can guesstimate from the Leaf. Here it says 65 miles of daily range at 86F, 36 miles at -13F. So about 55% of the range. Throw in the relative EPA efficiency of the two cars (84 vs 93) and for the Kia get about 72 mi @ 86F, 40 mi @ -13F. Even if you assume EPA*55%, you come in at 51mi for the Kia, which is definitely not enough.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1082048_nissan-leaf-range-how-much-does-it-lose-in-the-cold

It's quite possible IF you are willing to forgo a few things. First and foremost, speed. You don't say how fast your 62 commute is, but if you do it at 50 MPH or less it would be quite doable. Second, heat. Without heat, you can eek out a few more miles (not as much as you might think...), however without heat often comes fogged windows and frozen wipers, so setting the heat to very low (not off) can help there. Heated seats and thermal underwear are a must!

I've a similar commute (59 miles, no work charging) which I've done in the "100" mile ActiveE, and now in the "80" mile i3. Haven't been caught short yet, though I was close once in the ActiveE when I got stuck going home in the worst snow storm of the year. Had to keep the defrost on full when stopped crawling for an hour in horrible traffic, and when moving, blowing snow and wind sapped the range significantly. Still made it home (well, got stuck in my unplowed driveway...but close enough!) with 2% SOC in the AE, when there was normally 20% SOC left in the winter (45% SOC in the summer, BTW). Haven't been though really cold in the i3 yet, but expect to make it without drama.

It might be a challenge when driving 75 MPH, but you should have no problem at 45 MPH. I take the backroads when it's that cold for this very reason, to keep the speed down.

(in addition)
Oh, I forgot to add: while at home warm up the car while plugged in. The car and batteries will be warmer for at least one leg of the trip.

Last edited:
It's quite possible IF you are willing to forgo a few things. First and foremost, speed. You don't say how fast your 62 commute is, but if you do it at 50 MPH or less it would be quite doable. Second, heat. Without heat, you can eek out a few more miles (not as much as you might think...), however without heat often comes fogged windows and frozen wipers, so setting the heat to very low (not off) can help there. Heated seats and thermal underwear are a must!

I've a similar commute (59 miles, no work charging) which I've done in the "100" mile ActiveE, and now in the "80" mile i3. Haven't been caught short yet, though I was close once in the ActiveE when I got stuck going home in the worst snow storm of the year. Had to keep the defrost on full when stopped crawling for an hour in horrible traffic, and when moving, blowing snow and wind sapped the range significantly. Still made it home (well, got stuck in my unplowed driveway...but close enough!) with 2% SOC in the AE, when there was normally 20% SOC left in the winter (45% SOC in the summer, BTW). Haven't been though really cold in the i3 yet, but expect to make it without drama.

It might be a challenge when driving 75 MPH, but you should have no problem at 45 MPH. I take the backroads when it's that cold for this very reason, to keep the speed down.

(in addition)
Oh, I forgot to add: while at home warm up the car while plugged in. The car and batteries will be warmer for at least one leg of the trip.

I usually drive 95km/h, but in bad weather I would go 80km/h. Five stops signs on the way too. How extreme of a winter have you done that commute in? Temps?

I usually drive 95km/h, but in bad weather I would go 80km/h. Five stops signs on the way too. How extreme of a winter have you done that commute in? Temps?
At 80 km/h (50 MPH), you'll be just fine. It's highway speeds that suck power.

As for the temps for the last winter here near Boston, MA, I compared November 1 2013 thru March 30, 2014 with Kingston ON. We're about 11 degrees F warmer on average than there.

Boston vs Kingston (degrees F, Nov 1 2013 through March 30, 2014)

Boston, MAKingston, ON
Max4128
Mean3322
Min2616

Weather History for Boston, MA | Weather Underground

Weather History for Kingston, Canada | Weather Underground