Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

kWh to Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
convert kWh’s added into miles added

Except car efficiency varies considerably for numerous reasons and is not a fixed constant.

Although for anyone that wants a kWh to Miles "MPG-type" number then some sort of average will have to be used :)

It's around 3 or 4 miles per kWh, depending on.... stuff

That's the number I use!

On a 12 hour journey between UK and Alps, trogging along a relatively empty autoroute at pretty constant 130 KPH, each leg between refuelling, at very similar temperatures, showed a fair amount of variation. I reckon lifetime-average is probably a reasonable figure to convert £Pounds-to-Miles or Pence-per-mile

It's around 3 or 4 miles per kWh, depending on.... stuff

Yep, tbh, I use a ready reconer of 3 miles/kWh and anything better is a bonus/safety net. Temperature, wind and rain are the biggest factors so in general winter gives around 15-20% less range for your charge than spring-autumn.

The other biggie, lots of stop start trips are unlikely to require a sustained period without opportunity to charge (some may be surprised when 100 x 3 mile extrapolated trips will give nowhere near the cumulative range of a couple of 150 mile trips) so can pretty much be ruled out of the need to know unless you don't have home/work charging - in early days when we didn't have home charging, so used 'about 6 days after a 80-90% charge'.

1674205122080.png

2019M3LR.

Yep, tbh, I use a ready reconer of 3 miles/kWh and anything better is a bonus/safety net. Temperature, wind and rain are the biggest factors so in general winter gives around 15-20% less range for your charge than spring-autumn.

Forgot to add, if you pre condition for Supercharger can add a huge cut too so worth considering if its worth auto pre conditioning (or just doing it manually, ie selecting supercharger destination or not) especially if there is a chance that the planned supercharger destination may be changed/cancelled later in the drive.

Stats from a recent trip, both heading for a supercharger stop, 120 mile stint at 76% efficiency with pre conditioning for 11% (manually selecting supercharger part way through the drive) of that (60% battery used), vs 86 mile stint at 64% efficiency with pre conditioning for 62% (automatically selecting supercharger) of the drive (49% battery used!). Putting latter in perspective, the remaining 71 miles of that stint after supercharging was 79% efficiency (32% battery). These were very wet and windy conditions at around 7C.

Forgot to add, if you pre condition for Supercharger can add a huge cut too so worth considering if its worth auto pre conditioning (or just doing it manually, ie selecting supercharger destination or not) especially if there is a chance that the planned supercharger destination may be changed/cancelled later in the drive.

Stats from a recent trip, both heading for a supercharger stop, 120 mile stint at 76% efficiency with pre conditioning for 11% (manually selecting supercharger part way through the drive) of that (60% battery used), vs 86 mile stint at 64% efficiency with pre conditioning for 62% (automatically selecting supercharger) of the drive (49% battery used!). Putting latter in perspective, the remaining 71 miles of that stint after supercharging was 79% efficiency (32% battery). These were very wet and windy conditions at around 7C.
Presumably the "hit" of precondition is significantly worse at 0 ambient than 25 ambient in the summer?

Reactions: Jason71
Presumably the "hit" of precondition is significantly worse at 0 ambient than 25 ambient in the summer?

I don't know the official answer to that as I suspect its also dependent on what heating system the car has, but 25C ambient is still cold for the battery. For our non heap pump car, pre conditioning still is quite a hit on drive efficiency even in the warmer months. Duration and type of drive also has a bearing.

I don't know the official answer to that as I suspect its also dependent on what heating system the car has, but 25C ambient is still cold for the battery. For our non heap pump car, pre conditioning still is quite a hit on drive efficiency even in the warmer months. Duration and type of drive also has a bearing.
precondition is quite harsh... it adds almost 100 wh/mile