Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Labor Electric Car FBT discount

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The moment the legislation passes, I'll be contacting my SA to change the rego details from personal to business. Does anyone know if there is a cutoff point until when this can be done, i.e. needs to happen before VIN is assigned or other stages?

The legislation has had it's first reading to the House of Representatives.

The legislation has had it's first reading to the House of Representatives.

Boom that was quick

My reading ass follows. Assuming this bill is uncontroversial and quick passes and receives Royal Assent, it will be enacted at the next quarter start (e.g. 1st October). After enactment the legislation is written to be retrospective, backdating to 1st July 2022. The enables an FBT exemption that applies to the complete taxation year.

• Helpful
Reactions: Maximillan
My reading ass follows. Assuming this bill is uncontroversial and quick passes and receives Royal Assent, it will be enacted at the next quarter start (e.g. 1st October). After enactment the legislation is written to be retrospective, backdating to 1st July 2022. The enables an FBT exemption that applies to the complete taxation year.
Have you had any advice on how a retrospective exemption would work? A refund? Or some other mechanism?

I'm watching this with interest. I'm wondering how they will retrospectively apply the legislation. (I'm shortly going to apply for novt lease). Our company does employee contribution method meaning some of the lease cost comes out of my pocket hence negating fbt. If at end of year fbt reconciliation occurs those contributions will have to be refunded some how and converted to pre tax dollars towards lease. This is doing my head in !!. Lease provider so far not forthcoming how it'll work.. I guess go ahead with a standard lease and somehow it'll get reconciled March next year.. hmmm

I'm watching this with interest. I'm wondering how they will retrospectively apply the legislation. (I'm shortly going to apply for novt lease). Our company does employee contribution method meaning some of the lease cost comes out of my pocket hence negating fbt. If at end of year fbt reconciliation occurs those contributions will have to be refunded some how and converted to pre tax dollars towards lease. This is doing my head in !!. Lease provider so far not forthcoming how it'll work.. I guess go ahead with a standard lease and somehow it'll get reconciled March next year.. hmmm
Is the car you want to lease available now? I have my car on order that I intend to use and will arrange my Novated Lease Quote as soon as this legislation has passed royal assent.

The lease provider is just covering themselves until it becomes law.

I’ve had a cost for both options (with and without fbt) the cost difference per week is circa $50. Mainly because work related kms is 80%. I’m going to go ahead and do a novated lease, instead of loan, as financially there is very little difference between the 2 financially, even with 2.99% loan.
I’m expecting Labor’s bill to go through, think it’s a very slim chance it won’t get through at this stage

Not advice, I will consider starting my lease not using ECM and getting my employer to hold off doing anything with FBT. Then if the legislation is passed and retrospective I won't need to change anything. If for some reason the legislation doesn't eventuate as indicated I will have plenty of time to make up the FBT liability and revert to ECM.
I’ve had a cost for both options (with and without fbt) the cost difference per week is circa $50. Mainly because work related kms is 80%. I’m going to go ahead and do a novated lease, instead of loan, as financially there is very little difference between the 2 financially, even with 2.99% loan.
I’m expecting Labor’s bill to go through, think it’s a very slim chance it won’t get through at this stage
I didn't think "work related km" are relevant - can be 100% personal use under a novated lease arrangement?

Not advice, I will consider starting my lease not using ECM and getting my employer to hold off doing anything with FBT. Then if the legislation is passed and retrospective I won't need to change anything. If for some reason the legislation doesn't eventuate as indicated I will have plenty of time to make up the FBT liability and revert to ECM.

I didn't think "work related km" are relevant - can be 100% personal use under a novated lease arrangement?
could you explain what you mean about ‘not using ECM?’ Please?

could you explain what you mean about ‘not using ECM?’ Please?
ECM doesn’t raise an FBT liability, but on the assumption there won’t be one I can’t see the point making post tax contributions. I will make only pre tax, which will currently create an FBT liability but if legislation is passed and backdated then no FBT liability and nothing to change for my packaging arrangement. Hope that makes sense.