Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane departure avoidance issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't read all 5 pages of this thread but I also just got the update that has this mandatory "feature" and I really hate it. On my regular commute on a narrow two lane country road, ELDA activated twice for no apparent reason. As those who have experienced it, that warning is loud, annoying, and startling, as I suppose is the point to get your attention. It freaked me out so much coming out of nowhere that I almost wrecked because of it by jerking the wheel in reaction.

The worse part is the feeling of being on edge every time while driving, not knowing when the next time the car is going to shriek at me. I sent feedback to Tesla and I hope that everyone who is experiencing these annoying false positives is doing the same. They need to implement a way to permanently turn it off and not automatically start with every drive.

Some love it, some not so much but the most important bit is we don't have to the choice to refuse the feature unless we want no future updates

+100 on contacting Tesla, I believe they will do the right thing and make this truly optional <- at least I want to believe that!

Reactions: brandonee916
Some love it, some not so much but the most important bit is we don't have to the choice to refuse the feature unless we want no future updates

+100 on contacting Tesla, I believe they will do the right thing and make this truly optional <- at least I want to believe that!

Totally agree! For right now since we don't have FSD (the type we can just let the car fully drive to our destination) it should be optional

The only other option to disabling it EVERY drive, is to be THAT person and drive with your turn indicator on.. I think I'll become that person until Elon hears us.

• Funny
Reactions: Msjulie
Agree.
It feels a LOT like helicopter parenting. A good parent GIVES YOU THE TOOLS and then cuts the apron strings and lets YOU create your own path. Tesla is NOT my mother and I don't need TESLA to make decisions for me. Just present me with the tools, and I'll take it from there. Only Jesus can take my wheel.

Did Jesus have a Tesla, or another vehicle (like the one in the picture below)?

Tesla_Donkey.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Fernand
It's a shame how much this "safety feature" can ruin the driving experience. I just want to drive the car. I don't need the car trying to yank the wheel from my control under any circumstance.

Do the Tesla engineers ever consider that driving perfectly centered within the lane is not always the safest thing to do?

Have they ever seen a pot hole? Road debris? Dead animals?

Did they consider that drifting over the fog line is not necessarily going to lead to a collision?

Do they realize that normal people don't activate their turn signals when they need to swerve to avoid obstacles and that the most dangerous thing to do in those situations is to fight with the driver and try to steer them back into the obstacle?

The way they've chosen to implement this system in such a simple and naive way gives me serious doubt that they're anywhere close to full self driving.

PLEASE, TESLA. Let me turn this "feature" off permanently! The car was really fun to drive until this update.

It's a shame how much this "safety feature" can ruin the driving experience. I just want to drive the car. I don't need the car trying to yank the wheel from my control under any circumstance.

Do the Tesla engineers ever consider that driving perfectly centered within the lane is not always the safest thing to do?

Have they ever seen a pot hole? Road debris? Dead animals?

Did they consider that drifting over the fog line is not necessarily going to lead to a collision?

Do they realize that normal people don't activate their turn signals when they need to swerve to avoid obstacles and that the most dangerous thing to do in those situations is to fight with the driver and try to steer them back into the obstacle?

The way they've chosen to implement this system in such a simple and naive way gives me serious doubt that they're anywhere close to full self driving.

PLEASE, TESLA. Let me turn this "feature" off permanently! The car was really fun to drive until this update.

I think I love you. Well said.

You can see from the polls on the forums (in an otherwise positive environment) that people have very mixed feelings about this feature. Makes me wonder whether or not Tesla should send out a poll to their customers as well, either via email, on-screen or possibly in the Tesla App itself before introducing a feature by default. I'm sure they're also looking at the stats for the number of times drivers are disabling or switching off features. Can anyone think of another time people have reacted this way to a new feature?

Reactions: jkeyser14
I'm not sure it's been mentioned here, but i believe you can tell whether its the LDA or ELDA doing its thing based on the color that the lane line flashes in the display. LDA flashes the lane line blue, while ELDA flashes red. ELDA has an audible chime as well.
From what I can tell the steering force on an LDA correction is quite low. I found it very easy to override it if I wanted to.
The steering force for an ELDA correction is definitely higher, but still not that hard to override. I found the force to override ELDA similar to the force require to disable Autosteer, while the LDA force was less.

Personally I didn't find either one that unsettling, but that being said, I was ready for it to happen. I could definitely see the ELDA catching you off guard if it falsely triggered when you weren't expecting it to happen.

I plan to keep both enabled for now. I've had one instance where the LDA legitimately made a correction when I wasn't 100% paying attention. Hoping they can figure out the edge cases in future versions so I can keep these systems active, as I feel they definitely have potential for good.

On a related note, does anybody have any comparisons to other cars that have active lane keeping assist? Have any other manufactures figured it out better, or do they have similar problems? I've only driven cars that have lane departure warning, but they can't make any corrections. I know a lot of people that turn those off because they can be annoying, but I always leave it on. The system in my Acura MDX is only active over 40 mph so it doesn't do much when driving on local roads. Perhaps Tesla could implement a speed setpoint under which the system is disabled. I think that could eliminate a lot of the false triggers that are happening when driving on slower local roads.

• LDA flashes the lane line blue, while ELDA flashes red.
  • ELDA has an audible chime as well.
  • From what I can tell the steering force on an LDA correction is quite low. I found it very easy to override it if I wanted to.
  • The steering force for an ELDA correction is definitely higher, but still not that hard to override.
  • I found the force to override ELDA similar to the force require to disable Autosteer, while the LDA force was less.

@North75 at last a useful and informative post. Thank you!

As to all the hollering, it's obvious that some people don't want automation, while others have special cases like those NL bike roads, and in that sense any correction reverting to on by default for all drivers is a bug. Let's see when updates correct that.

But I can only guess that like seat-belts, these sorts of safeguards will be more refined and mandatory on ALL cars in the future, because they protect more people than not having them.

Reactions: North75
And there are those that are fine with automation that works.

I know it's hopeless in this thread, but I must say that my experience has been all positive. On the rare occasions they have done anything at all, the Lane Departure Assists have made very sensible corrections. I'm not sure why some people have had bad experiences, but it has never prevented me from avoiding potholes or even crossing the center line when necessary. Once you know it's there, it's like any part of a car with automation, you learn when to go with it, and when to take over. Maybe it's the people who don't use the various AP modes who find it unexpected and intrusive ?

I was in a near pile-up today near a freeway split, with crazy lane markings etc. The NOA did all the right avoidance and braking. I don't even know exactly which features did what, a lot of stuff happened very fast. I took it out of automation once we were stopped, there were a half dozen cars stopped all over two lanes. When I turned NOA back on, partly to see what it would do, it handled pulling out etc very well. But it was taking time to weasel into the freeway split a couple hundred feet away, so I did that manually. A few seconds later, I was back in NOA cruising. No problem. I don't think it would have gone as smoothly w/ Me & Jesus only mode. I have no complaints. That's an understatement.

Reactions: North75
Sorry to cross-post, as I said this on another thread.. but this is a big deal.
This ELDA change is bad, bad, bad.
I was driving on rural roads in Delaware, and several times it freaked and jerked the wheel from my hands into the middle of the road.
I had no idea what was going on, as I did not have autopilot on.
I had to go fishing around settings, which are in Autopilot menu (even though I wasn't using AP) and disabled it, only to find out next drive it did it again. Thank goodness my wife wasn't driving! She gets put off by a lot of the quirks and bugs as it is.
I did report as a bug. I'm sure it works as designed on most roads, but this is a completely unacceptable change and wasn't ready to be forced on us for every drive.

Edit: after seeing some comments about road conditions, I need to add - the roads I were on I do drive frequently. The are not even, and have "ruts" on the right side due to Amish Horse and Buggies. So I tend to avoid the ruts, and drive further on the right than I normally would. There are many roads that are not perfect in the world Tesla must do a better job of figuring this out. I really hope they push an update hard and fast to fix this.

Last edited:
I know it's hopeless in this thread, but I must say that my experience has been all positive.

I think it's great that the feature works for you; I think a lot of people are upset because it doesn't work for them as well AND they are forced to remember to turn it off every drive

Choice is the issue for me, more so than if it works well or not.. as with any other 'smart' function, ie AP, my ability to NOT use it allows me to enjoy my car all the time without having a startup routine that makes me tap through screens to reconfigure my car each day..

Imagine if the car decided where my seat should be and moved it and every time I got in, I would have to reset it before driving. Having user profiles/remembered seats probably saved more than 1 relationship! :)

Emergency one. Normal lane departure assistance will only vibrate the steering wheel. Enough people have complained and hopefully Tesla will allow us to permanently disable it or totally remove it.
==========
I believe that the vibration is when it is set to " warning " and if it is set to " assist " it jerks the wheel right out of your hands and scares the crap out of you.

Why can't "assist" just steer it back where it belongs without jerking the wheel?