Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane departure avoidance limited

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Daniel, i just got a (stealth) hitch installed, and am now getting this lane departure warning continuously. I'd be interested to get more info. What's the relation with the hitch ? Any sensor masked by the hitch ? Thanks ! I'd really like to have this back !
Obviously if you have a rack on the car blocking the sensors you're going to get that warning. If you're getting that warning without anything mounted to the hitch then it means they didn't plug the sensor wiring harness back in (or broke it). I don't remember if it's possible to plug it back in without removing the bumper.

Reactions: aymelis
Obviously if you have a rack on the car blocking the sensors you're going to get that warning. If you're getting that warning without anything mounted to the hitch then it means they didn't plug the sensor wiring harness back in (or broke it). I don't remember if it's possible to plug it back in without removing the bumper.
Thanks Daniel. I have nothing mounted on the hitch. It's actually a "stealth hitch", totally invisible. I'm going to get back the installer. Hopefully they did not break it.
I'm curious to understand which sensor we're talking about here. The back camera works with no issue. Thanks

Edit: i checked the rear sensors successfully tell me the distance (in inches) to the obstacle behind me (my garage door).

Last edited:
The back camera works with no issue. Thanks

Edit: i checked the rear sensors successfully tell me the distance (in inches) to the obstacle behind me (my garage door).

Maybe it is bad states. The harness for the ultrasonics does have to be unplugged to install the hitch. They may have plugged it back in, but maybe the car was moved or something briefly with it disconnected. That could have put it into a state where it thinks it is screwed up, even though all sensors are working just fine now. Probably a hard hard reset (no idea how to accomplish that) would fix it, but might require Tesla’s help.

And you are sure every ultrasonic is working? I guess the harness could be loose or damaged, and only a few of them could be working, but seems unlikely. I think that is the only electrical harness that has to be touched for the install, as I recall.

20190913_000327.jpg
Probably a hard hard reset.
[...]
And you are sure every ultrasonic is working?
Thanks Alan, I tried a soft and a hard reset (long press on steering buttons with or without pressing the brake). Did not help.

I believe all sensors are working based on the picture above, but i may be wrong.

Thanks

soft and a hard reset (long press on steering buttons with or without pressing the brake). Did not help.

I don’t think this resets any of the important vehicle systems (you can drive just fine while these are happening), so it may not be enough.

Maybe notify Tesla through the app and they can diagnose it remotely. Could also just wait for the next software update to see if it goes away - that update likely would do the necessary reset that you cannot do - though I have no idea really.

Obviously possible something is just broken, too, though does not look like it. Do all the sensors look like they are positioned properly in the bumper cover? I guess one could have gotten tweaked out of position or something. Not sure what would be enough to make it complain.

My Model 3 AWD (Sept, 2018) worked fine until about 3 -4 months ago. Within the past 3-4 months I've had the camera issues surface 3 times. Tesla sent a technician to my home to change the camera. The second time it happened I had it fixed at the service center and now yesterday, I had the same error message come up again but it didn't appear this morning when I drove the car. Its very frustrating to see these repeat error messages - despite 2 camera replacements! The specific messages were:
-Blindspot detection limited - camera visibility reduced
Lane departure feature limited - camera malfunction (or something to this extent)

Thanks Daniel. I have nothing mounted on the hitch. It's actually a "stealth hitch", totally invisible. I'm going to get back the installer. Hopefully they did not break it.
I'm curious to understand which sensor we're talking about here. The back camera works with no issue. Thanks

That’s mysterious. Maybe you can figure out a way to test each ultrasonic sensor individually. Have someone stand very close to each one? I assume the problem persists outside your garage? I get the error when there a wall close to the side cameras.

I have gotten both of these warnings several times, I feel like I get it when a camera is fogged it the sun is glaring on them. Haven't had it in the last two updates though. I didn't do any service center visits. It typically happens when you first start the car then clears up.

Maybe notify Tesla through the app and they can diagnose it remotely.
Obviously possible something is just broken, too, though does not look like it. Do all the sensors look like they are positioned properly in the bumper cover? I guess one could have gotten tweaked out of position or something. Not sure what would be enough to make it complain.
Thanks Alan, i did set an appointment with my Tesla service center, but have one month of wait time. I tried and went today, hoping they could try an over the air diagnostic. But i was told they'll call me 2 weeks before my appointment, so in 2 weeks from now.

Yeah, i tend to think something actually got broken or misplaced. I noticed today, as I was using Navigate on Autopilot, that the car would not change lane to the right: it enters a try-and-abort loop. Left lane works fine.
So it looks the right sensor is not working fine enough. But as seen in the picture above, it seems to work enough for proximity detection going reverse...

I have gotten both of these warnings several times, I feel like I get it when a camera is fogged it the sun is glaring on them. Haven't had it in the last two updates though. I didn't do any service center visits. It typically happens when you first start the car then clears up.
Glamisduner, my issue is more systematic and does not depend on light or weather conditions. Thanks though.

My Model 3 AWD (Sept, 2018) worked fine until about 3 -4 months ago. Within the past 3-4 months I've had the camera issues surface 3 times. Tesla sent a technician to my home to change the camera. The second time it happened I had it fixed at the service center and now yesterday, I had the same error message come up again but it didn't appear this morning when I drove the car. Its very frustrating to see these repeat error messages - despite 2 camera replacements! The specific messages were:
-Blindspot detection limited - camera visibility reduced
Lane departure feature limited - camera malfunction (or something to this extent)
Khoon, i wish your issues will get fixed soon.

Just got 2019.32.2.1 tonight ! Did not help...

Maybe just take it back to the hitch place and complain. They’ll need to take off the bumper cover again to get to the harness which is annoying but relatively simple. Maybe the harness is loose or something giving a bad ground or something, while the sensors still work. Really this is a total mystery if you can’t see any tweaked sensors, etc.

Or send a message to Tesla and see if they can diagnose it remotely.

I like the individual testing idea as well. Maybe one is not actually working as Daniel suggested.

Good morning. The final word came yesterday as I went back to the hitch installer. The issue was not related to the sensors, but to the blinker: the right rear lights had not been connected back. My first impression was that it was smart for AutoPilot to cancel changing lane when the blinker does not work. My second thought is that it would hve been much simpler to just tell the blinker did not work instead of the cryptic "Lane Departure Avoidance Limited". Anyway, I'm glad AutoPilot works again,

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Good morning. The final word came yesterday as I went back to the hitch installer. The issue was not related to the sensors, but to the blinker: the right rear lights had not been connected back. My first impression was that it was smart for AutoPilot to cancel changing lane when the blinker does not work. My second thought is that it would hve been much simpler to just tell the blinker did not work instead of the cryptic "Lane Departure Avoidance Limited". Anyway, I'm glad AutoPilot works again,

Good to know. Did your blinker rate change though? In most cars that would happen (I think it's a resistance detection circuit that determines the rate - used to be a direct change in the blinking circuit time constant I think, but these days it's probably fed into the computer which changes the rate - no idea what they do on a Tesla though).