Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Lane Keep Assist" - Telsa vs. Subaru Eyesight (My experience)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jebinc

Jun 19, 2019
Seattle area
Preface: First, let me say (to keep fanbois bashing at bay) I love my M3 and have no plans to get rid of it (except perhaps for a future M4) as it's a computer-controlled rocket on wheels….

Background: We own the M3, and two Subaru 3.6R Limited Outbacks with Eyesight Technology (2018 and 2016). Re "Lane Keep Assist" functionality, the 2018 default is "on" and the 2016 is "off" - both can be toggled on or off via steering wheel button.

Observation: For the "Lane Keep Assist" function, I find the Subaru much more evolved and functional than the M3 version - by far. It "just works" and is active all the time as I wander (no need to say, "learn how to drive, OP," or any variant thereof).

Question: For those of you with experience with both systems, what say you?

The Subaru is able to maintain position on all types of roads and through essentially any intersection?

Re this function, the Subaru provides this "Assist" service on many more roads then the M3 AP - including rural roads with just a center line to track. Is this because the Subaru has stereo front cameras? Dunno... Eyesight activates sooner as well. Wish the M3 had the Eyesight level of control and coverage for Lane Keep Assist, when in "Assist" mode (not AP). I'm sure future Tesla M3 updates will improve my M3 experience, but as of today, the Eyesight system does a better job at this "Assist" (not AP) function in particular.

Last edited:
You're comparing Tesla LDA to Subaru EyeSight, right? How does Subaru EyeSight compare to Tesla Autopilot? I was told that if you let go of the steering wheel in a Subaru it would ping-pong back and forth between the lane lines, whereas Autopilot is able to keep you nicely centered.

It doesn't - The Tesla AP is far superior. This is why I tried to be as clear as possible in my original post that I was just talking about the "Lane Keep Assist" function... when I'm just driving around without AP engaged - hence the Subaru term "Assist," not AP.

Most of the time I drive without AP engaged, as AP is limited as to where it works around me; and also has speed caps - causing me (when I have AP activated) to piss off all the people behind me as the lead car pulls away and drives faster than the AP speed cap will allow, etc. :(

Last edited:
Preface: First, let me say (to keep fanbois bashing at bay) I love my M3 and have no plans to get rid of it (except perhaps for a future M4) as it's a computer-controlled rocket on wheels….

Background: We own the M3, and two Subaru 3.6R Limited Outbacks with Eyesight Technology (2018 and 2016). Re "Lane Keep Assist" functionality, the 2018 default is "on" and the 2016 is "off" - both can be toggled on or off via steering wheel button.

Observation: For the "Lane Keep Assist" function, I find the Subaru much more evolved and functional than the M3 version - by far. It "just works" and is active all the time as I wander (no need to say, "learn how to drive, OP," or any variant thereof).

I don't own a Soobie. l really love AP but I am not a big fan of Tesla Lane Keep Assist in it's current iteration so I turned it off and set it to warning only. I found it would push me back into the lane when I purposely wanted to change lanes and I would often fight it. I tried it for a good few weeks, disabled it, tried it again and always the same results.

I thought AP will allow driver to set any speed up to 93 MPH when on highways and is not intended for use on other types of roads anyway?
Is that not correct?
Is the speed limit on a non-highway with AP limited to the actual speed limit of said road? While I can think of a couple of roads near me where the actual speed limit makes sense, most are well below what any car actually travels them in.

While the Lane Assist feedback is good to know I think most value Tesla for the AP ability much more than just basic Lane Assist.

Most of the features on M3 are very far from mature, and I suspect this is due to the ease at which they can update the fleet. They are much more likely to more or less just dump stuff out there and see how it goes, so long as they're sufficiently confident its not a safety risk. With other auto manufactures, they generally anticipate it needs to be as promised out of the gate so they don't have to bring the cars back in for updates. While Teslas approach is more likely to produce superior results long term, you're much more likely to have a long period where the functionality is worse than competitors. I think this is largely inherent to their approach. If they had a ton of funding maybe this would improve, but for the time being its probably just how things are.

There are people on the Tesla forum who attempt to distort reality by stating Subaru lane keep is superior to Tesla lane keep and then ignore the fact that Tesla has AP. The obfuscation is deliberate so readers understand it to be a claim that Subaru had better autonomous driving.

Despite your attempt to clearly state that's not what you're doing, it's having the same effect.

There are people on the Tesla forum who attempt to distort reality by stating Subaru lane keep is superior to Tesla lane keep and then ignore the fact that Tesla has AP. The obfuscation is deliberate so readers understand it to be a claim that Subaru had better autonomous driving.

Despite your attempt to clearly state that's not what you're doing, it's having the same effect.

I, as the OP, tried not to be one of those people when I created this post... just looking for comments from owners of both vehicles... Not sure I received any just yet! :)

I don't own a Soobie. l really love AP but I am not a big fan of Tesla Lane Keep Assist in it's current iteration so I turned it off and set it to warning only. I found it would push me back into the lane when I purposely wanted to change lanes and I would often fight it. I tried it for a good few weeks, disabled it, tried it again and always the same results.

Maybe you should use your blinkers more often. That way the car will know when you purposely want to change lanes.

Maybe you should use your blinkers...

I've had this back-and-forth with a few people here. I think the ultimate conclusion is that Tesla's current implementation of LDA and ELDA are very sensitive to regional differences. Some people like myself have LDA turned up to Assist and have never had it activate in thousands of miles. Some people get phantom events from it. It's all about the lane lines and the curvature of the road.

Does it fight you even if you signal before starting the lane change?

If you complain about this and change lanes without signaling... go stand in the corner !

I've been curious about comparing multiple vehicles to Tesla so this intrigues me. Do you use the Subaru Eyesight on surface roads or highways only?

If you use it on surface roads, how well does it handle going through intersections?

I understood him perfectly. :D

Reactions: Jase1125
@jebinc You would like Acura Lane Keep Assist System (LKAS) as it constantly steers the wheel to keep you centered. You just barely touch the wheel and it drives you around. If you want to drive you can feel the motor in the wheel pushing against you slightly.
  • "On straight or mildly curved roads, LKAS will work to maintain the car in the center of the lane.
  • The system is not designed to steer the car indefinitely. If it senses no steering input from the driver for over ten seconds, it will present a message instructing the driver to begin steering again." (Acura.com)
Personally, I think M3 LDA works well. It doesn't interfere with normal driving and requires you to go pretty close to the line before it activates. They say it works 25 mph+, but I think it's closer to 30 mph before it engages. ELDA has only gone off a couple times and only once was unnecessary (it didn't like a wall near me).

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
You would like Acura Lane Keep Assist System (LKAS) as it constantly steers the wheel to keep you centered. You just barely touch the wheel and it drives you around. If you want to drive you can feel the motor in the wheel pushing against you slightly.
  • On straight or mildly curved roads, LKAS will work to maintain the car in the center of the lane.
  • The system is not designed to steer the car indefinitely. If it senses no steering input from the driver for over ten seconds, it will present a message instructing the driver to begin steering again.

Same for Eyesight

Reactions: Snow Drift
@jebinc You would like Acura Lane Keep Assist System (LKAS) as it constantly steers the wheel to keep you centered. You just barely touch the wheel and it drives you around. If you want to drive you can feel the motor in the wheel pushing against you slightly.
  • "On straight or mildly curved roads, LKAS will work to maintain the car in the center of the lane.
  • The system is not designed to steer the car indefinitely. If it senses no steering input from the driver for over ten seconds, it will present a message instructing the driver to begin steering again." (Acura.com)
Personally, I think M3 LDA works well. It doesn't interfere with normal driving and requires you to go pretty close to the line before it activates. They say it works 25 mph+, but I think it's closer to 30 mph before it engages. ELDA has only gone off a couple times and only once was unnecessary (it didn't like a wall near me).

Thanks for the feedback!