Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Lane Keep Assist" - Telsa vs. Subaru Eyesight (My experience)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got model 3 with AP. Recently rented 2018 Subaru with lane keep assist for 2 days. Drove on same highways where I drive my 3 regularly. My AP style is hold onto wheel with light touch so I don't get nagged and I can take over in a flash, but the car is basically steering. The Tesla stays in its lane and does a minimum of "ping ponging" back and forth. It is bad where there is a merge lane... interprets as a wider lane and moves to the "middle". But the Subaru was bad everywhere. Never felt straight, always wandering in the lane. I remember early Tesla AP2 being pretty similar, but it has improved a LOT.

Agreed. "AP" engaged on the highway at highway speeds - the M3 wins, as Eyesight isn't an AP system; but that wasn't the requested comparison I was looking for. I was hoping for an apples-to-apples comparison of Eyesight Lane "Assist" to M3 Lane "Assist" (not AP) - and on non-highway roads. I believe the Eyesight to be far superior and functional on many more non-highway roads then the current M3 reedition - on those same roads. Any others have hands on experience with both?

I don't have a Model 3, but I did have a P85D and currently have an Outback 3.6R with Eyesight. For keeping in a lane, the Subaru system was a much better system (I have no idea how the Model 3 may be better than the Model S's system). In fact, for my uses the Subaru system is better than Tesla's autopilot, since I don't like handing over steering, braking, etc. to the car and Eyesight does exactly what I want...work in the background to keep me safe on the off chance I'm not paying attention. But as an autonomous-type system, it's not even close to Autopilot, if that's what you're looking for.

To be fair- your Tesla had AP1. The current AP2.5 system in the Model 3 is significantly more capable with 8 cameras instead of 1 and a better radar and ultrasonic suite (and more advanced computer)

I don't think anyone can argue that Tesla's implementation of LDA is perfect as it is, but to be fair it just came out within the last month or so. And hopefully OTA updates will mean that it will eventually be improved.

@willow_hiller - Really, I didn't know it was only a month old?! What I do like about the M3/Tesla implementation, is that you get updates and improvements over the air. To get the 2018 Eyesight improvements, I had to trade in the 2017! :mad:

I don't have my Model 3 yet, but I've been driving a 2018 Crosstrek with EyeSight for the past year and a half, and my impression is that AP is miles ahead of EyeSight's LKA.

First of all, EyeSight turns off LKA below a certain speed, somewhere around 35 MPH. Does AP have a minimum speed, or can you use it to creep along in traffic?

Secondly, EyeSight is not designed for hands free operation. It will ping pong you between the lane lines. If you have your hands off the wheel for too long, it will ding at you and turn off LKA. I understand AP is the same way, but AP's designed for hands free use. Trying to use EyeSight without hands would make for a very uncomfortable drive, and you might have some explaining to do when a cop pulls you over because he sees you swerving and thinks you're drunk.

With EyeSight, you still have to do all the work, it will just help nudge you back towards the center of the lane if you get too close to the lines.

EyeSight's adaptive cruise control is pretty good though, I use it all the time.

I don't have a Model 3, but I did have a P85D and currently have an Outback 3.6R with Eyesight. For keeping in a lane, the Subaru system was a much better system (I have no idea how the Model 3 may be better than the Model S's system). In fact, for my uses the Subaru system is better than Tesla's autopilot, since I don't like handing over steering, braking, etc. to the car and Eyesight does exactly what I want...work in the background to keep me safe on the off chance I'm not paying attention. But as an autonomous-type system, it's not even close to Autopilot, if that's what you're looking for.

I'm a little confused about what the OP is trying to compare.

Tesla recently introduced a quasi lane-keeping system for people who aren't using AP where it can guide them back if it goes over the line. That system can be compared to Subaru's system, but it's no where near as mature of Subaru's system.

Or the OP could be comparing a lane-keeping system to a lane-steering system which the two simply aren't comparable.

In my experience it's hard to compare Tesla things to "others" since some Tesla updates are better than others.

On average I vastly prefer the Tesla TACC system to either Subaru's or the ACC on my Jeep Wrangler. But, when Tesla ruins TACC on occasion it's almost unbearable.

I'm a little confused about what the OP is trying to compare.

Tesla recently introduced a quasi lane-keeping system for people who aren't using AP where it can guide them back if it goes over the line. That system can be compared to Subaru's system, but it's no where near as mature of Subaru's system.

As the OP, this is the comparison I'm after, and I agree with your assessment - the Tesla "lane-keeping" is inferior to the Subaru Lane Departure Assist. At the time of the original post, I thought perhaps it was just me not using the Telsa "lane-keeping" system correctly, but I guess not - it is as it appears to be. I was hoping otherwise...

Tesla's LDA, Land Departure Avoidance, feature is only a little over 2 months old. I'm sure they will make it better over time, which is something Subaru won't do for their cars.

Of course, they will never make LDA a replacement for Autosteer since that is a different feature which you used to have pay for. (And still do in some cases.) While LDA is free.

Tesla's LDA, Land Departure Avoidance, feature is only a little over 2 months old. I'm sure they will make it better over time, which is something Subaru won't do for their cars.

Of course, they will never make LDA a replacement for Autosteer since that is a different feature which you used to have pay for. (And still do in some cases.) While LDA is free.

The bolded statement above simply isn't true. We've had a 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 Outback in the family, since 2014. The Subaru Eyesight system continually improves - the only difference is you have to trade cars to get those improvements :eek:, as the only improvements that come via software updates have to due with the head unit, maps, and infotainment system. Our Subaru's, like the M3, connects to our wifi network every time we pull into the garage. :)

Reactions: Eclectic
My 2016 Subaru Outback's lane keeping assist works like Tesla's lane departure avoidance system. As I drift over the lane, it bounces me back. If I let go of the steering wheel, then the car will ping pong back and forth and eventually leave the lane, because the steering action is extremely poor. It's possible Subaru has improved the system, but they can't possibly expect me to buy a new car every year just to get the latest software. Every time I go in for an oil change, I ask if there's updated software and the answer's always no. Tesla AP's lane keeping and adaptive cruise control is definitely, without a doubt, better than Eyesight.

Reactions: MP3Mike
As the OP, this is the comparison I'm after, and I agree with your assessment - the Tesla "lane-keeping" is inferior to the Subaru Lane Departure Assist. At the time of the original post, I thought perhaps it was just me not using the Telsa "lane-keeping" system correctly, but I guess not - it is as it appears to be. I was hoping otherwise...

Full disclosure.

I've never used the Tesla LDA that they recently introduced so I can't comment on it's performance versus the Subaru system. I can't even comment on the Subaru system since I haven't used it either. When I do drive my moms Subaru the first thing I do is turn off the LDW, and on that one the LDA has to actually be activated. I believe her Outback is a 2017.

For the most part I tend to be anti LDW, and LDA since it's built on LDW.

It's mostly because any time I've tried LDW they end up being really annoying. The only vehicle I ever use it on is my Sprinter based Camper Van. It still annoys me from time to time, but when I drive it I'm usually driving for hours so it's there as a safety thing.

When I commented about Tesla's system I was simply referring to how well baked the system were. Subaru has had a bunch of revisions to their Eyesight system over the years. So my expectation is that it's pretty good. And, Tesla's system was just recently introduced so it probably has some issues. I never even gave it a chance as I turned it off on the very version that had it.

@willow_hiller - Really, I didn't know it was only a month old?! What I do like about the M3/Tesla implementation, is that you get updates and improvements over the air. To get the 2018 Eyesight improvements, I had to trade in the 2017! :mad:

First launched in early May: More Advanced Safety for Tesla Owners But it took me a while to get the update so maybe that's why I was thinking around 1 month.

Preface: First, let me say (to keep fanbois bashing at bay) I love my M3 and have no plans to get rid of it (except perhaps for a future M4) as it's a computer-controlled rocket on wheels….

Background: We own the M3, and two Subaru 3.6R Limited Outbacks with Eyesight Technology (2018 and 2016). Re "Lane Keep Assist" functionality, the 2018 default is "on" and the 2016 is "off" - both can be toggled on or off via steering wheel button.

Observation: For the "Lane Keep Assist" function, I find the Subaru much more evolved and functional than the M3 version - by far. It "just works" and is active all the time as I wander (no need to say, "learn how to drive, OP," or any variant thereof).

Question: For those of you with experience with both systems, what say you?

I have driven Subarus with EyeSight system and I find this assertion laughably wrong. First of all, Subaru system requires three button presses to turn on. It is impossible to determine its status while driving because the instrument cluster is overloaded with info and looks very confusing. Second, Subaru's system is absolutely not able to steer the car -- I had to take over almost immediately every time.

In comparison, Tesla system is amazing. There is audible confirmation and clear indication in the instrument cluster, so you know immediately whether the system is on or off. The way to turn the system on and off is very intuitive, quick and easy (not three buttons.) It works amazingly well for 90% of my driving -- if I hold the wheel just right, I can drive for HOURS without taking over.

• Disagree
Reactions: jebinc and Eclectic
My 2016 Subaru Outback's lane keeping assist works like Tesla's lane departure avoidance system. As I drift over the lane, it bounces me back. If I let go of the steering wheel, then the car will ping pong back and forth and eventually leave the lane, because the steering action is extremely poor. It's possible Subaru has improved the system, but they can't possibly expect me to buy a new car every year just to get the latest software. Every time I go in for an oil change, I ask if there's updated software and the answer's always no. Tesla AP's lane keeping and adaptive cruise control is definitely, without a doubt, better than Eyesight.

Agreed, but as I said several times in this thread now, we aren’t looking for a comparison of Tesla’s AP to Eyesight LDA. Thanks for sharing as a Subaru owner. :)

Why would anyone use that feature?!!! If you are not on AP, you are able to maintain the car in your lane. Why would anyone want "assist?"

I am so confused about the purpose of this.

• Disagree
Reactions: Msjulie and jebinc
Agreed, but as I said several times in this thread now, we aren’t looking for a comparison of Tesla’s AP to Eyesight LDA. Thanks for sharing as a Subaru owner. :)

Thanks for the clarification. When it comes to Tesla LDA compared to Subaru LKA, I still believe that the Tesla system works better. The main reason is at the Subaru system needs very well marked lines in order to operate and there's a longer turn-on delay when transitioning from one road surface to another. In contrast, the Tesla system can track curbs, fences, Botts' dots, road edges where the road ends into dirt and gravel, and other poorly defined edges of roadways.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I have driven Subarus with EyeSight system and I find this assertion laughably wrong. First of all, Subaru system requires three button presses to turn on. It is impossible to determine its status while driving because the instrument cluster is overloaded with info and looks very confusing. Second, Subaru's system is absolutely not able to steer the car -- I had to take over almost immediately every time.

In comparison, Tesla system is amazing. There is audible confirmation and clear indication in the instrument cluster, so you know immediately whether the system is on or off. The way to turn the system on and off is very intuitive, quick and easy (not three buttons.) It works amazingly well for 90% of my driving -- if I hold the wheel just right, I can drive for HOURS without taking over.

I'm so sorry that you are laughing, but know it's on you. It appears you replied without reading any of the posts in this thread, other than perhaps post #1. Given this, and to spare other following members, I'm not going to correct your false statements.

Those here that are following this thread, have, sod the laugh is on you. :oops: Enough said. :rolleyes:

Thanks to everyone else who have been following the thread and who have provided meaningful and thoughtful input! :)

Why would anyone use that feature?!!! If you are not on AP, you are able to maintain the car in your lane. Why would anyone want "assist?"

I am so confused about the purpose of this.

See my reply to your last post, Hint: Try reading more than the first post as not to waste everyone' else's time with your questions, questions that have already been "Asked and Answered". Move on, please.

Last edited: