Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Last of the 2020’s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received my VIN about a week ago, 50xxx. I currently do not have date set for pick up. My order is for a Blue/black long range with tow.

I see the 2021’s are already coming and there seems to be no deal with the passing of September for 2020’s.

I’m conflicted having a VIN that appears pretty old. Any advice?

thanks.

Received my VIN about a week ago, 50xxx. I currently do not have date set for pick up. My order is for a Blue/black long range with tow.

I see the 2021’s are already coming and there seems to be no deal with the passing of September for 2020’s.

I’m conflicted having a VIN that appears pretty old. Any advice?

thanks.

I just ordered mine, and I want one of the new refreshed model 3's, preferably a 2021 vin. My question to you guys is when I am assigned the vin how do I know if it is a 2021 newer
vin or not?

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Because in Tesla-land the model year is a meaningless number, and the OP is holding it to a psychological belief that "one newer" is "one better"?
Why do you suggest that they hope to reject it and start over? Talk about a waste of time and effort, and a loss of revenue for Tesla, over a warm fuzzy feeling...

You are not thinking of the future where a 2021 will resell for a higher value than a 2020. That’s a loss of money for the consumer. I care about my revenue in the future more than Tesla’s revenue now.

Because in Tesla-land the model year is a meaningless number, and the OP is holding it to a psychological belief that "one newer" is "one better"?
Why do you suggest that they hope to reject it and start over? Talk about a waste of time and effort, and a loss of revenue for Tesla, over a warm fuzzy feeling...

Elon, is that you?

Imagine spending a few thousand more for different letter on your VIN in a few years when you are shopping used cars. Same build, odometer and features. Maybe VINs with 69xxx will be highly sought after too, like a rare Pokemon card. The ultimate unicorn with VIN 69420 worth 10k+ more.

• Funny
Reactions: 907XCP
No. but i think the OP's thoughts are from the outdated "MY" importance we have all dealt with when purchasing an ICE car. the fact that these cars are updated OTA and look identical for a long time changes (at least my mind) things.

Remember buying one MY say Chevrolet and the following MY car/SUV had a better center console design or steering wheel, buttons etc... I don't see that with Tesla which is a nice thing.

So, I started this thread mainly because I was concerned that the VIN I was assigned, 50xxx, appears so much lower than those being reported today in 60 plus range. In fact, it was only yesterday that I was able to choose a pick up day for the coming Saturday. I realize the numbers are not exactly sequential, this 10,000 vehicle range seems to go beyond this reality. Simply put, why is this car still available? The 2021 point is less crucial to me, but is still a valid issue as described above.

So, Saturday will be the judge whether my concerns are valid Or I should “just get over it” as iluvmacs suggested.

So, I started this thread mainly because I was concerned that the VIN I was assigned, 50xxx, appears so much lower than those being reported today in 60 plus range. In fact, it was only yesterday that I was able to choose a pick up day for the coming Saturday. I realize the numbers are not exactly sequential, this 10,000 vehicle range seems to go beyond this reality. Simply put, why is this car still available? The 2021 point is less crucial to me, but is still a valid issue as described above.

So, Saturday will be the judge whether my concerns are valid Or I should “just get over it” as iluvmacs suggested.

There may be some changes in a somewhat newer vehicle if you wait, however that would be true at any time you buy a Tesla. They frequently change things, often with no notice. The things that could be different might be very important to you, however the main reasons for buying that Tesla will be the same:
Design
Performance
Superior technology
Environmentally friendly
OTA upgrades
Supercharger network

Playing the waiting game is, IMHO, tension inducing and frustrating. If you really want a Tesla, just jump in and buy one that you like when you read about it and drive it, knowing that something better is always around the corner. I love my Tesla with over 10k miles, and would not trade in the enjoyment I have had from it for the improvements that have come since I bought it.

Reactions: ElectricIAC

Go look at the car and make your decision. Yes, VIN's are not sequential but they do trend upwards. If you ask your sales associate for the build date, they can provide it and you will know exactly what date the car was built. I hope its not an end of quarter reject, good luck.

Go look at the car and make your decision. Yes, VIN's are not sequential but they do trend upwards. If you ask your sales associate for the build date, they can provide it and you will know exactly what date the car was built. I hope its not an end of quarter reject, good luck.
If it’s discounted decently and accordingly I couldn’t give two craps what “year” it is, personally.

The OP's desire for a new model year is justified and shared by most of us.
Yea, we know Tesla's past has been to NOT follow the rest of the Automotive Industry with refreshes, trade-in values etc,
Yea, its been reported that the build date (month/week) is more important - well the model year IS another build date identifier and that has a significant influence on trade in values, insurance costs, and so on.

Also - it looks like the 2021 Model 3 is getting a refresh - perhaps that signifies a shift in the continuum.

You are not thinking of the future where a 2021 will resell for a higher value than a 2020. That’s a loss of money for the consumer. I care about my revenue in the future more than Tesla’s revenue now.

I can understand the OP’s desire for a 2021 model year...but you think in the future, a Oct 2020 build is gonna fetch a higher selling price than a Sep 2020 build?

If the specs are the same then they it won’t...