Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest Price Drop Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If folks are angry now just wait until FSD comes included with the car. ;) You know that is eventually coming. I wouldn't be surprised if they include $6-8k worth of FSD and just raise the price of the car $2-3k. As the competition begins to show up they will use FSD as a competitive differentiator price lever and bundle it in the price of the car.
They did a fire sale on FSD last month, it was only $2k for many owners or free for owners who purchased EAP.

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
As an Aussie, born '47, I'm prepared to not be the first kid on the block to buy _either_ the Model 3 OR the Model Y when they eventually hit our shores. With standard versions of each, made in China, selling at A$72K, I'm not prepared to pay the prices initially asked here. Yes, we want a Tesla, but no, we're not prepared to waste ten or twenty thousand dollars on an EV, simply to be early adopters or influencers.

I bought my model 3 SR+ 9 days ago and opted for the upgrade to the White I sent multiple emails upset when I saw the decrease of $2400. I thought Tesla was going to tell me to kick rocks but they said I would receive a check in 30-45 days for the refunded amount. Hopefully nothing crazier happens in that time period.

• Informative
Reactions: abasile
If the drop in price was small to even moderate - I would be absolutely fine with it. I was an early adopter - I am proud that my money was able to help Tesla on its great mission. And I am completely thrilled with the car - big time cheer leader for the tech. Convinced a few friends through constant badgering to also buy car.

The fact that now you can buy the same car I bought ( actually better car - explanation coming) for 10K less is obnoxious. And it isn't that I am jealous of new buyers, but it is wrong on so many levels.

Fact - in Sept of 18 I bought a performance model 3. I paid $74,500. The only options I didn't get was the performance upgrade tires and brakes. I opted for the 18" rims, quite honestly because I had reached my mental limit with cost of car.

Fact 2 - 10 months later I can configure this same car for $62990. More than 11K less. And now you get all those extra's, upgraded brakes, 20" rims, higher top speed, carbon fiber spoiler, performance pedals. Heck my car didn't even get the badging. That is not right. I am not jealous of new buyers, but why shouldn't I be disappointed? Tesla just devalued my resale value big time. No dealer reduces a car price that much in first year, not even close.

Problems with this:
1. first early adopters naturally feel a bit taken advantage
2. value of car dropped unnaturally fast, not due to market, due to Tesla making a poor decision
3. Tesla is not yet profitable. Sales volume is up but they need to show profit. Why reduce premium version of car which is supposed to make profit so dramatically? I understand chasing 35K base model for mass appeal. But Performance model is not supposed to be that.

In my case I am really frustrated. The fact that now those extra performance options are essentially free- is really disappointing. As I said, the value of my investment has just dropped for no good reason I can see. And yeah, it stings. Yes I was able to take advantage of the full $7500 tax credit. And yes with that credit the $11500 gap is smaller, but remember I didn't get all the extras back then as a "early adopter".

Would you not be upset?

The cars are great and I love the performance model 3, BUT

I bought my M3P+ in January for $73 000 (+taxes, delivery, etc) with FSD, white interior and white multicoat paint.

Today that car costs $62 000

Factor in my additional $1875 rebate and I've lost $9125 in 6 months, plus normal depreciation. Now tell me again about how my car is actually an appreciating asset

I like a lot of things about Tesla, but Musk's slimy sales tactics and compulsive lying are major issues with the company. I bought a Tesla believing in the vision and now I feel like a sucker who bought into a scam. I will definitely try hard to avoid buying a Tesla next time around. It's sad, but the brand has about the same prestige as VW to me at this point.
I would like to see Tesla throw the people who just bought days before the price change a bone. Maybe let them apply the difference to full self Driving Or Put the difference in charging account or Extended warranty. Maybe give them a discount on future Purchase .I bought in Louisiana and the day that I could legally drive my new car is when they changed the price. I rushed to get it done before losing ~$1800 of Incentive. So I feel stupid right now. I am glad that they’re making price more competitive. Just Throw us l a bone! I bought an x , I would purchase a 3 or y In the near future if they would Apply the price drop X to A new Tesla purchase. Now I’m going to be reluctant to make another purchase.

• Funny
If the drop in price was small to even moderate - I would be absolutely fine with it. I was an early adopter - I am proud that my money was able to help Tesla on its great mission. And I am completely thrilled with the car - big time cheer leader for the tech. Convinced a few friends through constant badgering to also buy car.

The fact that now you can buy the same car I bought ( actually better car - explanation coming) for 10K less is obnoxious. And it isn't that I am jealous of new buyers, but it is wrong on so many levels.

Fact - in Sept of 18 I bought a performance model 3. I paid $74,500. The only options I didn't get was the performance upgrade tires and brakes. I opted for the 18" rims, quite honestly because I had reached my mental limit with cost of car.

Fact 2 - 10 months later I can configure this same car for $62990. More than 11K less. And now you get all those extra's, upgraded brakes, 20" rims, higher top speed, carbon fiber spoiler, performance pedals. Heck my car didn't even get the badging. That is not right. I am not jealous of new buyers, but why shouldn't I be disappointed? Tesla just devalued my resale value big time. No dealer reduces a car price that much in first year, not even close.

Problems with this:
1. first early adopters naturally feel a bit taken advantage
2. value of car dropped unnaturally fast, not due to market, due to Tesla making a poor decision
3. Tesla is not yet profitable. Sales volume is up but they need to show profit. Why reduce premium version of car which is supposed to make profit so dramatically? I understand chasing 35K base model for mass appeal. But Performance model is not supposed to be that.

In my case I am really frustrated. The fact that now those extra performance options are essentially free- is really disappointing. As I said, the value of my investment has just dropped for no good reason I can see. And yeah, it stings. Yes I was able to take advantage of the full $7500 tax credit. And yes with that credit the $11500 gap is smaller, but remember I didn't get all the extras back then as a "early adopter".

Would you not be upset?
Yes! I, too, took a big hit. Every intelligent person realizes they take a substantial hit as soon as the car is titled. People buy new, I'll assume, as I do, because they don't want someone else's mistake/discard. But what Tesla is doing is more Magic 8 Ball. This is a bad look. Either Elon should keep his mouth shut or...nah...keep his mouth shut. What they are doing reeks of desperation. Yes, I get there are Tesla fan boys and girls but threads like this or the one about HW3 or the one about FSD simply don't wear well with prospective customers. They make a compelling argument Tesla and/or Musk routinely are, perhaps, deliberately are misleading (lying) to their customers.

• Informative
What has happened is that with its direct to consume pricing (a) Tesla pulled back the "dealer curtain" to reveal the Wizard, and (b) yet another one for the "there are some upsides and downsides" to everything file.

Its not a counter argument, but up until Tesla people just accepted the fact that the following occurred every year: (1) you could buy a "2019" model starting in fall 2018, (2) by summer 2019 the "2019's" would be on sale because everyone knows that the 2020's are about to come out, and (3) regardless of whether the "2020's" are actually better than the "2019s" ten months after you bought your "2019" its about to be "de-valued" by the manufacturer. No auto manufacturer, or dealer, has ever said, "yeah, the 2020's are the same as the 2019s, its all marketing."

And typically, the 2020's would be more expensive than the 2019s. However, there is absolutely no question that a person who bought a 2019 in fall 2018 would pay more for the exact same car sold in the summer of 2019.

But the auto manu facturers had everyone beaten into submission by the system.

Now, the complaints here are real, becuase Tesla is not hiding its pricing, and, more importantly, Tesla is not doing the "model year con game"

Otherwise, someone who bought a Model 3 in the fall of 2018 would fully expect the same car to be discounted today.

But that is becuase there would be a supposed "2020 Model 3" about to be sold with a minimal cosmetic change.

I don't know if it automatically follows that there is a major effect on the used car prices though. That is now going to be very much based on mileage and condition, becuase with a Tesla you can't play the "model year game."

Plus, between fall 2018 and today, in California, the combined Fed and State reducted incentives have droppd by over $8k, and that was not dependent on the price of the car.

Its not like Tesla has a financing arm which can play with the financing so that the actual cost to the public can be "managed." Tesla has not control over the loss of those incentives.

There basically had to be a price drop, unless the company could handle the effect of the "price increase" which just hit.

Fact 2 - 10 months later I can configure this same car for $62990. More than 11K less.

Fact 3- you also got to trade your FUSC (no longer offered on the cheaper car) for a $5000 refund, and you were eligible for $5625 more tax credit.

You also got $350 of extra stuff new cars don't (homelink, 14-50 adapter, and phone cables) and a $200 lower destination fee.

That's $11,175 worth of refunds, credits, hw, etc...

So you paid... $335 total extra than someone buying today based on the 74.5k and 62.990 prices you gave.

And you almost certainly saved more than that in not buying gas for whatever you were driving before over the 10 months you've had it.