Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest Price Drop Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The price cuts hurt though when they keep dropping the price faster than you can pay it off let alone factoring in depreciation. I will certainly hesitate to buy another Tesla although I do like my car when it's not in the shop.

Not all of us have had our cars for a year already, 8 months here, but it's been in the shop for over 2 of those. Of course I was still driving around an S for that time.

Oh well. Fool me once...

Reactions: rembaz
Yes, $10k is nothing to sneeze at for lots of people. I also think that this is handled terribly by Tesla, esp. because it’d be easy for them to soothe the anger with little effective cost to them. Offer some perks to make people happy. Happy = repeat customer. Puzzled by the ineptness. It can’t be that many people who really got a raw deal (P3 white delivered between July 1st 2019 and the price cut). It’d be wise of Tesla to take the sting off of these people who feel screwed.

That said, it’s pointless to get angry over this and it’s outright false to call this a scam because Tesla NEVER promised price stability so as long as they deliver what is in the MVPA, it’s not a scam. Now FSD is another story.

Price cuts help the owners....

Cheaper car means more people buy the car.

More people buying the car means more funds and data (neural net) being fed to tesla.

More money means a healthier tesla which is good for all owners.

More data for Neural Net means sooner FSD which is good for all owners.

Put all this together it means our cars hold resale value better (worth more not less) and we get FSD automation that much sooner.

• Disagree
Reactions: Lobstahz
Any other P3D owners getting tired of continuous tesla force depreciation? Tesla has depreciated my car 25% since I bought it and it has likely depreciated another 25% due to use. I am still underwater on my 2018 vs buying new. My trade in is probably around 50% of what I paid 10 mths ago.

I get the mission and what not but $15k in price cuts less than one year of release is just ridiculous.

Teslas excessive price cuts are a disservice to its loyal customers that dropped $1000 down on a reservation 3 years ago.

https://electrek.co/2019/07/18/tesl...dEFtEAVvOBntX4sMDanZVWLYIQ5ZwtLD_kCjJzxhJtWJw
You purchased a new technology, not a car. You cannot use standard depreciation mindsets.

I purchased a new 2015 LG 65EF9500 OLED for $6k when it was released because I wanted to own the newest OLED technology. By the end of 2015, the price had dropped to $4k. Now just 4 years later you can get a brand new 65" C8 OLED for $1.5k with 4x the resolution, HDR, HFR, ect. If I sold my 4 year old OLED, I'd probably get $500 at most for a 92% depreciation.

If you want the newest tech, you're going to pay for the privilege.

There is no reason to advertise when there is more demand than actual product. It would only hurt the company and paint them in a bad light. Until they can supply the extra demand that advertising would create, it would be a terrible decision.
If there is more demand than supply, that logic indicates that prices should go up, not down - which his counter to the OP's statement. I am in the camp of being annoyed with Elon's messaging versus what ends up being reality. If Tesla would have stated that prices would come down (for the same car) as production efficencies increase, then I would have waited. Rather, Elon framed all this as the early adopters would get the perks, not those who waited 6-12 months.

People have a right to be unhappy with Tesla's approach to pricing, just like others have the right to take the "Tesla can do no wrong" viewpoint.

The price cuts hurt though when they keep dropping the price faster than you can pay it off let alone factoring in depreciation. I will certainly hesitate to buy another Tesla although I do like my car when it's not in the shop.

Not all of us have had our cars for a year already, 8 months here, but it's been in the shop for over 2 of those. Of course I was still driving around an S for that time.

Oh well. Fool me once...
Or you could just learn from your mistakes, buy used and let someone else eat the upfront costs.

If there is more demand than supply, that logic indicates that prices should go up, not down - which his counter to the OP's statement..

Again someone telling Elon Musk how to run a business. Can you please post your credentials on running a billion dollar corporation?

Here are Elons for comparison:

In December 2016, he was ranked 21st on the Forbes list of The World's Most Powerful People. He has a net worth of $22.3 billion and is listed by Forbes as the 40th-richest person in the world

I have a feeling, his is going to be stronger.... I think he is more qualified to set the prices on Tesla cars than scubastevo80 from New Jersey.

That may be for some people. But I couldn't give a rats ass about what kind of car people see me in. I bought a Stealth P3D because I like the way it drives and the low cost of operation. When it's just me, or me and my wife, cruising down a beautiful backroad and the car is hugging every curve and acting like an extension of my mind, it's priceless. I could deny myself that pleasure, but why?

For me, it's all about the car, it has nothing to do with vanity. If you don't appreciate driving a nice car, just drive a 12-year-old Honda Accord with a small amount of coolant smell and exhaust leaking into the cabin. You'll save money. The question is, what are you going to spend that money on that you DIDN'T spend on the Model 3 that will improve every day of your life more than the priceless feeling of driving a truly modern, safe and fun car like the Model 3. And how do you value the health, safety and comfort of you and your family?

I'm all about being financially responsible but that doesn't make me a miser.

“Life is not a dress rehearsal”! Enjoy your M3 everyone!

Reactions: SO16
So, let's do the math. You paid $70k? You think someone buying your car today is only paying $55k, about $15k less. That's still only 21% less. AND, you haven't even figured in the tax credit change from $7500 to $1875. That's 8% of the difference, so the real price change is 13%. But, is it?

For $70k, you also got EAP. For a buyer today, they have to buy FSD to get the functions of EAP, so add $6k to their price, now their price is $61k, so the difference is about 13%, but take away that 8% for the tax credit, and bingo, the real difference is only 5%.

Oh, and did you get free supercharging? Yes, I think you did. Didn't Tesla offer to give $5k back for those who didn't want unlimited supercharging? If you had accepted that offer, you might actually be ahead, rather than behind.

Any other P3D owners getting tired of continuous tesla force depreciation? Tesla has depreciated my car 25% since I bought it and it has likely depreciated another 25% due to use. I am still underwater on my 2018 vs buying new. My trade in is probably around 50% of what I paid 10 mths ago.

I get the mission and what not but $15k in price cuts less than one year of release is just ridiculous.

Teslas excessive price cuts are a disservice to its loyal customers that dropped $1000 down on a reservation 3 years ago.

https://electrek.co/2019/07/18/tesl...dEFtEAVvOBntX4sMDanZVWLYIQ5ZwtLD_kCjJzxhJtWJw

Yes, $10k is nothing to sneeze at for lots of people. I also think that this is handled terribly by Tesla, esp. because it’d be easy for them to soothe the anger with little effective cost to them. Offer some perks to make people happy. Happy = repeat customer. Puzzled by the ineptness. It can’t be that many people who really got a raw deal (P3 white delivered between July 1st 2019 and the price cut). It’d be wise of Tesla to take the sting off of these people who feel screwed.

That said, it’s pointless to get angry over this and it’s outright false to call this a scam because Tesla NEVER promised price stability so as long as they deliver what is in the MVPA, it’s not a scam. Now FSD is another story.
I think you've hit the nail on the head and that the one thing that Tesla can be criticized for here is creating customer dissatisfaction. However, I also think they don't care if people who bought in 2017 or 2018 are dissatisfied with pricing changes and I don't think they should care.

It's clear that Tesla is setting these cars up to be held well beyond the common 3 to 5 year period that most people associate with new car ownership. They are offering 8-year warranties on the two most critical parts. They are financing 6-year loans. They've made it very unattractive to lease.

I think Tesla is betting that the holding period for these cars by the majority of original owners is going to be 7-8 years. And after 7-8 years, when they're shopping for a new car, will people still be upset that prices went down in 2019 and 2020? A few will, but most, probably won't be, if they're happy with the car's performance during that span. Plus, they'll probably be happy they can buy a new car cheaper in the future. So really their satisfaction right now (related to pricing) doesn't carry a lot of weight based upon what appear to be Tesla's plans.

Tesla's playing the odds here and betting on long holding periods. If someone's planning to hold this car for two years and then trade/sell, sure they're worse now than before. But those people should expect that to be the case when they buy a car from a new company based on new technology (or really any car).

Reactions: Lobstahz and Joshan
I could have spent all that savings for more avocado toast and pumpkin spice lattes.

Instead of taking sweet Instagram selfies at exotic destinations this summer, my basic broke ass is sipping la croix while furiously downvoting Tesla fanboys on Reddit making excuses that the ebb and flow of supply, demand, afc, avc, mr=Mc, economy of scale and all that nonsense is no excuse to devalue my car more and more every month!

Just kidding. Xennial over here, I can’t comprehend just not letting things be enjoying the purchase you willingly made.

You all need serenity to accept the things you cannot change, the courage to change the things you can and the wisdom to know the difference. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Joshan
If there is more demand than supply, that logic indicates that prices should go up, not down - which his counter to the OP's statement. I am in the camp of being annoyed with Elon's messaging versus what ends up being reality. If Tesla would have stated that prices would come down (for the same car) as production efficencies increase, then I would have waited. Rather, Elon framed all this as the early adopters would get the perks, not those who waited 6-12 months.

People have a right to be unhappy with Tesla's approach to pricing, just like others have the right to take the "Tesla can do no wrong" viewpoint.
If you understand supply and demand, then you should have understood that prices would likely decrease as efficiencies increase.