Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest Price Drop Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heads Up Display - I am not sure why Tesla invested so much time on Track Mode but did not include a HUD or Performance Data Recorder application. The dash cam and sensors are there and you know they collect all the telemetry data since they used it to develop Track Mode. Just display the stuff on the screen. 0-60, 1/4 mile, lap timers, g-meters should be easily displayed.
I had a HUD in my 2012 Prius Plugin Advanced. All models should have that. The P3D is still a consumer road car. How many times do you need to do 0-60 before you conclude what the acceleration is. I'm pretty sure Amazon will sell you a G-force meter if you live at a track. But, again, it's a consumer road vehicle.

How many times do you need to do 0-60 before you conclude what the acceleration is. I'm pretty sure Amazon will sell you a G-force meter if you live at a track. But, again, it's a consumer road vehicle.

Agreed, but you have to think like a performance enthusiast. The Internet is filled with videos of owners testing their acceleration times. Furthermore, the M3P is a Performance Sedan EV with a Track Mode tune built in, which means it has been designed and tested to run on the track. The point is to try and create value in the M3P instead of just continuing to drop the price.

Reactions: Octo
Knightshade I don't understand. What is FUSC? I had no trade in. And if I did that would have meant I gave them something of value instead of cash. Less the tax incentive I am still short $5k+ the options they now give for free.

FUSC is free unlimited supercharging.... the earlier set of P3D- buyers (and P3D+ for that matter) got it, and then got the chance to trade it back into Tesla for a $5000 refund.... thus why most of them who took that and the full tax credit aren't anywhere near as behind on price versus a new P3D- today as they keep insisting they are, per the math I provided earlier.

• Informative
Reactions: liuping
Agreed, but you have to think like a performance enthusiast. The Internet is filled with videos of owners testing their acceleration times. Furthermore, the M3P is a Performance Sedan EV with a Track Mode tune built in, which means it has been designed and tested to run on the track. The point is to try and create value in the M3P instead of just continuing to drop the price.
I totally get it. I grew up in the Boss 309 Mustang and 60's 'Vette crowd and the mark of how enthusiastic you were was how much tire you left routinely on the road. And they were far less expensive then. The good news is we outgrew it though. For a P3D, it's 3.1 secs. I'm sure you've heard the saying, "do as I say, not as I do"? Yeah, and we didn't invent that saying either. It's all good. I went to a Tesla store opening yesterday and ran across two teenagers who were on their second P3D as they totaled the first one. It grieves me to say this but there is just something offensive about that. $75 large is a *sugar* load of money. That first P3D probably cost them $2,000 as their insurance company paid for the rest of it.

Reactions: jgs
FUSC is free unlimited supercharging.... the earlier set of P3D- buyers (and P3D+ for that matter) got it, and then got the chance to trade it back into Tesla for a $5000 refund.... thus why most of them who took that and the full tax credit aren't anywhere near as behind on price versus a new P3D- today as they keep insisting they are, per the math I provided earlier.

That's a good point and and makes me feel slightly better. The buy back on FUSC was not well publicized, at least not from what I saw. I still have it. I guess had I taken advantage of that I would have less to lament. But your math assumes all these things that could have been done to reduce cost. With that logic then you should add what the "+" option would have cost me at the time( since that is now free). So my 11500 Delta calculation would have been more like 16500 ( or more can't remember now). Anyway you look at it, Tesla has prematurely reduced the value of their top line model 3 version too aggressively. That cuts the legs out of my resale value ( not that I am selling) - and yes I understand all cars depreciate quickly. But this is forced depreciation from the manufacturer inside a 10 month window on top of normal depreciation. No bueno and IMO not smart for their premium version.

• Helpful
Reactions: Leafdriver333
That cuts the legs out of my resale value ( not that I am selling) - and yes I understand all cars depreciate quickly.

Yet, for all the hand wringing going on over “resale value” ..... I’m not seeing that as an issue.

Will it remain this way? Who knows. But if someone (obviously not you ritchieboyroy! I know you’re not selling and love the car ...) bought a Model 3 because they wanted a super high resale value, I suggest doing us all a favor... sell it right freakin’ now, get your resale dollars, and pass the car on to someone who’ll appreciate it for what it is.

76297DE4-5014-437F-B5D6-884B5D6A60E2.jpeg

Reactions: jgs
This thread should obviously be mostly useful for people considering buying a new Tesla, especially performance options. And the consideration should be that the cost of ownership may end up considerably higher than one can predict and that it should be incorporated into decision making on buy vs lease and on Tesla vs other brands.

Yet I see majority of comments are from folks who want to distort the picture, suppress a productive discussion and stay in the "happy" echo chamber. It makes me feel sorry I took time to write a thoughtful response because it gets lost in the sea of mild throlling responses that make this excellent forum much less useful.
(Typed on a phone)

• Informative
Yet, for all the hand wringing going on over “resale value” ..... I’m not seeing that as an issue.

Will it remain this way? Who knows. But if someone (obviously not you ritchieboyroy! I know you’re not selling and love the car ...) bought a Model 3 because they wanted a super high resale value, I suggest doing us all a favor... sell it right freakin’ now, get your resale dollars, and pass the car on to someone who’ll appreciate it for what it is.

View attachment 432322

I hope you are right for the sake of the brand. But I am sort of doubting any of these used cars are getting bought at that price. They did before. In your example they are showing that car for $55900, but you could configure brand new for same price. This is exactly my point. I bet that car doesn't sell. I bet those type adds drop asking price into 40's very soon.

The cars are great and I love the performance model 3, BUT

I bought my M3P+ in January for $73 000 (+taxes, delivery, etc) with FSD, white interior and white multicoat paint.

Today that car costs $62 000

Factor in my additional $1875 rebate and I've lost $9125 in 6 months, plus normal depreciation. Now tell me again about how my car is actually an appreciating asset

I like a lot of things about Tesla, but Musk's slimy sales tactics and compulsive lying are major issues with the company. I bought a Tesla believing in the vision and now I feel like a sucker who bought into a scam. I will definitely try hard to avoid buying a Tesla next time around. It's sad, but the brand has about the same prestige as VW to me at this point.

I get how you feel. The day after I bought my M3 the price dropped $2000. ($1000 for the base model price, $1000 because my paint became a standard option.) When I found this out, I was wracked by cognitive dissonance. On the one hand, I felt a little cheated. But on the other hand, I recognize that Tesla is a cutting edge, vertically-integrated, fast-moving company that operates in a hard capitalist framework to achieve astonishing goals; to do so it needs to react to every factor efficiently. So my feeling of loss is offset by the knowledge that in some way I am benefitting because the company will be taking my money and developing the car I own and upgrading it whilst I own it.

Then I went in and mentioned it to the guy in the showroom and he gave me a check for $2000.

Now that's awesome customer care. I get to keep my feel-good new car owner winning sensation. I wonder how many people who bought their cars this week did not find out about this.

• Informative
I hope you are right for the sake of the brand. But I am sort of doubting any of these used cars are getting bought at that price. They did before. In your example they are showing that car for $55900, but you could configure brand new for same price. This is exactly my point. I bet that car doesn't sell. I bet those type adds drop asking price into 40's very soon.

I chose that one because someone already hit the “buy” button on it. Here’s a couple more already sold from eBay Motors ..... I honestly don’t think this is as big a deal in the broader market as it’s made out to be.

30AD64F8-12A2-4E37-8C58-AB22B38ED319.jpeg

• Funny
With that logic then you should add what the "+" option would have cost me at the time( since that is now free).

but it's not free.

Now that the P3D- is back it is, once again, $5000 more for the + option compared to it.

So the math remains the same as what I listed you "overpaid" by a little over $300 compared to almost a year ago.

Hardly worth the nashing of teeth and hand wringing going on- especially when you doubtless saved more than that not buying gas in that time.

There's certainly some folks who've fallen between the cracks of price changes and saw real thousands-of-dollars even after all the math is done changes, but they're pretty few and far between (and mostly just the small #of US P owners who bought after the last increase but 8 or more days before the latest drop)

I chose that one because someone already hit the “buy” button on it. Here’s a couple more already sold from eBay Motors ..... I honestly don’t think this is as big a deal in the broader market as it’s made out to be.

View attachment 432330
I hate to say I told you so, but that was one of my first predictions...that the Performance model especially, but Model 3s in general would be big on the Used Car circuit w/i a year. It's a pricey car and many people who can't afford the 'mortgage' on it will realize that and sell it. And before I get any blow-back, I realize that and $2.00 will get me a cup of lousy coffee. I do find it annoying Tesla is playing with the price but I bought mine with the intent I'd hang onto it for 10+ yrs so it's daily price is irrelevant.

• Love
Reactions: Kant.Ing
I hate to say I told you so, but that was one of my first predictions...that the Performance model especially, but Model 3s in general would be big on the Used Car circuit w/i a year. It's a pricey car and many people who can't afford the 'mortgage' on it will realize that and sell it. And before I get any blow-back, I realize that and $2.00 will get me a cup of lousy coffee. I do find it annoying Tesla is playing with the price but I bought mine with the intent I'd hang onto it for 10+ yrs so it's daily price is irrelevant.
In ten years what will you do with it? What do you think the value will be?
Effective range?

Battery warranty is for 75% after 8 years.
In ten years if the battery degrades to 75% it will give me 180 miles which is more like 130 miles because I won't be driving below 20% battery. It will be only a commuter car.
I doubt I will get a new battery for it for $5000.(?)

Nah, no blowback at all.... but I’d disagree with the notion that it’s “big” on the used circuit. Popular, yes. In demand, absolutely. Massive supply of them? Hardly. In fact, I see very few - relatively speaking, of course - on the market.

For comparison sake ... my previous vehicle was a Cadillac XT5. Caddy sells ~60k of them per year. Top seller for Cadillac. Been on the market since 2016. Cumulative sales, about 160k thru 2018.

We know Tesla has sold over 250,000 Model 3’s since inception. So there’s more of them out there than XT5’s.

Now, go to (carvana, Carmax, etc) and see how many used XT5’s you find vis-a-vie Model 3’s.

It’s anecdotal, but I’d say nobody’s dumping their 3. :)

84716BC7-6313-443D-913C-E158F527CC92.jpeg

Nah, no blowback at all.... but I’d disagree with the notion that it’s “big” on the used circuit. Popular, yes. In demand, absolutely. Massive supply of them? Hardly. In fact, I see very few - relatively speaking, of course - on the market.

For comparison sake ... my previous vehicle was a Cadillac XT5. Caddy sells ~60k of them per year. Top seller for Cadillac. Been on the market since 2016. Cumulative sales, about 160k thru 2018.

We know Tesla has sold over 250,000 Model 3’s since inception. So there’s more of them out there than XT5’s.

Now, go to (carvana, Carmax, etc) and see how many used XT5’s you find vis-a-vie Model 3’s.

It’s anecdotal, but I’d say nobody’s dumping their 3. :)

View attachment 432369
No body can dump because the resale value keeps going lower and lower. Lol

In ten years what will you do with it? What do you think the value will be?
Effective range?

Battery warranty is for 75% after 8 years.
In ten years if the battery degrades to 75% it will give me 180 miles which is more like 130 miles because I won't be driving below 20% battery. It will be only a commuter car.
I doubt I will get a new battery for it for $5000.(?)
That's a really good question. I don't know is the best and shortest answer I can give you. If my battery degrades to 75% it will be at 232 which is close to SR+? I bet it'll be better than that as I'll be driving it MAYBE 4,000/yr. I didn't buy it as a rally car or commuting car or a travel the US car. I bought it as a future proof of my (our) own mobility and independence. What would a new complete battery cost then? It might well be worth replacing it. 10 yrs is a long time...well, once you get to a certain point in life.