Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest Software Update breaks "Folder View" (USB Audio)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

d.c.palmer

10 years of EV driving
Feb 17, 2017
Oxford, England
Having just installed the latest software update (2019.12.1.1), I find that the audio system is - once again - messed up.

Specifically, this is when navigating by "Folder View" from a USB Stick. The files used to appear alphabetically, but no more! They're now randomly arranged - in fact, they're almost arranged in reverse, but not quite, e.g.,

IMG_5810.jpg

Now, when I use the scroll bar on the right to move to the bottom, I get the following:-

IMG_5811.jpg

So there's a bit of ordering - in reverse! - but lots of randomness too.

I should note that these files are one level down. The top level of my memory stick has about 6 folders for different genres, e.g., "Classical", "Language", "Humour" - these are in the correct order (but that may be down to luck).

I called Tesla support and they weren't aware of the problem. They told me to delete any hidden files (e.g., Mac ".DS_STORE" files) - which I have done - but still the problem.

This is a Kensington Hyper-X 256 GB memory stick with about 220 GB of music. It takes the system about 15 minutes to load the full contents.

Has anyone else had similar problems since the latest system update?

• Informative
Reactions: StarLog and neroden
Have you tried rebooting the MCU? When I received 2019.12 I had a weird issue with the browser. As I typed a letter in the address bar the cursor reset back to the first position so that when I typed fast.com it actually typed out moc.tasf. A reboot resolved the issue and that is what I have been doing once an upgrade has completed. Still waiting on 2019.12.1.1 to get pushed but am eager to see if multichannel flac support has been added (doubtful).

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden
I do not know if this will help. I have mp3 files on my usb drive divided into folders. A couple of years ago Tesla changed the media player and I found that Tesla changed the criteria for sorting the music to be based on the track titles. To get the songs in the order I wanted them I added a 4 digit number in front of every song to indicated an album number and a track number. Everything worked great for a couple of years.

With 2019.12.1 Tesla changed the sorting criteria again. From what I have been able to tell, the tracks in each folder are now being sorted by the track number. In my case what that did was play every track #1 from every album in my folder before playing the second track from every album in that folder and so on. What I have done with one folder so far is change the track # of every track in that folder to the 4 digit number I put in front of the title a couple of years ago. I used these same numbers for consistency. For that one Folder, I now have all my tracks in the proper order once again.

Now I just have to do the same thing to the other 60+ folders.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
Just received 2019.12.1.2 this morning and can confirm the ordering of folders under Folders is all over the place. Even the albums within the Artist folder is disorganized. Also confirm no multichannel flac support (yet; I'm hopeful someday it will be).

• Informative
With 2019.12.1 Tesla changed the sorting criteria again. From what I have been able to tell, the tracks in each folder are now being sorted by the track number..

Thanks for the info, but I don't think this really helps with the underlying problem - which is that the folders are now randomly organised. This has nothing to do with track numbers - the folders are just folders; they don't have track numbers or any other metadata for that matter.

Given that we have the option of a very-specific "Folder View", then surely, the only way this can be listed is alphabetically...

...so come on Tesla, stop messing about with arcade games and whoopee cushions - and spend some serious time on quality assurance for things that drivers actually use on the go. Otherwise, the audio system is becoming a potential safety hazard.

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: David29 and neroden
Having just installed the latest software update (2019.12.1.1), I find that the audio system is - once again - messed up.

Specifically, this is when navigating by "Folder View" from a USB Stick. The files used to appear alphabetically, but no more! They're now randomly arranged - in fact, they're almost arranged in reverse, but not quite
[...]
Has anyone else had similar problems since the latest system update?

interesting... I updated to 2019.12.1.1 a few days ago, and in Folder view my USB folders are (thankfully) still listed in alphabetical order.

not sure if this makes any difference but my USB is organized with only one level of folders
i.e Root level of USB -> ArtistFolder

where I have one folder per artist, and contained within each artist's folder is all songs by that artist. No other folders or levels of hierarchy. (I do this to be able to shuffle all songs by an artist, a basic feature lacking in Tesla's USB player).

• Informative
After I posted I saw that my issue was not the same as yours, but I wonder if there is something in common with the way Tesla is now handling a second level Folder and a track. In other words, maybe there is some place that a folder is assigned a numerical position kind of like a track. The tracks use to be arranged alphabetically now they are tracked numerically. Maybe the same thing applies for second level folders too. Just an idea.

I do not have any second tier folders on my usb drive. I will say that all of my 60 or so first level Folders are in exactly the right alphabetical order.

• Informative
I am on 2019.12.1.1 and my USB folder display / navigation is still ok.
My folder hierarchy is Root > Artist > Album name. Every song is mp3 tagged correctly with the PC program mp3tag, I know that shouldn't matter as far as folder display goes but I thought I'd mention it.

All my songs, albums and all my folders are in order. There is a group of nested levels, but all of those show up in alpha order. I have a single song in the root, and it only shows up as the first folder. Which is they way it was before. I have "UHF" if it makes a difference

not sure if this makes any difference but my USB is organized with only one level of folders

This may be part of the problem. I have a small number of top-level folders - which are currently in alphabetical order. However, each top-level folder is then sub-divided into many second-level folders, each of which contain third-level folders (this is the only sensible way to organise "Classical" music), e.g.,

Folder Level 1: Classical
Folder Level 2: ....<Composer 1 Name>
Folder Level 3: ........<Work A Name>
Folder Level 4: ............<Movement 1>
Folder Level 4: ............<Movement 2>
Folder Level 4: ............<Movement 3>
Folder Level 3: ........<Work B Name>

Folder Level 2: ....<Composer 2 Name>
Folder Level 3: ........<Work A Name>

etc.

The important point to make is that this all worked before - and now it's broken.

I suspect it was simply some lazy programming error (and/or the - mistaken - assumption that everyone always uses low-fi streaming and so it really doesn't matter about USB music playback).

Last edited:
Just a quick message to say that this bug now appears to be fixed.

Yesterday, Tesla pushed a software update… to my wife's car - slight mix up there! The good news is that in this version (2019.16.1.1 697c2ff) deeply-nested folders in USB "Folder View" are now arranged alphabetically. I'm hoping this update gets pushed to my car A.S.A.P.