Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I got a notification saying that a new software update was available. Excitedly I clicked OK and let the car do its thing and update itself. And lo and behold with this new update, Tesla decided it was a good idea to delete all of my driver profile, Homelink, Bluetooth and other settings.

I swear to god I feel that Tesla is becoming a dumber and more corrupt company as each day passes by. Their customer service has gone from horrendous to nightmarish over the past 3 ish years and now even their software updates cannot be trusted anymore. Yeah first world problem I know but F Tesla for not doing its due diligence prior to software release and deleting every setting that an owner meticulously saved. Incredibly frustrating.

This company NEEDS competition. It is sitting on its laurels and has developed a bad attitude that I spit on. This was a company in 2011-12 that I strongly believed in and strongly rooted for (I still do). But now its become as bad if not worse than your Fords, Chevys, BMWs of the world with its don't give a F attitude towards customer satisfaction. I cannot wait for a formidable competitor to become big so I can jump ship onto another EV. I am sick and tired of this company that I do not recognize anymore.

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
This is far more likely an indication that your emmc chip is failing and the boot sequence couldn't read the /home partition (where your settings are stored) and the MCU wiped and restored a new /home folder to make things work.

What vintage is your car? I'm inclined to worry about your emmc more than bugs in the latest release.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman and whitex
This is far more likely an indication that your emmc chip is failing and the boot sequence couldn't read the /home partition (where your settings are stored) and the MCU wiped and restored a new /home folder to make things work.

What vintage is your car? I'm inclined to worry about your emmc more than bugs in the latest release.
Thank you. This is very informative. What is the EMMC chip? Could you explain it in plain English?

I’m not sure though if this is isolated to me because I researched online and found that this happened to quite a few newer Model 3 owners too. That said my car is a late 2016 MS.

Of course I am out of warranty and Tesla being the bunch of ah that they have become in treating customers terribly I’m sure I’ll have to shell money out of pocket entirely for getting this fixed. Hopefully this was a glitch and not some major hardware fault.

Thank you. This is very informative. What is the EMMC chip? Could you explain it in plain English?

I’m not sure though if this is isolated to me because I researched online and found that this happened to quite a few newer Model 3 owners too. That said my car is a late 2016 MS.

Of course I am out of warranty and Tesla being the bunch of ah that they have become in treating customers terribly I’m sure I’ll have to shell money out of pocket entirely for getting this fixed. Hopefully this was a glitch and not some major hardware fault.
The MCU in your car has a memory chip which is it’s storage device (think hard drive) to save all your settings and info. This emmc chip wears out over time and then is unable to read or write data properly. Expected lifespan is about 3-4 years on the chips. Your right at that point.

The fix is to have Tesla replace the emmc chip ($250-$500, I’ve seen varying prices quoted) with a newer generation one that lasts much longer; or, to do the mcu2 upgrade (totally worth it because you get a much faster MCU and lots of new features) for around $2,500 or so.

The MCU in your car has a memory chip which is it’s storage device (think hard drive) to save all your settings and info. This emmc chip wears out over time and then is unable to read or write data properly. Expected lifespan is about 3-4 years on the chips. Your right at that point.

The fix is to have Tesla replace the emmc chip ($250-$500, I’ve seen varying prices quoted) with a newer generation one that lasts much longer; or, to do the mcu2 upgrade (totally worth it because you get a much faster MCU and lots of new features) for around $2,500 or so.

Super helpful! I appreciate your time walking me through the above. Dang it, I should prepare to shell out some needless money now.