Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch is Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screenshot 2023-12-02 072054.jpg

This guy really needs to get a life...and a new car. Better luck next time. I'm sorry you got scammed by Tesla. I'll probably be next.

Well, it happened.
Could have gone better. In many ways.
Could have gone worse. Franz could have broken another window with his girly baseball toss.

It will be interesting to see what it costs to insure one.

Has anyone been convinced to convert their deposits into actual orders?
So I'm still thinking about it. I don't want to do anything rash and will wait to let it all sink in. Tesla hasn't emailed me to order so I still have time. Also, I don't NEED a truck. We have a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel that is our farm vehicle. It hauls any trailer I need and with the seats down can carry chicken feed and hay just fine. Yes, we could use a truck as it could haul more of the above plus people but it's not a "we need it now" thing. So no pressure to buy but I was hoping that CT would make the decision easy. Alas that is not the case.

High points:
-4 wheel steering
-Performance (I am a sucker for quick acceleration)
-Steer by wire (what the S/X Refresh should have had)
-Lockable diffs (better than braking one wheel like all other Teslas)
-Factory secure Bed cover
-My wife loves the return of the yacht floor (her 2012 MS had this and misses it in her 2018 MS).
-240V/40A (9.6kW) continuous power in the bed. I think this is the largest offered in the industry. Lightning is 240V/30A (7.2kW) - I don't know what Rivian offers. I like the idea of just being able to plug in the vehicle to my house in an emergency without needing thousands of dollars of equipment for something that will happen once every 3 years. Just build a male-male 14-50 cable, throw the main breaker (or pull the meter) to isolate from the grid, unplug mobile connector from wall, plug in truck to wall, power.

Low points:
-No driver's IC in a $100k vehicle. I have had a 3/Y service loaner a couple of times and I HATE not having a driver's screen. Tesla kept it in the S/X as the recognized that those are their premium offerings but now so is the CT yet they opted not to have a driver's screen. Ridiculous.
-Frunk. The frunk is comically small compared to the Lightning.
-Range. For $100k I still don't get 500 (or even 400) miles of range. Ridiculous.
-Price. Related to the above. Either give me premium range for my premium price or give me low range for a low price. This is the worst of all worlds.
-No spare tire. Wait, I can pay extra for one and then have it take up bed space? Fail.
-Steering wheel - this one could go either way. The yoke in my MXP was an absolute joke. I replaced it with an aftermarket one as soon as I could (this was before there was a factory option). At least the CT wheel is not a yoke - it's halfway in between.

So far it's a wash for me. I'll keep thinking and reading while I wait for my reservation to come up.

Don’t you think Elon would use street tires for the rating? Sure he would as he has fudged all the other numbers, like that BS torque number. The range numbers are that absolute best, in ideal conditions, this beast (pig) will get.
It's worse than that. I have never achieved rated range in my MXP. My lifetime average is 347Wh/mi (over 24k miles). With a 95kWh battery that yields an actual range of 273 miles vs 333 advertised so that is an 18% drop. Assuming the same % drop in the CT, the Cyberbeast will have an actual range of 262 miles.

Can and Driver has verified with actual test that Tesla massively overstates range so my estimate above is likely quite accurate:

range-reality-103-64c41f159c769.jpg

Last edited:
So I'm still thinking about it. I don't want to do anything rash and will wait to let it all sink in. Tesla hasn't emailed me to order so I still have time. Also, I don't NEED a truck. We have a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel that is our farm vehicle. It hauls any trailer I need and with the seats down can carry chicken feed and hay just fine. Yes, we could use a truck as it could haul more of the above plus people but it's not a "we need it now" thing. So no pressure to buy but I was hoping that CT would make the decision easy. Alas that is not the case.

High points:
-4 wheel steering
-Performance (I am a sucker for quick acceleration)
-Steer by wire (what the S/X Refresh should have had)
-Lockable diffs (better than braking one wheel like all other Teslas)
-Factory secure Bed cover
-My wife loves the return of the yacht floor (her 2012 MS had this and misses it in her 2018 MS).
-240V/40A (9.6kW) continuous power in the bed. I think this is the largest offered in the industry. Lightning is 240V/30A (7.2kW) - I don't know what Rivian offers. I like the idea of just being able to plug in the vehicle to my house in an emergency without needing thousands of dollars of equipment for something that will happen once every 3 years. Just build a male-male 14-50 cable, throw the main breaker (or pull the meter) to isolate from the grid, unplug mobile connector from wall, plug in truck to wall, power.

Low points:
-No driver's IC in a $100k vehicle. I have had a 3/Y service loaner a couple of times and I HATE not having a driver's screen. Tesla kept it in the S/X as the recognized that those are their premium offerings but now so is the CT yet they opted not to have a driver's screen. Ridiculous.
-Frunk. The frunk is comically small compared to the Lightning.
-Range. For $100k I still don't get 500 (or even 400) miles of range. Ridiculous.
-Price. Related to the above. Either give me premium range for my premium price or give me low range for a low price. This is the worst of all worlds.
-No spare tire. Wait, I can pay extra for one and then have it take up bed space? Fail.
-Steering wheel - this one could go either way. The yoke in my MXP was an absolute joke. I replaced it with an aftermarket one as soon as I could (this was before there was a factory option). At least the CT wheel is not a yoke - it's halfway in between.

So far it's a wash for me. I'll keep thinking and reading while I wait for my reservation to come up.

It's worse than that. I have never achieved rated range in my MXP. My lifetime average is 347Wh/mi (over 24k miles). With a 95kWh battery that yields an actual range of 273 miles vs 333 advertised so that is an 18% drop. Assuming the same % drop in the CT, the Cyberbeast will have an actual range of 262 miles.

Can and Driver has verified with actual test that Tesla massively overstates range so my estimate above is likely quite accurate:

range-reality-103-64c41f159c769.jpg
Well said.

also, 262 miles of Tesla Range, is at 100% state of charge. So.. charging to 90%, and saving 10% at the end, means a loss of 20% more usable range. Then subtract for weather, incline and wind, if towing subtract 50%. All of sudden the big new CT is *sugar*. Maybe it can travel 100-110 miles each way in order to get home safely. Geez. What a fail.

Reactions: coleAK
Well said.

also, 262 miles of Tesla Range, is at 100% state of charge. So.. charging to 90%, and saving 10% at the end, means a loss of 20% more usable range. Then subtract for weather, incline and wind, if towing subtract 50%. All of sudden the big new CT is *sugar*. Maybe it can travel 100-110 miles each way in order to get home safely. Geez. What a fail.
You forgot the base EPA vs actual range reduction, meaning actual range is about 70% of EPA on Teslas (my experience owning three). That applies to the charge to 90% and recharge at 10% (usable range). 70 percent of that before the 50% for towing.

[...]

And therein lies the rub, for me.
I don't really need another ~300 (Tesla) mile EV. Truck or otherwise.
I do need a towing-capable vehicle that will get the job done within 150 mile radius, all year round. Without recharging that (most likely) will be inaccessible with a trailer attached, and definitely inconvenient. The longest optimistically stated 340 mile on AWD CT (at 100% SOC), will at best be 60% of that during the winter highway trips - 204 miles. 50% of that while towing - down to 102 miles. I can't even make it one-way. Under the best of circumstances.
Occasional ~450 mile one-way trips (without trailer) will not be viable either, without recharging. Which is exactly where I'm at with TM3P. So no improvement.

CT, as delivered, just doesn't cut it.
Tesla promised that it would, but failed to deliver.

I was 90% all in, but now like 90% sure I won't get one. I've also read that AP or FSD doesn't work yet in them...when the event gas so few details, rumors will spread.

I'm still, maybe, 10% in. At least until I test drive it.
Just for a weird "look at me" toy truck.
It's not good for anything else.

a

Last edited:
TIME MARK! I want to watch that brief segment!
Watch the last segment - it's toward the end of the video when Sandy brings up topics he admittedly said he shouldn't bring up in public. Then they go down a rabbit hole on their collective opinions about how they view society (which is of course somewhat subjective to say the least) - it's basically a play on Elon's recent flubs that are all over the news over the past couple of weeks.

Reactions: jebinc
Watch the last segment - it's toward the end of the video when Sandy brings up topics he admittedly said he shouldn't bring up in public. Then they go down a rabbit hole on their collective opinions about how they view society (which is of course somewhat subjective to say the least) - it's basically a play on Elon's recent flubs that are all over the news over the past couple of weeks.
Thanks!