Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lawsuit: For Noise & other annoyances

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The lawsuit laws in the US is a joke sometimes. It is one of the many reasons things cost so much. Companies have to always be ready for sometime meaningless lawsuits. Same goes with medical practice. As the result they have to buff for insurance and lawyers cost which is not cheap.

I understand there are times you need to sue on real things, like bad design resulting in accidents or lack of safety precautions or mass defects or not delivery on what is written in the contracts.

But the list above, most of which in my opinion are lame reasons.

All this does is make money for lawyers and unnecessary cost of taxpayers $ for court processing
There are empirical studies on this. Lawsuits add almost nothing to the cost of goods and are an important check on corporate malfeasance. If anything, the "lawsuit laws" are heavily weighted in favor of corporate defendants, who employ legions of high-paid lawyers from Ivy League schools.

Reactions: RAW84 and smilepak
There are empirical studies on this. Lawsuits add almost nothing to the cost of goods and are an important check on corporate malfeasance. If anything, the "lawsuit laws" are heavily weighted in favor of corporate defendants, who employ legions of high-paid lawyers from Ivy League schools.
It was over generalizing statement that include medical practitioners. They have to pay for insurance against malpractice law suit. As the result, the cost will trickle down one way or anothet

...What did the customer do wrong?

I don't know much about the background of the case but in general, the law protects consumers from "substantial defects".

And there lies the problem.

There were times that I demonstrated the automatic door unlocking by approaching the car but it wouldn't happen the first time so I had to repeat the demonstration again.

It's embarrassing for me but everyone was happy because repeated demonstration worked.

To me, that is not "substantial defects" because although I could be laughed at for a failed demonstration at first but I can still manually unlock the car by touching the handle or the key fob.

That embarrassment does not affect the safety of the car or its drivability.

However, to this plaintiff, it is!

However, most would display displeasure right away and claim lemon as soon as possible.

Holding on the car for more than a year and a half then claiming lemon is unusual.

Uh, noise, wind or otherwise is covered under warranty. Get into service if you have an actual air leak, hissing, droning or what not. A tech will take a drive with you and really listen. Then replace, gaskets, make adjustments to doors, windows, rear hatch etc. Just ask. My service center tamed all types of little to big noises. Is it BMW, or Chrysler 300 series quiet, unfortunately not, but service can do wonders.

It's excluded from the CPO warranty. See the second to last bullet. They have fixed stuff for me before but under goodwill not warranty repairs. Now that I know it's not covered, I don't ask anymore.

IMG_0383.PNG

I have a 2016 Lexus ES350 and a 2016 S. The Tesla is by far MUCH quieter than the Lexus. I used to think of the Lexus as quiet before getting the Tesla. Not anymore.

I guess one can sue for just about anything in this country today. Too bad because the legitimate lawsuits are thrown in with the nonsense like this one

My experience has been the opposite. But I am comparing Model S to an Lexus LS460.
The Lexus is a lot quieter on the highway.
Model S is of course completely silent when not moving, but even the Lexus engine is quiet enough that I have walked away without turning off the car without noticing.

Model S really excels :rolleyes: when the A/C comes on - then it is the loudest car I have ever owned, including 10 year old ICEs (Nissan and Mazda).:eek:

Exactly. People have done measurements on various cars. It is the freeway where noise really matters in any car worth over 40/50K.
Lexus was one of the quietest. Acura was pretty good too. Merc/BMW were comparable to Tesla.
And yes, when the AC comes on, Tesla beats a helicopter.

In town driving, with the AC not on max - Tesla is fairly quiet.

• Funny
Reactions: 1 person
It's excluded from the CPO warranty. See the second to last bullet. They have fixed stuff for me before but under goodwill not warranty repairs. Now that I know it's not covered, I don't ask anymore.

View attachment 236757
Ok, I read that, and will continue to ask, and I ask nicely, for them to fix things that I think are not right. To date, they have, and very nicely too, given me a loaner, and fixed/and or adjusted things to make them right. I have zero complaints with Tesla service. Of course, it is 100% valid to expect not to have these problems. CPO, or new.

I think it can never hurt to to ask.

View attachment 236757

Ok, I read that, and will continue to ask, and I ask nicely, for them to fix things that I think are not right. To date, they have, and very nicely too, given me a loaner, and fixed/and or adjusted things to make them right. I have zero complaints with Tesla service. Of course, it is 100% valid to expect not to have these problems. CPO, or new.

I think it can never hurt to to ask.
Yeah, that's not how I read the contract. I disagree that all noise-related issues are excluded.

It was over generalizing statement that include medical practitioners. They have to pay for insurance against malpractice law suit. As the result, the cost will trickle down one way or anothet

The cost of lawsuits also adds very little to the overall healthcare system costs despite public perception. Multiple studies have estimated the costs at 2.4-2.9% of the total health costs in the US and that includes "defensive medicine" whereby practitioners do additional tests because they perceive it will lower their liability. Don't get me wrong - tort reform would warm my heart as a doctor but the reality is that the impact on the system is generally far less than most realize.

Yeah, that's not how I read the contract. I disagree that all noise-related issues are excluded.

I agree, if a noise issue was a symptom of something else wrong like my triangle windows being noisy and leaking they fixed that under warranty, but my dash rattles have all been fixed under goodwill. My pano was just replaced for water leaking, and the new one has more wind noise than the last one, but I am waiting until it develops an actual problem before bringing it in.