Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaking roof!? Serious concerns about Tesla waterproofing...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you look at the posts on here for issues it is amazing what % relate to water in some way or other. It is clearly one of the cars weak points. whether its enough to put anyone off is entirely up to them. Has not put me off and I lost a chunk of my floor to a big puddle!

So, every time I make up mind to place an order, yet another serious defect suddenly pops up in my news feed. :eek: Has anyone else seen this video about a 5 day old M3 with water leaking through and into the cabin?

This kind of thing just shouldn't be happening on a "mass market" vehicle that costs in excess of £50k. I think for me, this is the final nail in the coffin and I'll wait another year to see if production matures. :(

Hey Man!

The video here is of my Tesla =( . Thanks for posting! Just wanted to update the situation. The service centre rang to day asking for me to accept returns. So went through the work carried out and after they ran tests they decided there was no faults and won't be repairing the vehicle...

I really don't know what to do, i really want a model 3 but i won't accept it back unless they fix the issue. I handed to the service station on day 5 of ownership. Now it is around day 10 or so, so i'm over the return period and even if they do refund the car i will be without a vehicle for at least 2 months until the new one is made.

I will be making an update video, i have recorder everything so far. Customer service wasn't the best either, felt like i was being accused of lying to them. Have sent them extensive footage in the hope they look into it further.

Anyone else had this issue? What should i do?

Jordan

This is a feature for the UK only, in car swimming pool!

If you get this happens to anyone, just return the car and ask for a refund or a replacement, I think its unlikely to be a gradual thing and its either broke or it isn't so you should know within the first few weeks of rain.

I would love a replacement, but it looks like they are not going to accept there is an issue..

Not diminishing the problem but the video thumbnail looks like pure clickbait and makes me doubt the authenticity of the person behind it. As said above he could easily have made the problem better, but chose to pout about it for ad revenue.

Just read through a few of the comments on here too. I really and honestly wish this hadn't happened. I am the biggest Tesla fan, but i feel theres a huge issue of Tesla fanboys trying to silence any valid criticism of a the product. I will always be fully open and honest on the channel. The channel isn't monitzed so no ad revenue.

Anyway all love.
Thanks
Jordan

Just read through a few of the comments on here too. I really and honestly wish this hadn't happened. I am the biggest Tesla fan, but i feel theres a huge issue of Tesla fanboys trying to silence any valid criticism of a the product. I will always be fully open and honest on the channel. The channel isn't monitzed so no ad revenue.

Anyway all love.
Thanks
Jordan
Welcome to the Forum - Did you get the SSD? ;)

It would be dreadful to have this happen but ...

The kid's got more idea ... put a towel down! Don't keep making it drip on to the exposed console! (and yes, the screen gets warm let's just not imply this is another fault even though you know it's ok because we see it later in the video ... and don't keep poking at the console covers to make them look like they don't work properly when in fact you just need to touch them lightly ... and that pained face when describing the drips on the "chairs" (the rest of the English speaking world calls them seats). Sorry, but the approach used in this video makes me wonder about the motivation of its maker.

It wasn't dripping when i found the vehicle, the water was already there. Cleaned it up straight after the video. Also as a new owner and a guy with big hands the centre console has taken some getting used to =D . Thanks for watching

Anyway all love.
Thanks
Jordan
Fair enough.

I'm always VERY suspicious of people who have those kind of clickbaity video thumbnails, no offence. Your video is also just over 10 minutes long too, the threshold for multiple ads monetisation...

Sorry you've had this problem - hope you get it resolved.

Reactions: pow216 and Harv3y
Hey Man!

The video here is of my Tesla =( . Thanks for posting! Just wanted to update the situation. The service centre rang to day asking for me to accept returns. So went through the work carried out and after they ran tests they decided there was no faults and won't be repairing the vehicle...

I really don't know what to do, i really want a model 3 but i won't accept it back unless they fix the issue. I handed to the service station on day 5 of ownership. Now it is around day 10 or so, so i'm over the return period and even if they do refund the car i will be without a vehicle for at least 2 months until the new one is made.

I will be making an update video, i have recorder everything so far. Customer service wasn't the best either, felt like i was being accused of lying to them. Have sent them extensive footage in the hope they look into it further.

Anyone else had this issue? What should i do?

Jordan

Thanks for replying to this post - I am utterly shocked Tesla are being so blaise with you. Personally, I would never accept a car back that had that level of water leakage. Ultimately, this reputation Tesla have for poor customer service is just becoming the status quo.

I agree with your other comment also about certain Tesla "fans" that try and silence any sort of valid criticism. I am 100% behind Tesla's mission and have long lusted after a Tesla as my next car - but I'm also not about to spend that kind of money on a car that has so many reported issues. At this point, literally every Tesla YouTube channel has experienced at least one serious fault within the first 3 months of ownership and that's extremely concerning to me. (Just to reiterate, it's concerning to me - I appreciate others don't feel this way and that's absolutely fine)

So, every time I make up mind to place an order, yet another serious defect suddenly pops up in my news feed. :eek: Has anyone else seen this video about a 5 day old M3 with water leaking through and into the cabin?

This kind of thing just shouldn't be happening on a "mass market" vehicle that costs in excess of £50k. I think for me, this is the final nail in the coffin and I'll wait another year to see if production matures. :(

Care bear.

Of the hundreds of thousands of Model 3s built so far, I think this is the first time I've come across a report of a leaking roof. I'm sure there are one or two others out there, but seriously, this is not a wide-spread problem.

Thanks for replying to this post - I am utterly shocked Tesla are being so blaise with you. Personally, I would never accept a car back that had that level of water leakage. Ultimately, this reputation Tesla have for poor customer service is just becoming the status quo.

I agree with your other comment also about certain Tesla "fans" that try and silence any sort of valid criticism. I am 100% behind Tesla's mission and have long lusted after a Tesla as my next car - but I'm also not about to spend that kind of money on a car that has so many reported issues. At this point, literally every Tesla YouTube channel has experienced at least one serious fault within the first 3 months of ownership and that's extremely concerning to me. (Just to reiterate, it's concerning to me - I appreciate others don't feel this way and that's absolutely fine)

I will keep it updated. I'm crossing my fingers that they look into it further and repair the car. So far doesn't look good, but i'm the same as you, i have loved what tesla do for a longtime, i'm hoping i was just the unlucky one this time around.

It wasn't dripping when i found the vehicle, the water was already there. Cleaned it up straight after the video. Also as a new owner and a guy with big hands the centre console has taken some getting used to =D . Thanks for watching

I'm confused. Don't have 10 mins to watch your video. Have you seen leak itself?, or did you just find water after the event? Have you had a recurrence?

I agree with your other comment also about certain Tesla "fans" that try and silence any sort of valid criticism. I am 100% behind Tesla's mission and have long lusted after a Tesla as my next car - but I'm also not about to spend that kind of money on a car that has so many reported issues.

Especially on twitter, it seems the ones with the largest following will block/ignore you if you don't agree with them or have anything negative to say, same with the some of the YouTubers its actually beyond a joke and doesn't help anyone.

My next EV probably won't be a Tesla unless they sort their act out.

Reactions: JustUK
I would love a replacement, but it looks like they are not going to accept there is an issue..

You have options but you obviously have to be prepared to take action, you can ask for a reduction in price as the vehicle had a fault when picked up if you go through the sales of goods act and return the car then they will unlikely let you order another one. Your options are let them fix the car and hope they get it done within 3 months (kinda not joking) or get yourself a refund and buy a different car.

I'm confused. Don't have 10 mins to watch your video. Have you seen leak itself?, or did you just find water after the event? Have you had a recurrence?
You have options but you obviously have to be prepared to take action, you can ask for a reduction in price as the vehicle had a fault when picked up if you go through the sales of goods act and return the car then they will unlikely let you order another one. Your options are let them fix the car and hope they get it done within 3 months (kinda not joking) or get yourself a refund and buy a different car.

I'm not looking forward to the whole process to be honest. At the moment they have refused to repair it as it passed their test . I really want the model 3 but don't really know where to go with it from here.

Ask them "what their test consisted of " was it run a hose over it and see if there was water ingress . If you take it back may I suggest that you set up a camera inside the car next time it rains heavily (shouldnt be long to wait) and record the water coming in
Then they have to take the problem seriously

Reactions: Blueskye
I know it's not in the same price league but Leaf's have had water ingress issues too:

https://www.speakev.com/threads/front-strut-top-bearing-failure.135124/

fortunately I saw the post and took remedial action before strut failure. They've been building cars for a lot longer and at high volume.

Kia plug in was in and out of service centre due to charge port issue. Took 12m to get it right.

Seat Alhambra had diesal issues.

Tesla been most reliable so far ........ fingers crossed though!

Reactions: Roy W.